The Honda Aero 125 Thread

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by RedArrow, Nov 14, 2013.

1. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, Sunnyvale. He specializes in japanese parts so if you are ever in need of something Japanese or not available here but is in Japan then he can get it for you. It usually takes several months for a special order item cause it comes over via boat unless you want to pay for air delivery. Yum dog!
  2. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:

Great post. It sounds like you get it. There is something very satisfying about working on an old vehicle, and improvising is often a part of the deal, due to a lack of parts. But sometimes an improvised solution can actually be better than the way it was originally done. I have owned 2 VW bugs, and have built a few VW engines. I would love to have another but just don't have room for it at the moment. I consider John Muir's VW "idiot book" to be not only one of the best mechanical manuals I've ever read, but also one of the greatest collections of wisdom and common sense. And it is always great to see someone keeping an old vehicle on the road because they want to and enjoy it, rather than just getting something newer. If you are interested, you sound like a good candidate for a vintage Vespa. All the parts are readily available for them. I have always thought of them as the VW bug of scooters. Best of luck with your Aero. Ride safe and have lots of fun.
  3. RedArrow

RedArrow With scootrboi

Oddometer:
    Molto buon suggerimento!!!! :lol3 I really like the looks of those old Vespas even though I haven't checked out the used market in my area to see if any are available. Right now I've got my hands full with my Honda, but in the future??? Maybe something like this will show up in my garage — the best of both worlds:

[​IMG]

Here's a short movie of my first ride yesterday since solving my idling problem and changing out my back tire. It might look like I'm going slow but it's just a trick of the camera.:rofl A snail actually beat me to the corner, along with an old lady in a walker. Have a good larf on me!

[​IMG]

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid885.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fac56%2Fmothman52%2FHonda%2520Aero%2FAction%2520Shots%2FP1030124.mp4">
  4. RedArrow

RedArrow With scootrboi

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I haven't figured out posting videos & I can't get this server to allow me to edit it either.:hmmmmm

Anyway, I'm going to the beloved DMV to take my written test for my M1 and also get my California plates on my bike. Wish me luck!
  5. tortoise2

tortoise2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Link
  6. YamaGeek

YamaGeek Skeletor sparklemuffin.

Oddometer:
    There is a certain satisfaction of bringing back from what the PO thought was a 'dead' condition, motorbike. One of the ones I really appreciated was back in the early 80's, it was a little 1964 Honda C100-T that I found while I had very little disposable income. Just married and still getting our careers going, I picked this bike from a neighbor's back yard where it had languished in a tool shed for many, many years. I paid the owner $30 to save him the trouble of taking it to the dump. It was fairly complete, but was missing the headlight shell plastic, left side plastic cover and the kickstarter shaft had snapped off. It required some chrome polish and a bit of electronic tinkering, it had good compression, the carb was spotless as well as the fuel tank, but it refused to fire the spark plug, which I finally traced to a nicked 'ign hot' wire grounding onto the key switch's wire loom clamp.

What a relief it was to get that little bike going, yeah it was a nearly antique Honda Trail 50. Back then they were not that rare or appreciated. They were for their time, the perkiest little four stroke, CC for horsepower. It would do an honest 40 mph and then some.

Funny that some of the 50 cc Honda scooters of the 80's would be hard pressed to keep up with it once it was in 3rd gear. It was our second car for nearly 6 years. I've owned a few Cub's and Trail 90's, they were all quite satisfying little bikes to own and maintain, much like the early aircooled V-dubs and old Volvo's.

OH yeah, LUCK! and welcome to the two wheeler moto community.

Watch out, every-one driving a car is really actively trying to kill you, if they know it, or not.
  7. RedArrow

RedArrow With scootrboi

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that tip. I see it works from YouTube but I'm linking things from Photobucket where the code is a bit different. I'll keep working at it. Not that seeing me go 10mph is that fantastic.:D
  8. RedArrow

RedArrow With scootrboi

Oddometer:
    Hey, YamaGeek. Do you have any pictures of this pasteurized scooter? I'd love to see one. Those barn finds are always fun to hear about.

Wouldn't it be great to create an East Coast/West Coast/North South scooter boneyard where people could come once a year to buy and sell old scooters and parts?

Thanks for the support and encouragement. Working on these old bikes isn't for everybody, but for those of us who get it, it sure is fun!

