The Hodakaguy Camping Trip Report Photo Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by Hodakaguy, Aug 5, 2020.

1. Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy NorthWest Adventure Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Hodakaguy Road Trip Camping Mega Thread......

We just finished a 4 day 1000 mile road trip with the van and my father joined the trip with his Tacoma/Vagabond camper. Such a cool road trip, soooo much scenery and history to explore out there.
    Warning...Picture Heavy Post.

Heading out of town we were treated to an awesome sunrise.

[​IMG]

First up was the historic mining town of Wallace ID. This is town is full of history and cool things to explore. There is also a bicycle trail on a old railroad bed that is all down hill and travels through tunnels and over trestles...we will have to come back for those!

[​IMG]

Dad checking out the signs :-)

[​IMG]

Wallace is home to the Center Of The Universe!

[​IMG]

I found it strange that the Center of the Universe is located in the middle of a 4 way intersection where people will want to stand on it to take photos lol. All locations in town are referenced from the Cnter of the Universe :-).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This pawn/antique shop in Wallace is a very cool shop, a must stop when your there!

[​IMG]

Dad checking out the Mermaid

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My wife checking out the lovely room of death lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More fun stores

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wallace is famous for it's houses of prostitution, there were MANY of them in this small town. The last operating brothel closed in 1991. The Oasis cat house closed in 1988 and was boarded up tight with everything inside...they just turned off the lights and left, eventually it was purchased and the time capsule was opened and its now a perfectly preserved museum. Really good tour.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next we left Wallace and headed about 7 miles out of town to the ghost town of Burke ID. Burke was one of the largest producers of silver, zinc and lead. Look up Burke on youtube for some really cool history.
    Burke back in the day.....

[​IMG]

Today little is left except small ruins, you would never know how massive this place really was.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Massive head frame in the background.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What's left of the Frisco Mill. During a battle between the miners and the mill owners the miners placed explosives in a mine cart above the mill and sent the cart down the tracks into the mill, completely destroying the mill.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shot from the Drone

[​IMG]

Stopped at the 50,000 silver dollar store in Montana. Just cheap tourist stuff here but kinda cool to check out.

[​IMG]

Using the Biolite grill to cook up some steaks for dinner...yummm

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My wife enjoying the trip....

[​IMG]

Dad setting up camp...takes all of about 2 minutes. The Vagabond Drifter is a slick setup!

[​IMG]

Next we stopped in Missoula MT....Ehh...just a big city and we weren't to impressed so didn't spend much time here.

[​IMG]

Back on the road and heading south towards the Salmon river. Several cool towns to stop and explore along the way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stickers on entering state signs must be a thing now :-)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lots of beautiful scenery along the way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Found a great free camp site right on the Salmon river...soooo nice! While we were camped here a park ranger stopped by to chat and we told him that we were heading to the Yankee Fork gold dredge and the ghost town of Custer ID. He told us that there is a historic dirt road called the Custer Motorway that would take us right to Custer and avoid paved roads, heads up over the mountains at 9k feet.... just turn at Challis and follow the dirt road. Awesome! Custer Motorway it will be!

[​IMG]

Kiddo got a lot of play time in the river

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Camp from above

[​IMG]

Doesn't get much better than this!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If anyone has ever watched Lucy and the long long trailer you will get this...my wife started collecting rocks to bring home lol.

[​IMG]

Heading out again....more amazing scenery!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heading up into the mountains on the Custer Motorway.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Time to get the drone out again for another perspective.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Continuing down the trail.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kiddo cruising on the bed

[​IMG]

More history. This was once a toll road and whats left of the toll cabins are still here at 9k feet. Very cool!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wild strawberries...yummmm

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Didn't take long to find the old dump site.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A little photography along the way

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Continued below.....

Hodakaguy
  2. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:
    Continued from above....

Next we visited the ghost town of Custer. Another great piece of history. But first up...breakfast :-)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In a small remote ghost town in the mountains of ID we ran into Chad with Adventure Wagon! Chad is an awesome guy and makes some really cool Sprinter gear. We are running his Mule bags and basically patterned a lot of our interior off his kits. Great to chat with you Chad!

[​IMG]

Showing Chad our build.

[​IMG]

Chad even placed a Hodakaguy sticker on his van :-)

[​IMG]

Custer from the Air

[​IMG]

And checking out the old buildings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next we explored the abandoned Yankee Fork gold dredge. Unlike the Sumpter dredge that we explored last trip the Yankee dredge is completely intact with all the original equipment...plus they let you climb and explore on all levels!! Such a cool piece of mining history.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heading into the dredge, people provide a good reference and show the scale of the bucket line.

