The Hippocratic Poser

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Frostback, Feb 25, 2020.

1. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ditto.
  2. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    We all have dreams and aspirations in life. There’s nothing inherently wrong with that. How would I know if someone is posing or merely living their dream?

I am a shit skier. Started at age 51. Took ten hours of excellent group instruction, spent untold money on gear and have thrown myself off, what is to me crazy steeps, but to any real skiers are easy Double Black diamonds. I get to ski 4-8 days per season. Am I a poser or living my dream? Maybe both. We each get to define our own dreams, our own limits, our own boundaries.

(Maybe a fully decked out GSA at Starbucks is that guy’s dream. Why do you feel the need to project your dreams onto a complete stranger?)

What I know is this: There was a time in my life when I wanted stuff - a certain car in my garage, a certain size house in a certain type of neighborhood, certain guns and guitars in my possessions, and a certain afterlife promised to me by my faith & religion if I lived a certain way.

And then my dad died - not when I was young, or unexpectedly, or tragic. He just grew old and died.

And suddenly NONE of those things I had wanted in life mattered. Not a single one. And that is when and how I arrived at No Fucks Given.

I’ve made the mistake of judging other people. Life is too short for that. I no longer believe in God or Jesus in the traditional sense, but I do believe in granting all others the Christian ideal of grace. It makes me a better person when I treat others with all the kindness and charity I possibly can with no strings attached and no judgement imposed.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.
  3. Millwright98

Millwright98 Share the love, leave the dirt in the garden.

Oddometer:
    @dddd ... you, sir, are a poet... :beer
  4. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    So you're posing as a real hard core rider when you stop somewhere, right? A pose isn't always fake. Ever see pictures of Ewan McGregor with a bike some place, or see him on TV talking about his adventures? (Honestly I haven't.) He's kinda posing, yet is the real thing. I wonder if he occasionally stops at some place like Starbuck's while out riding... :hmmmmm
    AdventureTrail likes this.
  5. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Faking it/Making it

Oddometer:
    You forgot Scene 5. Bitching about other people's "personal connection to the motorcycle and how that expresses" on advrider.com.

John
  6. AdventureTrail

AdventureTrail A grin without a cat

Oddometer:
    I suppose someone could make those inferences if they saw me somewhere. :dunno

To me, when I think of a "poser" I think of someone who acts or dresses out of character relative to who they actually are. I think of folks like those listed in the OP who try VERY hard to present a persona or "character" of who they want people to think they are. (also see Facebook). I think the real key to being a "poser" is the act of attempting to convey attention of a specific kind with the actions. Really, when I'm out riding I'm not all that interested in interacting with people except those I'm riding with. I'm not rude or antisocial or anything, but I didn't get dressed and go riding to discuss my bike with every single person I encounter throughout the day either. If someone says something like "nice bike" or asks a question I'll talk to them, but I don't spend hours regaling them with my stories of adventure and conquest.

As always, YMMV.
    Traxx likes this.
  7. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious

Oddometer:
    To me a poser is a guy who has a beautiful motorcycle in his garage and the whole outfit but chooses to ride his lawnmower instead every weekend. He has to power wash his patio furniture next month and start killing dandelions. Never takes a trip, never looks for any kind of adventure, never becomes really proficient at riding. Just has a bike he paid too much for and insures every year for his 300 annual miles the the gas station and back.

Then again, those guys are the source of most of my motorcycles. Always tells you he "didn't have time to ride".
  8. White mt guy

White mt guy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is there a "Posers Anonymous " group. Asking for a friend.
    squonker and GR8ADV like this.
  9. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:

Yep, I've got a brother in law like that. Owns 4 Harley's (which are very nice) and I doubt he comes close to 300 miles per year. Yet he loves to spout on about how he's the "real biker" in the family because he has Harley's, even though I currently have 12 bikes in the garage and am an active road racer. One day I can only aspire to be as cool as him:csm
    Traxx, 72 Yamaha RD350, racer and 4 others like this.
  10. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    OP is in Alberta, contemplating another two months of winter.
    CCitis, Traxx and jethrocephus like this.
  11. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    OP should buy a Ural and get out and ride then!
    CA-Cincinnatus, Traxx and Bar None like this.
  12. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    :clap
  13. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    So change your line of thought. You aren't always on some adventure now, are you? If you leave the bags on the GS or whatever when you're just cruising around isn't that a bit of being a poser, since they aren't needed? If you have all the gear stuck on the bike when running an errand, isn't that a bit poser? I used to race some short track, I don't now, but I'm still working on a street tracker and yes it is "poser" territory, but I just don't care.

I also like to talk for long times BSing with other riders if we have time. It used to be in the shop after hours in the service department, but those days are long past. I live where I know almost no one and the only other rider with similar interests to mine is my son-in-law. So when I meet someone interesting or they take interest in what I like I have no problem talking with them. Again, just don't care what some observer may think. As long as those in the group are interested who cares about others.

