The Honda Aero 125 Thread

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by RedArrow, Nov 14, 2013.

1. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    Scootrboi glad to see the Puch is still running. Mopeds have always been finicky. I have had the check engine light on my 2013 Chevy Sonic come on more than 10 times in the 54,000 miles since I bought it. It's a total piece of junk. I only bought it because my sister, who is in a wheelchair because of cancer needed to get rid of it. Quality on late model cars is lower than the bottom of the Grand Canyon. Half the engine is made of plastic.
  2. scootrboi

scootrboi Long timer

Oddometer:
    The agm battery on my scooter has worn out. While I am waiting for a new one I will give the Puch some exercise. The battery, from JCWhitney, is 6 or 7 years old. What a peculiar old machine Puch is- sturdy, too! It runs like new. It is parked out in the new scooter garage, Red got an antitheft cable for it.
    BandBGuy likes this.
  3. scootrboi

scootrboi Long timer

Oddometer:
    There was a ferocious accident in NH on US Route 2 near Randolph. A pickup truck, I think a Dodge 2500, collided with a formation of ex Marines on Harleys 1/10 of a mile from where the mc club was lodging. Seven dead, 3 hurt. The reports are sketchy. I used to ride that road a lot in my younger days when I lived in VT and went to college in ME. It is often a narrow road, and the speed limit is 55 most of the time where it would be 50 in VT. So traffic goes about 60 or so. A lot of hills and turns, crossings, driveways, towns. Not a good place for road commander formations of Harleys, and riding near the line. Very little information out. I wonder if they were wearing helmets, NH does not require them unless the laws have changed recently.

https://www.wmur.com/article/seriou...iXvCD7GokvJi_JW_UHreZxjlDonPPcUE8q07aTGf4-9W4
  4. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    Seem like a 23 year working for a delivery company towing a 32 flat bed trailer hit them or vs a verse . They were about 300 feet from where they were staying. Sad that it happen . Call me asshole but in my head when I heard Harley I wonder if they were wearing the standard HD gear . Chaps maybe , no helmet or just dumbass fiberglass caps and leather vest. I too wonder if lack of gear played a big roll in what happened. It also could be the 23 year old was driving to fast with a trailer . Towing a trailer meant there was more then likely no way in hell to avoid getting hit .
  5. scootrboi

scootrboi Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is the picture of the pickup off the road on the left side, in flames. Looks as if it completely crossed the road. The trailer is a long empty flatbed.
    Imagine that across the road in front of you. They were 500 ft. from their B&B, they could not have been going fast, but I wonder how close together they were riding.
  6. scootrboi

scootrboi Long timer

Oddometer:
    JerryH- Puch is running like a champ. Is there a lubrication point for the transmission we should know about? This is a puzzling machine but I like it.
  7. scootrboi

scootrboi Long timer

Oddometer:
    National Transportation Safety Bureau investigator Kenny Bragg said investigators would focus on the factors affecting the driver, the mechanical condition of the pickup truck, and the “survivability of the motorcycle operators.” The NTSB looks to issue safety recommendations based on its findings.

New Hampshire Deputy Attorney General Jane Young said autopsies began Saturday morning on the seven crash victims. She said their names will not be released until all of their families have been contacted.

“This is a fluid and ongoing investigation,” Young said.

Helmets are not required of motorcyclists in New Hampshire.

Asked about that law, Sununu said, “At this point there’s no evidence, given the horrific significance of what happened, whether it was helmet or no helmet was going to provide provide some survivability. The no helmet issue is something the state has been dealing with for ages … We don’t see any movement on that coming forward.”
  8. bmwloco

bmwloco Long timer

Oddometer:
    Still flogging the Scarabeo. Same tires, same belt, same variators. I'm just wondering when it'll go "pop" but hey, until then... I'll flog that screaming weasel until it breaks.
    BandBGuy and RedArrow like this.
  9. JerryH

Oddometer:
    The transmission oil needs to be changed once in a while. It uses Ford Type F ATF. Puch made the best mopeds you could buy back in the '70s and early '80s. They're German. Well, sort of. They were actually made in Austria. They were part of the Steyr-Daimler-Puch conglomerate at one time. I nev er found a mountain that thing couldn't climb. Even though it is only 50cc, it had no problem with steep grades. Just let it stay in first gear, and that would keep the engine spinning fast enough to climb without bogging. If it shifted into second, you just back off the throttle a little and let it drop back into first. It easily climbed grades that a couple of 125cc CVT scooters I had wouldn't.

https://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Changing_Puch_ZA50_transmission_fluid
  10. CMS

CMS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds good, looking forward to pictures when done . Scootrboi may have found another business, with your extra room and now the Icosa, contruction may be in his furture. cms
    IMHO, I don't get the off road scooter thing .I can see scoots on secondary and lesser roads, but off road ,hills etc. You need a dirt bike. That's why we have multiple rides in the garage. Just my opinion. cms
  11. JerryH

