The Hilleberg Tent thread

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by Jedi5150, Feb 25, 2012.

1. AdvMoto18

AdvMoto18 NORDO

Oddometer:
    Coastal SC Low Country / Land of Shrimp & Grits
    Very good point about wind. I'm glad I had my Staika when the wind was blowing 50+MPH on the beach along the Sea of Cortez coast in Baja 2 years ago. Yet, my Unna has performed surprisingly well in 40MPH winds with all the guy lines staked out. The noise is insufferable, but, your shleter will remain standing while others fail.

I have the mesh inners for my Hilles. A must have IMO.

When it is 80F or hotter at night, and rain is in the forecast, a 4 season is going to be uncomfortable no matter how you rig it. A 3 season, Yellow Label tent is a tent built to Hille's lighter weight specifications. I find my Red Label Unna slightly more comfortable (or not quite as miserable) when hot, humid and rainy compared to my Black Label Staika; even when both are set up with the mesh inner tent.

If rain is not in the forecast and you can camp without the outer tent rigged, then it is a wash since you are simply sleeping in a mesh tent. The material used in the outer tent lends mostly to the color classification and the severity of climate the tent can withstand while still serving as a survival shelter. Most all Hille's are designed to withstand pretty significant winds that would/will destroy most other tents.

Unless you plan to camp in deep snow drifts and really cold temps in the 4th season, I would opt for a Red or Yellow Label Hille. Again, note there is not a Black Label 1 person Hille.

Good article here about tents written by Jonathan Hanson of Overland Expo.
    Cycle61 and moron like this.
  2. cwvandy

cwvandy cwvandy

Oddometer:
    I have a fabulous, like new Hilleberg Nammatji 3 Gt (with ground cloth and optional screen tent) for sale in Flea Market (Other). Used only a dozen times or so. Check it out. DSCF2095.jpg NammatjGT-3D.jpg for DSCF2094.jpg
  3. bout2ride

bout2ride Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    pm sent
  4. cwvandy

cwvandy cwvandy

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Reply sent.
  5. moron

moron TSM apostle 7197 666 039 Supporter

Oddometer:
    123 Jewel Avenue Pueblo CO 81004 Grated America
    MtnRider2 and NorthIdaho800gsa like this.
  6. Cycle61

Cycle61 making it up as I go Supporter

Oddometer:
    In the Tarra tonight at Artist Point, overlooking Washington's Mt. Baker and the North Cascades.

IMG_20190112_170916.jpg
  7. Cycle61

Oddometer:
    The view in the morning was pretty nice too. :raabia

IMG_20190113_071328.jpg
  8. Tor

Tor Imported Norwegian

Oddometer:
    Nallo 3GT

untitled-150009.jpg
    untitled-130005.jpg
    LostViking, Bikerboy and Cycle61 like this.
  9. AT86

AT86 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It has been in use last summer again 20180812_095828.jpeg
    LostViking, Cycle61 and Bikerboy like this.
  10. moron

Oddometer:
    Just assembled for the second time my new to me Soulo: Hilleberg recommends attaching the outer tent hooks to the poles starting at the bottom and spiraling up.

It's remarkable how much force it takes to hang the uppermost hooks over the high point on the poles - taut indeed even freestanding with no guy lines staked, which bodes well.

For reference I slid my 72x26 inch sleeping pad against the inner tent on the narrow end (fits snug enough to touch all sides)
    [​IMG]

leaving the other end that far away from the inner
    [​IMG]

and another angle.
    [​IMG]

I got rid of a Niak to get this having learned I wanted 4 season capability and was a bit concerned about being cramped but it's adequately spacious for this 6'1" geezer.

The sand color is just right: not too dark or light and hopefully a versatile stealth shade.

I had concerns about ventilation until I got in but the vent functions quite well and it was noticeable how much the inner warmed when you battened down the hatches.

Being a KLR kinda guy gotta say hoo boy it is nice to have quality like this. :nod
    Cycle61 and stoney4vida like this.
  11. Bug Dr.

Bug Dr. Extroverted Loner

Oddometer:
    I love my Soulo and seldom wish for more space. Only thing I would add is another vestibule and door for better cross ventilation on hotter nights. Once you get one Hillie it is easy to become addicted. I have an Akto and a Enan too. I haven't felt the need to go to a two man one yet......yet:D

Akto
    [​IMG]

Soulo
    [​IMG]
    Mike
    Cycle61 and moron like this.
  12. Cycle61

Oddometer:
    Just received the 2019 catalog, and one of my pictures is in it! They contacted me several months ago and asked about some of the shots I had posted, I sent them high-res versions, and forgot all about it until now!

[​IMG]
    Jedi5150, RumRunner, Enfo and 10 others like this.
  13. AirplaneMode

AirplaneMode n00b

Oddometer:
    G'day, I've enjoyed reading through this thread past few days. Before I started I had it down to a choice between the Soulo and an Unna but now I think I could be tempted by the Staika. I'd be solo motocamping potentially anywhere but Scotland to start with. My initial thoughts were ease of rig up and rig down and stealth but if it's doable with the slightly bigger tent then why not have a bit more comfort, I would also be keen on having the option of setting up a tarp. If anyone has experience with the tarps with these particular tents I'd be keen to hear about it. Cheers.
  14. bajadawg

bajadawg Dreamer

Oddometer:
    Moosejaw has a 30% store credit until Jan 27th (MJ30 discount code). You'll buy more gear anyway right? I bought Staika and received a $328 store credit.
  15. bajadawg

bajadawg Dreamer

Oddometer:
    Received my tent and set it up. This thing is a castle compared to the REI quarter dome 1 I used on the TAT (WR250R). This will be perfect for the GS, but I wouldn't carry it on the WR or for hiking.
    bugzilla likes this.
  16. JustAnotherDude2

JustAnotherDude2 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    These two pictures should make next years calendar! Absolutely stunning!! WOW!!!
    Cycle61 likes this.
  17. moron

Oddometer:
    Anyone have an idea for a gear loft for the Soulo?