Today, my bike and I are legal. It feels really great. The DMV in Capitola was just about to close and I'd been there for over three hours trying to get my California license plates and take the two required written tests to get the M1 endorsement on my driver's license. Nerve wracking times. I finally got the Washington State title from the PO's PO, which was the last step in completing the transfer of title paperwork. It was great to finally put that to bed. California seems like a really difficult state when it comes to titling out of state vehicles. Probably due to the CARB standards, most likely. If my 84 Honda wasn't in such a great state and totally worth the effort, it would have been so easy to walk away from the entire thing. But there she was, just asking me to rescue her. I'm so glad I did.

As for my license, that was another hurdle I had to cross yesterday in order to be street legal (out of both tests, I only missed one question! Being over-prepared really helps). So after surviving paperwork hell, I've got a year to practice riding in circles and weaving through empty V-8 bottles to prove my road-worthiness to the powers that be. BTW, the new California motorcycle license plate is tres European-looking: white background with navy blue numerals & letters. No sunset; no crappy script on top. A very clean design.

I'll be riding and writing in the days ahead. It feels great to be legal. And I'll do my best to avoid the cagers.:lol3
  9. gitsum79

gitsum79 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well done!
  10. RedArrow

RedArrow With scootrboi

Oddometer:
    Hey everyone. I'm riding now. Today I put my new license plates on and I have my permit. I'm trying to get up to 35 mph.:D Feels great. I love my scooter and I'll post some pictures soon out by the Great Pacific.

I just want to say to all you scoots out there, let's post some pics of you out on your best ride.

Strangely, it's been cold out here the last couple of days, at least by California standards, and wouldn't you know it, my bf's Klim Baja pants showed up today in the mail. Better fit for another season. But this colder weather makes me appreciate my riding gloves and jacket, which before felt bulky and unnecessary. If anyone's done any winter scooter trips, I'd love to hear about that, too. And sister Judy: show me your Vespa!:clap
  11. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Go to the DMV youtube website and watch their video on the M1 test.
  12. RedArrow

RedArrow With scootrboi

Oddometer:
    OK. Ride On, my brutha...:super
  13. YamaGeek

YamaGeek Skeletor sparklemuffin.

Oddometer:
    Well no I usually was having too much fun riding the darn thing to remember taking pictures. I used to provide a service of such for a serious bicycling friend when I was his Sunday morning pacing-bike for his time trial practice. I'm wondering if he has some photos from those mornings..:lol3 "Brrrr...":vardy

We used to do this at Five-early starting in February, I used to use newspaper layered under my jacket to cut the chill. I was younger and dumber then. The local Eugene used moto parts outfit had dozens of C100-C102-C105 Cubs, they had rows of their little cast-iron heads peeking out of stacks of cardboard boxes in their back shelves, But they went out of business in 1990.

Hard to find used bits for C100's nowadays, parts are available but seriously intact bikes not so much, I get comments on it nearly every time I'm in town. Sometime I will rebuild the old 50 cc engine, but it's got some serious internal wear.
  14. RedArrow

RedArrow With scootrboi

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I really like those little bikes a lot. Too bad your local dealer went out of business. I know how that is. Here in Santa Cruz — a collage town — there isn't one scooter shop to be had. Bikes galore, but no scooter shops or even boneyards to go and find parts from. It's like an island.

While noodling around CL I ran across this ad for what seems to be a pretty decent Aero 125 in Sacramento. The poster is asking $850, and it's tempting to run up there and pick her up myself. After all, these things are rare, fun to ride, and deserve to be saved.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/4236914694.html

I went riding today in the sunny coldness that is our current condition and a few blocks for home my battery decided to give up the ghost, so I was forced to coast back home, Luckily, it was all downhill LOL and I have a triple charger, so hopefully, tomorrow, I can start out again and actually get somewhere.

Beauty shots to follow.:clap
  15. RedArrow

RedArrow With scootrboi

Oddometer:
    Beauty shots on hold. :cry

I was taking off with my camera to take some pics of my winter ride when she dies just a few blocks from the garage. So I pushed her home and discovered that the battery was dead. So I hooked up the triple charger and waited for the green light to flash to steady. That done, I started her up and wouldn't you know it, she started with the same bad idling malarkey that I thought I had dealt with weeks ago. So now I'm more or less back to square uno.

