The Hilleberg Tent thread

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by Jedi5150, Feb 25, 2012.

1. AT86

AT86 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Enjoyed the use in southern France once again[​IMG]

Gesendet von meinem SM-G950F mit Tapatalk
  2. Whitbylad.

Whitbylad. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. StriderTB

StriderTB Strudel

Oddometer:
    Nope, that's a Keron 4GT.

Also, RIP Colin, he passed in January. Easily the worst day of my life.
  4. RogerWilco

RogerWilco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ^^^ Any dog that you would take packing with you would have to have been a great companion.
  5. moron

moron TSM apostle 7197 666 039 Supporter

Oddometer:
    123 Jewel Avenue Pueblo CO 81004 Grated America
    Tuck In The Woods campground St. Helena Island SC

[​IMG]

next door to a new friend. Life is good. :nod

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She's lived in her $50 Coleman purchased at Malwart for 2 years - quite the trooper.
    phreakingeek and Cycle61 like this.
  6. Cycle61

Cycle61 making it up as I go Supporter

Oddometer:
    Snow expected in the Washington and BC cascades...its almost Hilleberg season again! :clap:happay:rayof
  7. mlax

mlax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Every season is Hilleberg season!
    phreakingeek and moron like this.
  8. StriderTB

StriderTB Strudel

Oddometer:
    Hey gang! So I'm considering the redesigned Anjan for some backpacking trips, and I was wondering how well it holds up in rain. I know the redesigned catenary cut fly helps with ventilation, but I was curious to know how it holds up when it's really coming down. I've slept through some ridiculous storms in my Keron, but that fly goes straight to the ground.
    Cycle61 likes this.
  9. Cycle61

Cycle61 making it up as I go Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Anjan is on our list this year as well. Not sure if the redesign will make much difference to the rain shedding ability, but Outdooor Gear Lab consistently rates it one of the best three season tents made.

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/camping-and-hiking/backpacking-tent/hilleberg-anjan-2-gt

It’s still thoroughly winter in the mountains here. Stuffed three of us in the Tarra last weekend at 9k feet on Rainier, stayed warm and cozy in -10°f temps and quite a bit of wind.

35B5525A-B92A-453E-A078-CD85900444C7.jpeg
    aredington, KLEINE, Anders- and 2 others like this.
  10. NickBee

NickBee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guy (and gals).

I stubbled on this thread. I’m setting up a new WR250R as a light ADV bike. My plan is to use a 30L tail bag and 25L panniers (all soft dry bags). I would love it if I could fit all my sleeping stuff in the 30L bag (tent / sleeping mat / sleeping bag / pillow).

All that being said as I look at all the 2 person tents on the Hilleberg site it seems like any of them would work well. Can anyone give me a recommendation and why? I’m 5’10” and will be traveling solo but would like room to keep riding gear safe and dry.

Thanks!!!
  11. mlax

mlax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you are traveling the world and you will be in very different climates, I would look no further than the Staika. It's a black label tent and is roughly ~650g heavier than the red label series tents. If you trip is mostly in fair climate, I would take a hard look at the Jannu and Allak - depending on the shape you like. The great think about the Staika is that it's very roomy for a 2 ppl tent.
    Okie Preacher likes this.
  12. shu

shu ...

Oddometer:
    On a WR250 you want the lightest and most compact that you can get (IMO).

I've used an AKTO for 10 years now and never found it wanting.

Plenty of room for me, my riding gear and all my luggage if I want it in there. The vestibule is great and the inner tent is slightly narrow, but long. You may have to get creative, depending on how much other gear you bring in, but it will hold it all. Obviously, this is not a tent for a guy who needs to stand up to get dressed. :lol3

It handles rain and wind very well; hot, buggy places, you'll suffer a bit.