[​IMG]

I spy a Sprinter :-)

[​IMG]

Massive electric powered winches. These were used to position the dredge and raise/lower the bucket line.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Resistor banks used as speed controls for the motors

[​IMG]

Thats it...just a little further :-)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Upper axle on the bucket line

[​IMG]

Grizzly bars to reject large rocks before they get to the trommel.

[​IMG]

Bull gear that drives the bucket line. This is the weakest spot on the dredge, the large bull gear was replaced 3 times while this dredge was in operation.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Trommel from above

[​IMG]

Checking out the sluice runs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gold recovery area, the pot on the lower right was used to burn off the mercury and recover the gold.

[​IMG]

The dredge made its own power via two 1940 Ingersol Rand Diesel engines running two generators.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got the drone back out for a few shots of the dredge

[​IMG]

Great shot of the tailings left behind from the dredge

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wife got in a little panning while we were there...didn't get anything but more cool rocks to pack in the van :-)

[​IMG]

Sawtooth Mountains as we head south and home

[​IMG]

Hot springs along the hwy....gonna have to come back here!

[​IMG]

Restaurant along the road lol.

[​IMG]

Stopped for ice cream and had to leave a sticker :-)

[​IMG]

Next morning all that was left was to make coffee and roll into home.

[​IMG]

Hodakaguy
  3. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:
    Another recent family trip through central OR.

Just got back from a quick 600 Mile road trip, first trip of the year with the van. Not quite finished with the interior yet but It's time to start camping and worry about finishing the van at a later date :-)

Here's a few photo's from our adventures through Central OR.

Worlds largest map of the Oregon Trail, wrapped around the other side of the building as well.

[​IMG]

The town of Baker OR has a really cool museum, here we stopped and are waiting for the doors to open.

[​IMG]

One of my favorite things in the museum was this cool old rifle, man If only this rifle could talk!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Checking out some cool old equipment in Sumpter OR. This walking drag line was awesome.

[​IMG]

I would so love to restore this tracked Fordson, look at that awesome winch!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up we checked out the old Sumpter Dredge. This dredge removed 128,570 oz of gold while chewing up the Sumpter valley, the tailings can be seen throughout the valley. I brought along the drone on this trip and got a couple cool overhead shots.

[​IMG]

You can really see the size of the dredge with the wife and kiddo on the deck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The tailing conveyor on the stern of the dredge and the ends of the sluice boxes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Buckets baby!

[​IMG]

One of the winch systems on board, this winch was used for positioning the dredge in the pond

[​IMG]

Here's the winch that controlled the bucket line, you can also see two of the three pumps onboard that had a total of 3000 gpm capacity.

[​IMG]

Next we rolled through the abandoned town of Whitney, I love checking out old abandoned buildings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lots of cool canyons along the route.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Camp for the night and enjoying the breeze and view out the rear door.

[​IMG]

Next morning we drove up to Fossil OR to dig for fossils. There is a public dig area located right behind the high school.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lot's of really cool leaf and fern fossils, this area looked a lot different back then.

[​IMG]

After that we shut down early for the day so we could just relax and the kiddo could spend the day swimming.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The roof rack makes a great place to kick back in the camp chair and relax

[​IMG]

Making coffee for the ride home.....another trip in the books.

[​IMG]

Hodakaguy
  4. AtomicGeo

AtomicGeo a lo macho

Oddometer:
    Nice report! Like the Tacoma setup. I also use a myjo for portable coffee system.
  5. windypoint

windypoint Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great trip and photo report. Glad you are enjoying the new rig. You might find the book the "Big Burn" of interest as it is based around the town of Wallace and the huge fire of 1910 that destroyed it.
    Hodakaguy and katbeanz like this.
  6. sloMark

sloMark Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome!
    Hodakaguy likes this.
  7. DirtFarmer

DirtFarmer Has anyone seen my mother

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the drone shots.
    Hodakaguy likes this.
  8. katbeanz

katbeanz earthbound misfit, I Supporter

Oddometer:
    I read an article earlier about it, Ed Pulaski saved 40 men that day by taking shelter in an old mine shaft, in later years developed the wildfire tool that bears his name. :thumb

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/20...during-the-largest-forest-fire-in-U-S-history
  9. Monroe

Monroe not a long timer

Oddometer:
    Great to see your Dad out on the road with you and the fam!
    Hodakaguy and flatwoods like this.
  10. flatwoods

flatwoods Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^ I'll second that,it's great your dad was a able to go with you.
    Hodakaguy likes this.
  11. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:
    Been a long time since I updated the thread and we have traveled a LOT of miles in that time.....