So I yanked the carb. Third time. My bf thinks that his application of too much oil on the foam filter may have resulted in mucking up the slow jet, although it didn't look dirty when I examined it. So I'm going to put everything back together, as well as something I probably should have done before — yanking the gas tank off, emptying it completely, cleaning the screen and filling it with fresh gas and 2 stroke oil.

I'm still wondering if my problem might be recurring due to the PO removing the separate oil tank, forcing me to mix the gas and oil in one container and then pouring it into the gas tank dirt bike style. This isn't really the way the Honda Aero 125 carb was designed, as the oil was introduced via a pump downstream from the carb directly into the intake manifold. Could the oil gas mixture in the carb be causing problems? Do I need bigger jets? Any ideas on these mysterious subjects greatly appreciated.

At least our current Frozen Tundra conditions have lifted so working out in the garage is fun again. And as soon as I get her up and running, I'll get those beauty shots for sure.

Stay tuned...
  16. JerryH

Oddometer:
    I have removed the oil injection from a number of bikes and ran premix with no problems. I don't trust old oil injection systems with rotted hoses etc. If the hoses are bad you don't know what else might be. I run 40:1 in everything. Scooters dirtbikes, mopeds, chainsaws, weed eaters, etc.

I don't see any way oil from the filter could plug up a jet, oil is soluble in gas. You did mention something about using some kind of special air filter oil, but it should also be soluble in gas.

A 2 stroke engine will not need bigger jets from switching from oil injection to premix. There is not enough oil in the gas to make a difference. However, 2 strokes are very finicky about the air/fuel mixture. If it is a little bit too lean as could be caused by a partially plugged jet, they can run hot and seize. I destroyed the top end on an old dirt bike that way. It had been stored for some time, and I did not clean the carb like I should have. It idled fine, but misfired at higher speed. I was hoping fresh gas would clean out the jet. I ran it wide open for about 1/4 mile, and it seized up solid.
  17. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If the oil injection has been removed then yes you will be running a bit lean. Just from the simple fact that you are now displacing some of the fuel with said oil. Chances are you are getting more oil than was originally required as well.

If you can, get the oil injection working again the way the engineers intended. All of that r&d time and money was not invested so some sap who knows better and is worried can remove it and have inferior function from original intention.
  18. JerryH

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately it is probably not possible to repair/replace the oil injection system, as almost no parts are still available for it. If you did mix too much oil in the premix, check the spark plug. It may have become fouled by excess oil.

The stock main jet is a #105, pilot is #40. These are the oem sizes. They are still available new, but I cannot find any other sizes for that carb.

While it is true that oil mixed with the gas displaces some of the gas, it is a tiny amount. Plus, the oil burns too. I have seen 2 strokes run with so much oil that they smoked like crazy and fouled the plug right away, but aside from fouling plugs, and eventually building up carbon in the combustion chamber, exhaust port and muffler, it did not do any other damage. It is actually recommended to run a higher ratio of oil to gas in a new 2 stroke engine for the first tank.

Honda may have designed it a certain way, but they designed it a long time ago, and no longer provide parts for it, so you will have to make do with what you have. I don't know how you measured the premix, I use a measuring bottle, like this one http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/...MAXIMA/Pre-Mix-Measuring-Bottle/p/37880_00000

I also have no idea what the specs of the oil injection system were. One of the nice things about oil injection systems is that the good ones (Yamaha's Autolube system is the best one I know of) provide more or less oil depending on running conditions. Premix give the same amount under all conditions.

But it can be done. I ran a 1979 Kawasaki KE175 dual sport bike for years on premix. The oil injection was mostly missing when I got it.
  19. gitsum79

gitsum79 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would recommend 50:1 premix for a 49cc two-stroke scooter if ditching the oil pump.

If running a 72cc bbk or larger you may want to go closer to 40:1.

You shouldn't have to rejet the carb on a 49cc scooter. The oil pump is not a super high tech technology. It simply has the ability to use the throttle setting to alter the oil to gas ratio.
    This works great for idle or low throttle applications for when the engine doesn't need as much oil. 80:1 or even 100:1 works better and keeps excess oil from gumming up the exhaust pipe and fouling the spark plug at lower engine speeds. At WOT that 49cc oil pump is probably set to (you guessed it) 50:1.

The thing is most of the time you ride a 49cc two smoke using 75 -100% throttle and the CVT keeps the rpms in a narrow range. 50:1 premix for all practical purposes will work just as well as the oil injection system:wink:
  20. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Remember this is a 125cc bike.