The home coffee thread

Discussion in 'Australia' started by sidetrack one, Apr 3, 2020.

1. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler Supporter

Oddometer:
    Barrister...$10000 a day
    Barista...$200 a day
    Just sayin':D
  2. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    she looked expenses :D
    wombbatt and Boxa like this.
  3. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pretty sure a Barista bills more than a Barrister in Australia.

Even running just a 4 head commercial machine that's $5 x4 every 20 secs = $60 a minute , or $3600 an hour. TEN times what a Barrister bills!
    BygDaddee likes this.
  4. numbat

numbat Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll go with a Barrister's pay check.
    I know someone who went all or nothing with a $10,000 a day Barrister, for seven days and won.
    I have a mate, a Barrister, who was fairly chirpy with his $5,500 for a day and a half last week. He's not as flash as his brothers, just small time in the country.
    sidetrack one and Boxa like this.
  5. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Average barrister hourly wage $21.60
    https://www.payscale.com/research/AU/Job=Barrister/Salary

Barista is $19.90
    https://www.payscale.com/research/AU/Job=Barista/Hourly_Rate

The barista doesn't have a hecs debt to repay.

There is a big difference between fees charged and wages received by most professionals - I'd be very surprised if your mate EARNS $5500 when he bills that
  6. numbat

numbat Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't ask about his income. He just mentioned he was pleased with his win.
    I do know he's fairly casual compared to his brothers, one is specialized and the other a Senior Council.
  7. farqhuar

farqhuar Human guinea pig

Oddometer:
    I suspect there are a few errors in that site. Apparently $97k+ p.a. translates to an hourly wage of $21.60? - I think not.

Certainly, even my relatively recently, law-degreed, government employed, son, is enjoying a lot better than that.

However, coming back to coffee, I have a naff Neff which I use for my daily brew. 'not something I would purchase, but it was inbuilt to our new home, and is a pleasure to use and consume, from.
    numbat likes this.
  8. tradern

tradern One wheel

Oddometer:
    Bought the flair this week. It's exceptional.

Deceptively simple, yet powerful brew system. Hardware could be confused from parts out of gas plant.

Worth the coin.

9. motoxfox

motoxfox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh Really....good luck Dr. ! Im just saying
    great in theory...even better tap dancing the calculator.
    However in reality.
    So maybe 2021 and your entry for the finke is...
    Pro Bikes then zip it back to the start for the
    Pro Buggies ...ditto
    Hey lets back up for the Quads ... ! :clap
  10. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    Awesome. Lettuce know how you go with it.
  11. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
  12. Reklaw59

Reklaw59 Faster than your Nan.

Oddometer:
  13. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    I went and tried the recently introduced Lavazza Rossa ground coffee, so you don't have to.

In a word : AVOID.

'Nuff said.

PS I have a free, sealed packet if you have guests you need to discourage.....
    Happy Snapper, Boxa and Suncoaster like this.
  14. vagueout

vagueout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah of course they do.:hmmmmm
  15. tradern

tradern One wheel

Oddometer:
    update on the Flair:

The Flair is a highly capable lever machine of absolute mechanical simplicity. Straight forward process but still room for always improving the skills required. A journey, yet you will be rewarded. Do some research on youtube and dedicated coffee forums for finer hints and tips.

I wanted something mobile for the road and also home. Really been enjoying the learning curve brewing with Flair, of which can be mildly frustrating at first. I still muck a shot up every few days. If its not too bad, will fix it with some frothy milk and sugar :p Most shots are beautiful works of art. Fresh beans make my day. Under 3 weeks old. endlesscup.com.au :) :) :)

Areopress has been my go to for a while. Yet. I've become tired of the general weaker flavor and bigger doses of coffee required. So much easier and fool proof than the flair though. Say 22g for areopress and down to 15g on flair.