Here's another trip that we went on....Picture Heavy!

First up an overview of our tracks from the trip....yep, a LOT of miles :-)

[​IMG]

We loaded up and rolled out of WA early in the AM. My father was once again following us on this trip with his Tacoma/FWC setup and my Uncle/Aunt was tagging along in their sprinter as well. Here we are heading south through central OR. South of Bend OR we stopped along side the road to check out the Bra tree.....Hmmmm, I like it :-)

[​IMG]

Hodaka Wife hanging a bra up in the tree.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My wife liking the big cowboy in Lakeview OR.

[​IMG]

Entering CA......wait how'd that get there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A quick stop in Reno. Lot's of shady characters hanging around the vans, non of us were feeling Reno so didn't hang around long.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up we stopped in Virginia City NV, Now this town is Cool! There is Soooooo much rich history here in this town! My uncle and aunt split off from us at this point as my aunt wasn't doing well with the higher altitudes. My father followed us up the mountains into Virginia City and we spent the rest of the day soaking in the sights.

The Savage Mansion. President Grant spoke to the towns people from the second story of this building. Grant had made the trip to Virginia City to thank all the workers for all the Silver that was donated to the Civil War effort.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Across the street from the Savage Mansion is the Mackay Mansion. If you go through Virginia City this is a MUST stop, the tour here was one of the highlights of the trip. So many historical people have been involved with this mansion. Thomas Edison personally wired this mansion, Grand Bell personally installed the telephone system, Mark Twain hung out here. The tour of the Mansion is incredible, it's like stepping back in time. Many of the rooms still have the original wall paper and ceilings, some rooms even have original carpet. A lot of the furniture in the mansion is the original furniture, simply incredible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Inside the front room. The tour starts here with an overview on how Mackay came to own the mansion, a very interesting story in itself! The tall display case is original to the mansion.

[​IMG]

This is the original vault. Mackay hired a guard to stay inside the safe with the money 24hrs/day, the guide said that one night a robber broke into the safe and was shot dead by the guard there in the living room.

[​IMG]

This room was really cool. You can see the original carpet on the far right and many pieces of original furniture. The mirror on the right is also original and is a Diamond Dust Mirror. When you shine a light directly on it you can see the reflection of the dust, this is also why the mirror isn't tarnished as most of the mirrors from this period.

[​IMG]

Hodaka Pops back was getting sore so they let him sit on the vintage off limits furniture.....way cool!

[​IMG]

Here's a photo that's in the living room, anything look strange about it? The reason that the photo looks off is that the person in the photo is dead. Back then it was common to have a photo taken of the deceased and that was often the only photo that a family would have to remember them by. If you look closely in this picture you can see that her lips have been sewn closed for the picture and her eyes forced open.

[​IMG]

The bathroom. The Mackay mansion had the first inside flushing toilet in Virginia City, a gold inlaid Crapper.

[​IMG]

The Dining room, think of all the historic people that have had dinner around this table....if walls could talk.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are many many more amazing photo's that we took in the mansion but it would take up to much room here, if your in Virginia City check this one out!

Outside the mansion stands a Gazebo, under this Gazebo is the original adit to the mine right out side of the mansion.

[​IMG]

And another shot of the Mansion itself.

[​IMG]

An arial view of the mansion.

[​IMG]

And an arial view of main street Virginia City.

[​IMG]

There was so much to see in Virginia City that we stayed the night and decided to spend another day. We arrived on main street the next morning early to get a parking spot before the crowds showed up, luckily it was Monday now and the crowds were a lot smaller!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As we were waiting for everything to open up we were strolling down the board walk and ran into a gentleman named Nick. We chatted with Nick for quite a while and it turns out that he owns several of the buildings in town, one of them being the Washoe Club where all the elites of their day hung out. The building we were in front of was a bank originally and Nick said the wide doors in the front were there to allow horse drawn carriages to pull into the bank to be loaded up. He also said that below the building the original horse stables and what was left of the original vault still existed, he asked if we wanted a private tour and it took all of 1 millisecond to jump on that deal!

Talking to Nick outside of his building.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nick giving us a VIP tour below the building.

[​IMG]

Inside was a TON of cool artifacts and antiques. Here's an original wooden cattle guard from a steam train.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Checking out the original horse stalls from the back back in the 1800's.