..................shu
  13. Manray

Manray Killing Time

Oddometer:
    Hilleberg Unna. Freestanding and enough space for your height and gear. If you don't need the 4 season durability of the Unna then I would recommend the lighter and slightly more expensive 2 person tents; Rogen or Niak....both are also freestanding with enough space for moto gear.
  14. Manray

Manray Killing Time

Oddometer:
    For very hot climates, you can purchase a mesh interior tent for most Hilleberg tents. Makes using a 4 season tent in hot and humid climates comfortable.

http://us.hilleberg.com/EN/shelters/
  15. Chuck in Indiana

Chuck in Indiana Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another alternative would be a two-person tunnel tent with the extended vestibule for your riding gear, etc. For example: the Nallo 2GT or Anjan 2GT. They are not free-standing but pitch quickly and are very light weight.
  16. NickBee

NickBee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the suggestions.

To be truthful this is my 1st ADV moto and I'm not sure how / where I'm going to be using the tent. I live in northern NJ but VT/NH/ME are definitely in my travel plans. I like the idea of getting a 4 season tent and possibly adding a mesh inner if need be.

For a lighter set up what about the Soulo? Seems like there would be some room inside for some gear (maybe boots/jacket) and if I get the footprint it also covers the vestibule floor. Also it's free-standing...

I have to say the Allak was the 1at tent that caught my eye.
  17. Chuck in Indiana

Chuck in Indiana Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nick,

It sounds like you're new to tent camping off a motorcycle. I suggest you consider borrowing a tent from a friend (most people have more than one and would be willing to loan -- you may have to buy the beer) and go camping for a weekend. The experience will tell you what you need/want to take into the tent for the night, the space those items require and maybe which type of tent (dome vs tunnel) will best fit your needs. It will also give you some idea of how to pack your gear on your bike. And last, you'll get some idea of how/where you could be using a tent.

Next, I suggest you contact the H'berg office in Seattle and ask for a copy of their Tent Handbook. It will give you valuable information on the use/selection of tents plus a complete run down on all the tents they offer. Also, discuss your plans with Shannon (she normally answers the phone). She has a wealth of knowledge/experience in tenting and can offer suggestions for you to consider.

Ride safe.
  18. AdvMoto18

AdvMoto18 NORDO

Oddometer:
    Coastal SC Low Country / Land of Shrimp & Grits
    I have a Staika as well as a Unna, and in my opinion, the Staika was way too heavy and way too much tent to pack for traveling on a WR250R. You simply do not need that much tent IMO. And I love my Staika but rarely use it traveling solo.

If I was adventuring on a 250, I'd carry a bivy sack or a Hille Enan. Yet, I carry my Unna on a KTM 350 EXC throughout Baja.
  19. AdvMoto18

AdvMoto18 NORDO

Oddometer:
    Coastal SC Low Country / Land of Shrimp & Grits
    I've used my Unna in 20F temps. If you can buy only one tent, buy a 3 season; you will be far more comfortable in late spring, summer and early fall in upper NE. Then invest in a very nice cold temp bag (like from Feathered Friends) for use in the 4th season. Spring, summer, fall I use a Helinox Lite Cot and a Nemo Puffin (Luxury size as it is bigger to wrap up in). Works for me and I'm cold natured. I carry the cot all the time now. Getting off the ground speaks volumes to both comfort and staying warm , or cool if hot out.
  20. Manray

Manray Killing Time

Oddometer:
    My thoughts are slightly different. If you're going to get one tent then buy a 4 season freestanding red label Hilleberg with the optional mesh inner. My goto tent is the Unna. I found the 3 season Hillebergs light in weight but also not robust enough for long term travel, especially in open windy conditions. In contrast, the 4 season red label tents are strong and very stable in windy conditions but unfortunately very uncomfortable in hot and humid weather (above 85). The 4 season yellow inner tent doesn't have enough ventilation thus making the tent feel like a sauna (i.e. poor sleep). Replacing the yellow inner tent with the optional mesh inner solves this problem and turns the Hilleberg 4 season tents into a true year round, relatively light weight, RTW tent for use in ALL conditions. If you do plan to camp in winter like conditions with the "mesh" Hilleberg, add a few degrees warmer winter sleeping bag to compensate.