The High Sierra Passes thread. Tales and Photos

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by wrk2surf, Dec 5, 2016.

1. michaeln

michaeln What're YOU lookin' at? Supporter

Oddometer:
    88 is and will be open, but it's a big disappointment compared to 108. Going through Hope Valley is always nice though.
  2. Parx400

Parx400 Long timer

Oddometer:
    thats my plan. I'm trying to get down to twain heart though from 395/ walker.
  3. michaeln

Oddometer:
    Agreed, 88 is a sucky way to get to Twain Harte, but I think it will be the best available at that time.
  4. michaeln

Oddometer:
    Gotta get my mountain pass fix ... I believe I will ride over 88 tomorrow and have lunch in Markleeville.
  5. michaeln

Oddometer:
    I did ride over 88 / Carson pass and had lunch at Ali's in Markleeville.

Very little traffic, and the snow is really melting rapidly.

A week or so when I did this ride you could ride from Markleeville on 89 to Monitor Pass, but 4 was blocked right there at the turnoff for Monitor.

Today 4 was open up to the gate at 7000 feet, so you can ride that wonderful stretch along Silver Creek. They have repaired whatever had the road closed.
    23103a likes this.
  6. duitswes

duitswes NAM Biker in CA

Oddometer:
    Hiked off 108 today. Snow patches start at 6500 feet. I gave up at 7500 ft -- could not follow the trail anymore. Nearly froze my feet crossing a stream.

This is gonna take a while.
    Andrew likes this.
  7. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    Tioga will be a while..

[​IMG]

at least the signs and rooftop is showing finally
    BrockEvan and michaeln like this.
  8. michaeln

Oddometer:
    From CalTrans District 10:

UPDATE: CLEARING OF STATE ROUTE 120/TIOGA PASS

Here's an update on State Route 120/Tioga Pass, courtesy of Caltrans District 9. District 9 clears this route from the east, while Yosemite National Park clears the route inside its boundaries.

Caltrans crews have cleared snow on State Route 120 west to the top of the pass and met up with Yosemite National Park road crews who are clearing snow from Tioga Road inside the park.

Work continues with removing snow from the shoulders, road repair and rock removal. Extensive damage occurred to guardrail from the heavy snow and requires repair before the highway can be safely opened to the traveling public. There is no estimated date for reopening the highway at this time.
  9. michaeln

Oddometer:
    CalTrans District 9 report from today:

This is the District 9 Seasonal Pass Status as of Thursday, June 8, 2017:

State Route 108 – Sonora Pass

Crews have reached the summit but continue to remove snow and repair the highway. Route reopening is scheduled for Friday, June 9th at noon, but is subject to current weather conditions.

State Route 120 West – Tioga Pass (from the Junction of US 395 to the Yosemite National Park Gate)
    Caltrans crews have cleared snow on State Route 120 west to the top of the pass and met up with Yosemite National Park road crews who are clearing snow from Tioga Road inside the park. Work continues with removing snow from the shoulders, road repair and rock removal. Extensive damage occurred to guardrail from the heavy snow and requires repair before the highway can be safely opened to the traveling public. There is no estimated date for reopening the highway at this time.

State Route 203 - From the Mammoth Mountain Parking Lot to Minaret Vista
    Snow removal will begin on June 12, 2017. There is no estimated date for reopening the highway at this time.

State Route 270 – Bodie Road – Opened May 15, 2017

State Route 89 – Monitor Pass – Opened May 8, 2017

State Route 168 West – Bishop Creek – Opened April 24, 2017

State Route 120 East – Mono Mills – Opened April 14, 2017

State Route 158 – June Lake Loop – Opened April 14, 2017

All information is subject to change due to weather conditions.
    23103a and renogeorge like this.
  10. Andrew

Andrew Optimus Primer Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tioga two weeks ago...

[​IMG]
    BrockEvan and 23103a like this.
  11. michaeln

Oddometer:
    Based on CalTrans' press release saying Sonora Pass would be open at noon today, i got there about 2 minutes to noon. Barricades still up, ROAD CLOSED.

Talked to locals and the folks at Kennedy Meadows Resort, and they had been told by CalTrans they put the opening off until Monday because of expected snow over the weekend. They don't want to open it today and close it again Sunday. It was soupy up there, all the way from about Strawberry to Kennedy Meadows was socked in with fog and drizzle.

Fortunately I was smart enough to do this exploratory trip in my car. ;-) It would have been dismal and dangerous on a motorcycle.

Now I just read another CalTrans press release that said now they are going to open Sonora Saturday (they didn't say which one), and there is no prediction for when Tioga Pass will be open.

In any case, I don't believe CalTrans. I will believe it when I call Kennedy Meadows and they say it's open.
    browneye likes this.
  12. skag

skag No Monkeys

Oddometer:
    Shit.
    Officials are signaling that although plans were to swing open the gates at the Highway 108/Sonora Pass at noon today, a decision was made to delay it due to incoming precipitation and perhaps make an announcement tomorrow if an opening can happen.
    From down here it looked dismal. Glad I waited.
  13. michaeln

Oddometer:
    Yep, and since I wasn't smart enough to wait, at least I drove my car so was in total comfort.
  14. bdesj

bdesj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good thinking!
    Bummed it didn`t open today, but with the weather looking yuck I had pretty much decided I wasn`t heading that way anyway this weekend.
  15. WasatchAdam

WasatchAdam Longtime listener, first time caller.

Oddometer:
    I'm headed from Mono Lake area to Oakhurst on Monday. I really hope Sonora pass opens otherwise it's gonna be a long detour up north. Any updates for what caltrans decided today? Forecast is for snow Sunday so even if it opens how sketchy would the ride be?

Any updates or reccomendations appreciated.
  16. michaeln

Oddometer:
    After Friday, I don't trust what CalTrans posts. If they DO open it Monday, for some reason they never do it until noon.

My plan will be to wait until sometime after noon Monday and then call Kennedy Meadows Resort. They will know, because the closure of 108 is right there at the turnoff for Kennedy Meadows. Their phone is (209) 965-3911.

If someone does call them and gets info about the opening, please post here so we don't have a bunch of people bugging them. They are nice folks, but they are not the CalTrans Information Hotline.
    WasatchAdam likes this.
  17. michaeln

Oddometer:
    From CalTrans District 10:

SR-108 over Sonora Pass will remain closed through the weekend due to weather and snow. We will provide a new update on Monday, 6/12. ‬
  18. WasatchAdam

WasatchAdam Longtime listener, first time caller.

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update and the info! I will post if I get confirmation of opening or closing. Do you know how far from the 395 the gate on the east side is? If it's only five miles up the road I might just drive up after 12 and see for myself if it's open.
  19. michaeln

Oddometer:
    Someone reported the closed gate on the East side is near the turnoff to Leavitt Lake. If so, that puts it about 10-12 miles from 395.
  20. skag

skag No Monkeys

Oddometer:
    This highway information is the latest reported as of Sunday, June 11, 2017 at 15:53 .

SR 108
    [IN THE CENTRAL CALIFORNIA AREA & SIERRA NEVADA]
    IS CLOSED FROM 26.4 MI EAST OF STRAWBERRY (TUOLUMNE CO) TO 8.7 MI WEST OF THE JCT OF US 395 (MONO CO) /SONORA PASS/ - FOR THE WINTER - MOTORISTS ARE ADVISED TO USE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE
    WasatchAdam and michaeln like this.