TIA
  18. stevedo

stevedo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi, I'm looking for some input on a potential Hilleberg acquisition :-)

My wife and I are travelling around the world, two-up, on our Triumph Tiger 800XC. We started in June 2014 in Alaska and are currently in Argentina. Yes, we travel pretty slowly. In that time we've camped with our Exped Venus III about 250 times, much of that in Alaska, Canada and the National Parks in the USA. We've had some issues with the Exped and even had a brand new replacement under warranty whilst in California. Exped customer service has been excellent. We also suffered a bent pole in Death Valley when wind gusts reached about 30mph. Other tents around us were destroyed so I guess we got off pretty lightly. Camping from Mexico down for us has been sporadic. However, as we head south into places like Patagonia we will do a lot more camping again. Once finished in South America we will ship onto New Zealand and then Australia where we anticipate doing a lot more camping i.e. most of the time.

Things we like about the Exped are the interior space, two vestibules, two entrances and relatively small pack size. Our current tent has suffered from being packed for extended periods of time on the bike. No mould, the tent has never been packed for a longer period when damp or wet. I use a compression bag to make it pretty small. This has led to most of the seam tape lifting away from the material rendering the tent non-waterproof, hence the search for a new tent. I've considered trying to repair the seams with seam sealer but the repair would be over many metres of seam and not guaranteed to work. I also have some reservations about the structural integrity of the tent when faced with winds of 50 - 60 - 70mph we're likely to encounter in Patagonia.

I'm currently considering the Keron 3GT. It has a similar interior footprint to the Exped Venus III and, of course, has that massive extended vestibule to store stuff. We currently keep helmets and bike suits inside the tent and I'd like to get all riding gear outside the sleeping area for obvious reasons. The main concern I have with the Keron 3GT is the sheer length of the thing. I know that extra living/storage space comes with a price but it's just over 5 metres long, about 1 metre longer than our Exped. What about the Keron 3 I hear you ask. Well, I'm sure we'd still end up with some riding kit inside the sleeping area. The issue is if you store Ortlieb bag, 2 x helmets, 2 x pairs of boots, 2 x riding suits and sundry camping equipment e.g. pots, stove etc then getting in and out of the tent becomes a pain clambering over/around stuff. Exactly as it is with the Exped which has two similar sized vestibules to the Keron 3. The other "concern", if that's the right word, is if the Keron 3GT, being a black label tent is a bit of overkill. I never envisage us camping in snow three feet deep, for example, but on the other hand we need something robust and hard wearing. I think pack size may also be a challenge. I will not make the same mistake of storing the tent in a compression bag in a pannier for extended (weeks) periods of time. Can anybody advise of the pack size of the Keron 3GT just fly and inner tent only, loosely rolled up?

Before starting the trip we did consider a Hilleberg but couldn't get past the price. Given our experiences to date, how often and where we're likely to use it I don't have so much of an issue now "investing" in something to do the job reliably over an extended period of time.

Apologies for the ramble, I'd value any thoughts you can bring to the table that would help cement our purchasing decision.

Saludos
    Steve
    www.tiger800rtw.com
    facebook\tiger800rtw
    climberevan likes this.
  19. Bug Dr.

Bug Dr. Extroverted Loner

Oddometer:
    Steve, if you bent a pole of your Exped with only 30 mph winds I'd rule out that brand pretty quickly. I've had my Hilleberg Soulo in gusts of almost 60 mph without issue. These tents are made for extreme conditions. The black label is more robust and not just for snow.

You can't have more room without a larger foot print...…..period. Unless, I guess, if you have a two story tent. If I wanted to cover my belongings and have room to cook I'd get the GT without a doubt.
    Mike
    stevedo likes this.
  20. bjorn240

bjorn240 Good with a map!

Oddometer:
    I have a Keron 3 (and a Nammatj, and a Enan, and have previously owned a Soulo, an Akto, and a Rogen), and have spent a lot of time in GT tents too.

My personal take is that a Keron 3 is sufficient most of the time, as you can use one of the vestibules for storage and one of the vestibules for ingress/egress. This allows you to stuff the storage vestibule pretty full. Where the GT versions really come into their own is in three situations:
    (1) when you want to store something valuable and bulky "indoors" and have the minimum footprint (e.g. bike touring with a Nallo 3 GT or Nammatj 3 GT)
    (2) when you want to sit in the tent and cook and wait out bad weather (fishing in northern Sweden)
    (3) when you need maximum room in the outer for group meetings (folding back the inner) as in expedition group meetings

Outside of those three situations, I'll take two standard vestibules vs. one GT. Now in your case, you're asking about a two vestibule Keron vs a Keron with GT vestibule, and the only answer there is really - one extra pole and more footprint. While I actually think my Keron 3 is the perfect winter tent, I admit that for a motorcycle trip where weight is immaterial and you'll be sleeping out of it for a long time... I'd probably go GT.

As to Black Label vs. Red Label, I would absolutely stick with vertical head and footwalls (so that rules out Nallo and Nammatj) and I find the fully rectangular footprint of the Keron to be superior to the Kaitum. Again, if I were carrying it on my back or in a pulk I might make a different decisions, but here I think you should absolutely stick with Keron.
    stevedo and RogerWilco like this.