Oddometer:
    Dirt bikes are fine. I had a perfectly good dual sport bike. But I was unable to get on it because of the seat height. The seat height on my Vespa GT200 is only 1/2" lower, but I can get on it with ease. The reason is because it is a step through. Other than kids bikes, they don't make dirt bikes with seats I can get on. And they are not capable of carrying 240+ pounds. That is why I want an off road scooter, or underbone type bike. The northern part of my state has some serious hills, over 10,000 feet, paved roads to the top. The little 50cc Puch climbed them fine. Slow, but the engine was not struggling. My Vespa GT200 climbs them fine. It slows down a bit, but engine rpms stay in the powerband. A couple of Japanese 125s I had would not climb those hills (mountains actually) not because they didn't have the power, but because their CVT transmissions didn't have a low enough gear range. The engines bogged down and lugged like crazy. That little moped has a super low first gear. Different weight rollers might have helped the scooters climb better, but then they would have been worthless on level roads because of the top speed I would lose.
  12. RedArrow

RedArrow With scootrboi

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jerry for the info on the Ford F ATF oil, I'll get that when I get back from Portlandia. I will also try and find a stock seat at some point.
    ~ Red
  13. RedArrow

RedArrow With scootrboi

Oddometer:
    Hi CMS, It's finished! This was an interesting project, it took a lot out of us the problem was uneven ground, we did paint the corrugated steel twice. P1190795.JPG
  14. JerryH

Oddometer:
    https://www.treatland.tv/category-s/62.htm
    treatland has several. When I first got it the stock seat was trashed, so I just threw a bicycle seat on it. I was going to modify it into something a lot faster, which is why I got the E50 single speed engine. The 2 speed engines don't hold up well to more power. But I just lost interest. You can put a long seat on it, but you have to give up the rack. I used the rack for clip on bicycle panniers to carry spare tubes and flat tire fixing stuff.
  15. CMS

CMS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really looks great. The uneven land is a problem but I think You handled it well. I like the painted roof , I also think you could sneak a third bike in there if needed. Hows the neighbor, no complaints ? cms
  16. minimac

minimac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Red, if you don't mind, I'd like to semi-hijack your thread for a moment, but it is related. I just sold my long term Majesty, and the guy that bought it has an old Honda Aero 125. He claims to have checked and the only place he could find a drive belt for it was in ENGLAND! He asked me to see if there were other sources in the states, and if aftermarket belts were OK. I warned him about buying an aftermarket belt for the Majesty, after I had one chunk off bits after only 3000 miles, but that was my opinion and only with regards to the Majesty. So - I thought the best place to get the info was here, where there are a few 125 owners. The poor guy has had his 125 apart for 3 weeks waiting and no end is in sight yet.
    EDIT: It may be an Elite 125. I just know its from the 80s
  17. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    Here's a link to an Aero 125 in the San Jose area. Pricey but it looks beautiful.
    https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/d/cupertino-125-aero-1984-honda-scooter/6921282344.html

@minimac Regarding the belt, if memory serves me the 125 Aero used the same belt as the 125 Elite of the same year, and probably the 150 of later years. You can't get new old Honda parts anymore, andany belt that old is pretty unreliable anyway. There are lots of Chinese clone belts. I know that a belt Gates makes for snowmobiles is good on 250 Elites, and Gates is a quality manufacturer, but I don't know about the smaller belt on the 125's.

Here's what I learned from threads on www.hondaspree.net

794 x 18 x 30 is the correct OEM measurement

A writer said, "I used a belt that measures 799 X 19 X 28...readily available for under $30"

These numbers are millimeters long around the outside, millimeters wide when the belt is new and degrees angle of the sides. Maybe a call to Gates with the dimensions would help. I went on their website and searched for one and came up with PL20501. Similar dimensions (805 18 28) and it is a drive belt. You can find one on Amazon at https://www.amazon.com/Gates-PL2050...lt+PL20501&qid=1561823678&s=automotive&sr=1-1

Maybe it would be OK?
  18. bmwloco

bmwloco Long timer

Oddometer:
    For the money he wants for that Aero, why not just buy a modern Cub or Stepthrough?

My last two BMW motorcycles were cheaper than that, and have better range, brakes, and will do triple digits with ease.
  19. JerryH

Oddometer:
    I'm too big for the Aero, but if I weren't, I'd definitely be interested in it. First, it's a one year only model. But the most important reason I like it is because it is a 2 stroke. I love 2 strokes. That's why I will never part with my Stella. I remember riding behind Red on her Aero, and seeing and smelling the smoke coming out of it. It was wonderful. Believe it or not, I sometimes push my Stella outside and start it up, and just set close to it for the experience, that wonderful 2 stroke sound, smell, and smoke. It is simple, crude, primitive, and visceral. Not seriously over refined like modern engines. It is an internal combustion engine at it's most basic. What I fell in love with over 50 years ago.

Red, that is an interesting structure. I've never seen anything quite like it. I'd paint the wood too. Here unpainted wood tends to rot fairly quickly. I'm thinking about having a small Tuffshed built in my back yard. I have two bikes parked in the garage, and I have to move one of them every time I take one of the cars out. There would be room in the shed for the bikes and a few other things that are in the way in the garage.
  20. RedArrow

RedArrow With scootrboi

Oddometer:
    Well things could change, we arrived home from a wonderful time in Portland Oregon to find the City Inspectors calling card in our door. This is who gave us permission to build the "deck" for the scooters, putting the roof on made it look like a building, so we might have to take that part off. The inspector is going to talk to the City Manager and the Planning dept. and see what they want us to do. At least the conversation went well when we phoned him, he ended the conversation with... do not worry. Yes we can have 3 in.
    ~ Red
    klaviator likes this.