The Hilleberg Tent thread

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by Jedi5150, Feb 25, 2012.

1. farcall

farcall Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sure did. 43 litre tank on the white Honda XRV750 (left of photo) + 7 litre fuel bladder. Good for over 950km on the tracks we were on (slow going). I got 4.6 litres per 100km. We were able to arrange fuel (in drums) approx 750km from last fuel bowser.
  2. Daemon Angel

Daemon Angel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For the people interested in the color of the new green fabric.
    Niak 2017 in Green vs my black sweater.

I have not had the time to compare with my older Nammatj but this way you already have an idea.

Attached Files:

Bayner likes this.
  3. bjorn240

bjorn240 Good with a map!

Oddometer:
    So a few weeks ago, Hilleberg marked down their 2015 Enans to $500 on their website. Personally, I prefer the 2015 Enan to the 2016+ Enan because it is Kerlon 600 rather than Kerlon 1000 and thus saves about 100g. However, they only had red Enans and, well, I'm a green Hilleberg guy. But today, I found that Mountain Steals in Michigan has green 2015 Enans for sale, for $438, and will knock off another 10% if you sign up for their email list. So I just got a green 2015 Enan for $401 shipped. Very pleased. I had an Akto and I liked it but it seemed too robust and heavy for a single-person, no-snow shelter, so I think the Enan will meet my need for buggy climates and shoulder season solo backpacking. Will let you all know what I think when I get it, but I'm hoping it's a better 1-person complement to the cuben tarp/Nammatj2/Keron3 we use now.
  4. Bikerboy

Bikerboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There's a liquidation sale on two Hilleberg tents: Anjan 3 GT & Enan . Both 2016 models. Sale at Backcountrygear 30% of + additional 10% with coupon code 10MORE. so 40% total savings

I am not in affiliated with them . Just passing on a good deal
  5. Cycle61

Cycle61 making it up as I go Supporter

Oddometer:
    Damn that's tempting. I totally don't need a 1p tent, but still...
  6. climberevan

climberevan planning the next journey

Oddometer:
  7. Daemon Angel

Daemon Angel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok guys, here you go.
    Fabric of the older Nammatj vs the new 2017 Niak.

Note that my Nammatj has already been out for a number of nights so the sun could already have impacted the original color a bit.

As you can see the older Nammatj was clear green while the Niak tends to go to green-black.
    As you saw in my previous picture where I compared it with a black sweater, it is still green and not black.
    But clearly a lot darker than previously.

I'm not sure if the color change is on purpose or if it just an effect of a new production process or different materials.
    I liked the color of my Nammatj "better". I don't really care that much about it.

Personally I like the bright blue from Fjallraven and red from Hilleberg but they are not practical for the type of camping I do so the more stealthy the better.

Attached Files:

8. moron

moron TSM apostle 7197 666 039 Supporter

Oddometer:
    123 Jewel Avenue Pueblo CO 81004 Grated America
    Having initially limited myself to free-standing I finally decided on a Niak (the simplicity of pitching with only two poles was the clincher). I received mine Thursday and as a spring storm was moving in yesterday decided to pitch it moron style for a test of a bad situation.

I put it in the back yard on a tarp (footprint will arrive later) making a point of only staking down three corners and the vestibule (which was facing pretty much into the wind / gusts to 45 MPH were forecast but I was sheltered enough my guess is the strongest might have reached 30) with forecasts of up to 8" of comparatively wet snow; I got in last evening early and abandoned ship about 0400 this morning when falling branches persuaded me to come inside.

Snow load was no issue structurally (the walls are steep enough most fell off by itself) and more importantly when the outer walls were in contact with the inner walls due to snow loading there was no water ingress via seepage (even through the mesh on the door) or whatever, period.

If you guyed this properly with all six lines I imagine it would get you through some serious wind and snowfall even though this is not a 4 season tent.

At 6'1" I consider it just a teensy bit short to stretch out my feet.

As has been noted IMO very few people would readily identify the color as green - it's little like the green you see in all the promotional photos; if they made this in sand I'd be tickled pink.

Nice tent, Hilleberg. :nod

Snow was piled high up on three sides.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Taken in 15-20 MPHish wind before the rain turned to snow - not much was happening.

9. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:
    Not much ventilation there... snow piling up on the inner tent as well?
  10. moron

moron TSM apostle 7197 666 039 Supporter

Oddometer:
    123 Jewel Avenue Pueblo CO 81004 Grated America
    Mainly on the bathtub floor where it slid off the outer wall and piled up (the wind died down when the rain turned to snow so no drifts) and I had decent ventilation via the vestibule.