[​IMG]

Thanks for the tour Nick!

[​IMG]

Back on the main street we checked out many of the other historic sights.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kiddo found candy cigarettes in the candy store on main street.

[​IMG]

Checking out another historic vault.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Silver Queen. Her dress is made from silver dollars and her belt is made from gold coins.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next we toured the Old Washoe Club. Mark Twain, Mackay and all the prominent elites in the town hung out at this club back in the day.

[​IMG]

The bar on the lower level of the Washoe club, complete with bullet holes in the tin ceiling.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We wanted to see inside the building so we took their "Ghost" tour. I could care less about ghosts and we were only interested in looking at the history and the building itself, I think the guide was pretty let down that we weren't into the ghost stories lol.

[​IMG]

Look how much the building has shifted, the floors and windows are WAY off level.

[​IMG]

Man that's a sweet van down there :-)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My son reacting to the Ghost that is suppose to live in this room lol.

[​IMG]

Downstairs is the "Crypt". This is the room where liqueur was normally stored, during the winter when the ground was frozen it was also used as an overflow morgue until spring when the bodies could once again be buried.

[​IMG]

The famous spiral stair case

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Checking out the amazing church.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lot's of tailing piles and mine activity everywhere!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After a long day touring Virginia City and still not seeing everything we wanted to see we set up camp at the local campground and prepared to move on to other sites the next morning. We will be back to Virginia City to tour the rest some day.....Amazing place!

Tons more pics of this trip still to come soon.

Hodakaguy
  12. bete

bete misguided adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great trip reports! How old is your dad? It's awesome he still has the exploring,camping bug in him. Hopefully I will be the same.
    MaddBrit likes this.
  13. Gezerbike

Gezerbike I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaa......ck

Oddometer:
    This pic brings back good memories of our trip out west last fall. Damn if it isn't main street ( Hwy 93 ) downtown Darby, Mt. I had to stop and call my wife and we parked the bikes across the street from where your van is parked. Reason I had to call home is that Darby is where Kevin Costner films the series Yellowstone and they were actually filming that day ( 1st week in September ). We were camped over in Alder Mt and did a 400 mile loop that day. Really cool going thru the old mining areas. They have a huge dredge in Alder that was to big to move and too much work to take apart.......so they buried it ! As you pointed out, so much cool history out there. Do you know what 337 stands for in Montana history ? State Troopers still wear it on their uniforms. Great pics and ride reports.

[​IMG]
    Sno Dawg and shunpiker like this.
  14. Comrade Arturo

Comrade Arturo Veterinario

Oddometer:
    That Mercedes sprinter van is sweet :thumb
    Hodakaguy likes this.
  15. vtwin

vtwin Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the great photos and history. I hope you had a chance to see the wild horses running around VC. If you can, check out Bodie off 395. You can see Mono Lake as well along with Mammoth Mountain and June Lake where escaped convicts hid out and were never found. Carson City also has part of the Lincoln Highway that is rich in history as well.
    Hodakaguy and katbeanz like this.
  16. salty_dog

salty_dog Day trips around TLH, WMAs and South Ga dirt roads

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great trip. Van looks great. Thanks for sharing.
    Hodakaguy likes this.
  17. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
    Actually 3-7-77.

"... 3-7-77 is emblematic of the first organized law enforcement in Montana."
    Hodakaguy likes this.
  18. Gezerbike

Gezerbike I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaa......ck

Oddometer:
    vigilantes
    Hodakaguy likes this.
  19. DADODIRT

DADODIRT Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cool stuff. Thanks for sharing.
    Hodakaguy likes this.
  20. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:
    After leaving Virginia City we continued heading south.

We stopped in Hawthorne NV to check out the ordnance museum but they were closed, they did have some cool outdoor exhibits that we checked out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As we continued south we had to stop and take a couple snaps at the Playmate Ranch. No I didn't use their free WIFI :lol3.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More abandoned structures to check out.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next we rolled into Tonopah NV. Stopped to take a quick picture of the Clown Motel....I'll pass lol.

[​IMG]

Next to the hotel is a early 1900's cemetery. Was great walking around and reading the tomb stones.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next we headed to the Mining Museum in town, this is a must stop if your passing through.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stopped to snap some pics of the Joshua Trees.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And checking out a few cool things in Goldfield NV.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lots more to come......

Hodakaguy
    stuckinmud, Sno Dawg, Smidty and 2 others like this.