I guess I'm a bit of a poser then. So who do you pay to take care of your homestead? If you are so fortunate as to be able to blow off stuff that needs done, more power to you. For the rest of us it's called life and it happens, in spite of what we plan.

For the most part you are actually describing someone who found they really don't want to ride. They aren't even posers. We saw them when I sold bikes. They'd sell the bike saying they didn't have time to ride, then tell us about the boat they bought that they really used, saying "we got out six times this summer!" That person is not a rider and not a poser. They simply bought the bike thinking they would like it and don't. They just haven't sold it to you yet.

A poser finds fun in riding and may be having an adventure in their own mind, even if it is putting on the full garb to go run an errand to pick up the mower blades or a bag of dog food. If all they can get is that half hour run for that half hour they are "doing it". I have a short ride I can take that is the only fun ride in the area. About five miles. But after work, before dinner or in a quick blast after mowing the grass I am leaning into the turns and having fun accelerating out - even though I only got maybe 500 miles in, didn't get to plan and take any trips. I did dress up and hit a couple dual sport rides, looking like an off road rider, put on the MX helmet and goggles to take some back road rides with my brother and my friend. Not as much as I wanted and very poser-esque. But what little it was, it was still fun.

I, for one, have not been able over the past several years, in spite of being a teacher supposedly "with the summers off". I only got a couple hundred miles over the past several years for a variety of reasons, none of which could be dumped to go for a ride. Seems buying a house and moving took out most of one summer, a fractured ankle took out another summer, family injury another, effects of a family death and building an addition on the house another, html/css class another (for recertification), and javascript class another (for recertification). Before that I had changed teaching jobs and had to move to the flat lands where roads are flat, straight, and boring for short runs, I need to go 40 miles one way to get to an interesting area for riding, I was spoiled living for 50 years in an interesting hilly area. I'm finally supposed to have a summer without issues at the moment, having a knee operation tomorrow so it shouldn't affect my summer. But a school levy is in play and if it should fail I may be looking to retire and go get another job to supplement our income. So life happens in spite of what I want to plan.

Enjoy what you get to do. Not all of us can do the same. You won't get any bikes from me though, I figure if I do get the time I will use them, otherwise "they ain't eatin' no oats". Really we all are posers one time or another in someone else's eyes. I'm learning to be less judgmental because of the past several summers.
  14. Frostback

Frostback Frostback

Oddometer:
    The OP (me) is indeed in -12 temps and 15 -20 cm of snow in dark Alberta, BUT I manage to escape to ride the coast and New Zealand to ride in winter. There are visual aspects of riding that are undeniable, we are into conspicuity right? The posing thing is pretty harmless but fun to joke about. As others have said, ride your own ride.

Please know that the stereotypical cliche's I used were arctypes, fabrications really, that rarely exist. I created those just to make the contrast point of appearances vs. actions. Appearances whether overt shiny and posy or dirty, individual and RTW "real riders" matters little to me.

The gist of the write up (that hippocratic thing) was my opinion that any motorcycle riding behavior that harms the common good (environment, noise pollution, public dislike of motorcyclists) is a problem.

I find Italy, Spain, New Zealand and Thailand populations don't hold the inherent animosity toward motorcyclists that we see in much of North America. Why is that? There has to be room to improve the public acceptance, awareness and dare I say welcome of motorcycling. Maybe it starts with eliminating offensive behaviors.

Lee
    CCitis and Lanis like this.
  15. sluagh

sluagh not fade away

Oddometer:
    I was doing a ride down the Pacific coast and stopped for the night in Mendocino. Went for a walk through town and passed by a guy in a leather vest sitting out in the bright sunshine on an immaculate white and baby blue, chromed out Softail Deluxe. When I went back by an hour or so later he was still there. That guy looked like he was happy. Probably as happy as I'd been earlier while riding one of the most spectacular highways in North America. Who am I to judge?
  16. AdventureTrail

AdventureTrail A grin without a cat

Oddometer:
    Every day is an adventure of sorts.

I think you summed it up perfectly here:
    "Again, just don't care what some observer may think."
    CA-Cincinnatus likes this.
  17. glory racing

glory racing Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well...if you would get a real bike.
    MotoChris521 and rd400racer like this.
  18. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:

:photog Yep, heard that a couple of times. Because as you know, my KTM 950SM is such a girls bike:D (my BIL would probably have a heart attack if he rode it).
    CA-Cincinnatus, DucaIan and racer like this.
  19. glory racing

glory racing Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I live in the good twisty stuff in northern AR. We have many riders come to the area to enjoy. On one of the rides we had an experienced long time 'cruiser' rider join us for breakfast. He mentioned he was curious and would like to ride a 'sport' bike. Long story short, he rode a ZRX 1200 for about 10 miles of twisties. He was literally pale white when he got off the bike and traded back. His only statement was, "that thing will go, thanks!". Pretty sure he didn't go out and buy an R1 or 1290.
  20. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    To me, a poser isn't determined by how much one rides. 1000 miles a day, 1000 miles a year, there's absolutely no difference if it fulfills ones desires.

A poser is someone whose riding is an affectation.