Was looking for real espresso device for my lovely. She/I love the shots that come out. She's European and hard to please! Add some water and you've got a delicious long black. Buy a cheap milk frothing machine from aldi or so and you can knock out some beautiful milk based brews if that's your thing. We drink about 85% long blacks. More often than not, the sugar can be bypassed with a well poured shot. Most coffees at this stage in my learning <probably almost 80-100 shots poured, are very drinkable - takes a keen eye on the grind, dose your coffee with some scales - no need to buy the $$$ coffee specific jazz. I've got my old scales from higher times, when I needed to measure flowers?
    100 gram resolution is very suitable, measure beans, grind direct into portafilter. truweigh.com sells some nice affordable stuff - I don't see mine for sale anymore - but the newer scales are water proof by the looks. https://www.fishpond.com.au/Kitchen/MINI-CLASSIC-Digital-Mini-Scale-100g-x-001g-Black/0854384007021

GF and I are quickly becoming coffee snobs. The quality at cafes nearby, more often than not, leaves us longing to get home for a Flair brew. About 10 mins for two brews - this ain't no party machine.

If you can handle a much greater range of variables than most methods and constantly seek to refine the process, you will be extremely satisfied with what you can produce. Make no doubt - this thing requires a bit of trial and error. In the beginning.
    Maybe one shot down the drain some days, very preventable. Yet a quick adjustment somewhere in the process will get you rocking. A little bit of research in the coffee forums (not adv basement, external bb's) to diagnose and knowledge in espresso, in general, will have you just itching to try your hand at another brew. I had five testing shots one morning. Struth. Bing-bong!

You grind your new beans, dialling the grind setting in, then a appropriate tamp, it will then play nicely. I love having friends/family around and watch the look on their face when they sip a well balanced and delicious brew from such a simple lever/plunger device (see the snob here?) Persistence is required when you change beans and also when you start out. Totally worth it. Have faith in the lever! Persist and the arabica fruits are yours.

Totally eclipses the pods and home automatic machines.

You will need a capable and fairly serious grinder. I got a baratza sette 30. It was on sale and does the job well, got the guts of the more expensive machines, without the bling. To be honest, even more control with a grinder with macro and fine adjustment would be even better. Or you could get one of the numerous quality hand grinders that are capable of espresso grinding - this gets old real fast though at home. Good grinder for espresso is must have item - the $25 foolsworth jobby will not be able to produce the goods, whatsoever.

You don't need the signature pro - but the pressure gauge and hardcore stainless construction (think turbine parts) of the brewing plunger make me think this is a heirloom device. Two o-rings for the wearing/sealing that are available at an engineering supply. That's basically it for wear and tear items. I see a many a coffee before wearing the o-rings out.

The coffee is beyond great - but fiddly it is also. Worth every cent in my mind, being a stickler for the experience and ritual. Especially when I think you would need a group 1 machine *3-4k+* to match it. Nothing really to go wrong with it compared to other manual brews. Espresso forge is nice though, another choice here, plus it's USA quality. You could fend off zombies or home invasion with that bad boy.

I've got a sling on from an arthroscopy at the moment - and it's manageable with concentration with my other rebuilt shoulder. Even my 43kg lady can get 5 bar out of it.

If you use good repeatable technique/process you can't go wrong.

Apologies for writing a novel. I finished my latte at 5 in the morning. Still buzzing. Double shots can blow ones head off.

Peace, bliss and fresh beans my friends,

Neil

IMG_20200623_115406.jpg

edit: no picture, bad man...
  16. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seriously shit day here on the NSW South Coast plus my good ankle has fucked up so I can't walk atm,so lots of coffee drunk today,still.loving the Aldi medium dark!
    20200628_131346.jpg
  17. Toe - Cutter

Toe - Cutter 666

Oddometer:

That grouse loaf and a block of cheese would keep me going ,,,for at least half a day in the H.C. Boondocks !
    AUSSIEADV likes this.
  18. darren70

darren70 Loud pipes matter

Oddometer:
    A servo sausage roll and an ice coffee milk
    Don’t forget where you came from

IMG_2229.jpg
  19. bigborett

bigborett Hipster Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would normally go two sausage rolls to build the indigestion, then the milk to try and beat it back.
  20. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    The afterbirth bin? :scratch

I'd eat my own undies before consuming roadhouse "food". But I'd put sauce on them first .:dukegirl