The Hilleberg Tent thread

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by Jedi5150, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Cycle61

Cycle61 making it up as I go Supporter

Oddometer:
    Be safe up there. Shasta is on my short list, I live about 4-5 hours away and might try it next month.
  2. bjorn240

bjorn240 Good with a map!

Oddometer:
    Yeah now they’re saying gusts up to 90 mph. I might camp at Horse Camp instead. I’ll go up Saturday am and see what conditions hold. If there looks to be wind slabs, I’ll camp lower down and ski lower angled terrain. Realistically, a summit bid does not look remotely likely. Sexy, snowy tent pics for my advrider friends? Yeah, I can manage that. LOL.

I’ll send along any useful beta I gather.
    Cycle61 likes this.
  3. Cycle61

Oddometer:
    Thanks man. Obviously not your first rodeo, so you know big mountains can go from "not fun" to "I'm gonna die" pretty damn quick.

We're looking at weekend of June 8th.
  4. Jedi5150

Jedi5150 Road Warrior

Oddometer:
    Hello Ladies and Gents, I'm the starter of this thread, and I'm glad to see it's been doing well these last 7 years. :clap

I'm selling my Nammatj 2, in excellent condition. I'm the original buyer, and it's been used less than 10 nights during the couple years I've had it. It's the new Sand color, and comes with the footprint. For the tent and footprint new, you'd pay $920.

I'm asking $620 shipped to CONUS. Paypal works best for me, at my email, "blackhawk5150@yahooDOTcom". Please feel free to email me with questions, but I'm not interested in trades. I'll probably put this up in the for sale section as well, but I thought this thread would get more views from interested folks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    bugzilla, Cycle61 and climberevan like this.
  5. Photowriter

Photowriter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Swedish Royal Patriotic Society awarded Hilleberg the Tentmakers founder Bo Hilleberg the Patriotic Society's special reward medal for business for its industry-leading entrepreneurship. Bo Hilleberg received his medal from His Royal Highness Prince Carl Philip during the annual celebration at The House of Nobles in Stockholm on May 15th.

upload_2019-5-19_23-28-41.png
  6. Bug Dr.

Bug Dr. Extroverted Loner

Oddometer:
    I am about to list my unused Hilleberg Enan in the flea market if anyone is looking for one. No sense in storing it if I'm not going to use it.
    Asking $525 with shipping to CONUS. They are $655 new.
    Mike
  7. bjorn240

Oddometer:
    Someone should buy Jedi5150s Nammatj. I just used mine on Shasta and despite 10” of snow overnight the inside stayed dry and I was comfortable all night. The tent pic is before the snow just when I set it up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Jedi5150 and JimsBeemer like this.
  8. bjorn240

Oddometer:
    Mike you should figure out whether it is a 2015 Enan with Kerlon 600 fabric (lightest) or a 2016+ Enan with Kerlon 1000 fabric (stronger). Buyers will want to know that.
  9. bjorn240

Oddometer:
    So here is my take on Shasta as a ski mountaineer. We ended up camping at Horse Camp because of projected gusts up to 90 mph at Helen Lake. We got up a little after 4, skinned up Avy Gulch and skied down in 10” fresh pow. Then we tore down the camp site and had a total survival ski down to Bunny Flat in real Sierra Cement.

I think if I were going to repeat and really push for the summit (my climbing partner was more into skiing than summiting) as a ski mountaineer I would still stay at Horse Camp and start the summit bid around 1am. Solely for the reason that the ski down is so much nicer with a 15 lbs pack than anything heavier, and the skiing between Helen and Horse Camp is really good. If I were climbing without skis (I don’t know why you would do this!) I would still camp at Lake Helen.
  10. Bug Dr.

Bug Dr. Extroverted Loner

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reminder. It's a 2017 model bought from Hilleberg so it's the Kerlon 1000 fabric.
    Mike
  11. Cycle61

Oddometer:
    Glad you're back safe. I don't have skis. Watching the weather for next weekend and it looks awful at the moment, but we have time.
  12. moron

moron TSM apostle 7197 666 039 Supporter

Oddometer:
    123 Jewel Avenue Pueblo CO 81004 Grated America
    [​IMG]

Lame, I know... did a shakedown last week to sort stuff.

When lying down the Soulo is snug for my 6'1" frame but after a couple of nights in it I have a plan. I'm dealing with a neck injury and need to sleep comfortably so use a thick sleeping pad which lifts me a bit resulting in touching the inner above the waterproof floor.

Going forward I'll use a 76" x 25" 2" or so pad which will be snugged against the foot end; that width will keep both sides of the tent a bit more away from my feet and I''ll keep my toiletry bag at the head end to move it away from my noggin.

Hardly backpacking light but since I decided to bicycle tour the decision to worry about comfort more than weight has served me well; we'll see how it works next time out.
  13. bjorn240

Oddometer:
    If no skis, and doing Avy Gulch, I would Camp at Lake Helen and start the summit bid before 4am. The new snow smoothed it out which will make walking easier, but it was a slopfest by noon. It is a beautiful mountain, Fifth Season is a great shop if you need to rent anything, and the Black Bear Diner hit the spot for post-climb renourishment.
    Cycle61 likes this.
  14. Cycle61

Oddometer:
    Saturday looks like a mess, Sunday is clearing, and Monday AM might have potential...

Screenshot_20190521-194531.png
  15. Cycle61

Oddometer:
    Bump. Went up Rainier again to Ingraham Flats (11,050'). Heavy packs because subzero conditions were predicted and we ended up tired from the extra load, chose not to push for the summit, and the weather turned out quite pleasant. 10-15 degrees, calm and clear. I'm considering an Anjan 2 for summer trips and lowland camping, the nine pound Tarra was definitely overkill for this one.

[​IMG]
  16. moron

Oddometer:
    Just listed that tent here: https://advrider.com/f/threads/hilleberg-soulo-tent-sand-color-like-new-see-description.1394770/
  17. moron

Oddometer:
    This looks like a remarkably versatile bit of kit. Any experience with one?

18. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    A couple of times I've seen people wearing poncho type things like that a on windy ridge & it's pretty hilarious.

Cheers
    Clint
  19. Jim K.

Jim K. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Reminds me of the "Hefty Bag" rain gear some folks resort to, when they get caught out.
    (confession: been there & done that)
  20. stevedo

stevedo Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Thought I'd follow up on my somewhat lengthy post. After careful consideration, and taking into account all the great input from folks here, I've ordered a Keron 3GT with footprint :-). I've ordered it in the UK but am currently in Chile. However, we return to the UK next week for a short visit before returning to Chile to continue our journey. Really excited to collect our new tent and put it to the test in South America, just don't remind me how much it cost :-)

Cycle61 and MTBRALPH like this.