I recognize this was a bizarro test but I'm now extremely confident the Niak will keep me dry during anything I'm likely to ask it to do.

And I'm glad I moved inside - that branch doesn't look like much but it would have taken out at least one pole.

[​IMG]
    Anders- likes this.
  11. StriderTB

StriderTB Strudel

Oddometer:
    Did a little weekend trip with some friends at a local state park in NJ. Weather called for a slight chance of thundershowers. Overnight, we got slightly more than a thundershower.

My friends sent some texts, asking if we were going to be ok, which is why I stopped the video before the most intense part. Fired it back up for another 45 second clip.

My wife and I were perfectly dry in the Keron 4GT. One friend in my Marmot Limestone 4 got a little splashing up under the rainfly from the strength of the rain, but was otherwise fine. My other friend had a Coleman Instant that sprang a big leak in the roof from some water pooling up, so he had some drying off to do in the morning. It was quite the experience.

[​IMG]

My wife loves her Sierra Design Frontcountry Bed.
  12. Rhino

Rhino Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just put my original version Anjan 3 GT, green, with additional Mesh Inner Tent up for sale on the Flea Market - Other this afternoon. Never used it - wife bought me a Nallo 4 GT!
  13. marc-s

marc-s photographer

Oddometer:
    We got us a new tent this weekend: Kaitum 3 GT :clap
  14. WRW9751

WRW9751 7th Day Adventurist

Oddometer:
    I have this same tent. You won't be dissatisfied with it in any way! If there is one draw back it would be the size of the tents footprint, it takes a fairly large area to set up.
  15. marc-s

marc-s photographer

Oddometer:
    our sales guy told us not to buy the footprint anyway as long as we're not regularly camping on rocky ground... He'll replace the tent floor every couple of years for less money and I don't have to carry the additional weight. Or I should get a tarp as a floor, because I can use that in multiple ways. And I like that concept a lot!

We looked at a Helsport Lofoten and compared it to similar Hilleberg tents... but the additional height in the rear section of the Kaitum, and the extra entrance are a blast!
  16. StriderTB

StriderTB Strudel

Oddometer:
    Eh, the footprint is cheaper than having to worry about shipping a tent out for repairs. I also love that the footprint, once installed, can just stay in place. I don't have to worry about unfolding a tarp and tucking it under the edges. If I'm pitching in a storm, it's already taken care of.

As far as added weight, my canoe doesn't seem to mind the additional pound. ;)
  17. StriderTB

StriderTB Strudel

Oddometer:
    Greetings from the mothership!

[​IMG]

This little video sums up my most recent Indian Lake trip.

Not a drop got in to the tent.
    AdvMoto18, pilesofmiles and RumRunner like this.
  18. pilesofmiles

pilesofmiles Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Blue Ridge mountains were calling...

It was a perfect weekend to head up to Mountain View dualsport motorcycle campground in Elk Park, NC and finally do a little shake down of our new tent and gear. The owners were so welcoming and kind making us feel right at home.

We also rode up into Tennessee (Roan Mtn) to XPLOR a little. Our tent a Keron 4GT went up quickly and is the easiest tent we have ever pitched. As you can see we are new tent campers with the Keron and we still need to tweak our pitch, noticing a few slack areas. We'll work on that. We took care not to pitch under any trees to avoid the tree sap issues. The Keron has a big footprint for sure!

Our sleeping bags and air mattresses were more than adequate. Overall a great weekend of riding and camping off the bikes.
    A special thanks to Tor a forum member on here, and his wife for advice and help on our camping gear choices.
    Great gear makes all the difference!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

A little slack needed to be taken up at bottom. We'll get better with pitching practice!
    image.jpeg

Kermit chairs, love em! A bit heavy yes, but comfy for sure. A beautiful view!
    image.jpeg
  19. Pavel+

Pavel+ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Marc, that sounds very suspicious. The Dealer can't do the repairs, not properly in any case as Hilleberg makes point of mentioning how difficult that material is to sew and how they have very specialized equipment and highly skilled and trained seamstresses. It would have to be sent out to Hilleberg for repairs and I suspect it would be very expensive. In your shoes I'd get on the phone and talk to the folks at hilleberg about that, before you make your final decision. I've called them twice in the past to ask questions and found both people I had a conversation with to be out of the ordinary in how helpful they were. As I hung up the phone I had the though "another good reason to go with "the best"" :)
    WRW9751 likes this.
  20. marc-s

marc-s photographer

Oddometer:
    We'll see as soon as I have an issue with the tent. But for now I'm a happy camper!

[​IMG]
    gmk999, Mtl_Biker and Magus like this.