The Honda Aero 125 Thread

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by RedArrow, Nov 14, 2013.

1. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have tried just about everything and found what I prefer. I didn't just decide that I liked old vehicles without trying new ones. But to me there is just no comparison. Old wins hands down. It's not even close. I am not a modern person, and I don't like the modern way of life. I don't even have a smartphone. I got my first computer back in 1993. It had 420MB of RAM. It was fun to play with. This was before the internet. I had no idea what this simple device would eventually evolve into. I got my first cell phone in 1987. It was a car phone, and had to be installed in the car. Nothing but a regular phone that did not require any wires. Again I had no idea what such a simple device would eventually become.

I am on the internet because I live alone, and there are forums for people with the same interests as mine. In my whole life I have only personally known one person who rode a motorcycle. I currently know two people who ride scooters. And they are not local. But as nice as having this resource is, it is certainly not without it's problems.

Red and scootrboi, I hope things are going well. I have not forgotten this is your thread. I hope to be able to make it down there sometime in the not to distant future (on a scooter) after it cools off a bit, if you are not too busy. I do realize everybody has to make a living.
  2. RedArrow

RedArrow With scootrboi

Oddometer:
    Good Morning, I think sometimes we get used to our old clunky machines. When Scooter daughter was here to drop off her Honda Element with us so she would not have to store it in SF and since someone cut out her Catalytic converter when it was parked infront of her apartment in Emeryville ( The replacement part is $ 1,500. Yikes) and she needed to save all her $ to go to Australia, so I told her to bring it to Bisbee since we do not have emissions restrictions or parking restrictions. I LOVE the Honda Element, it is so much more comfortable then Truck and it is made really well, solid built air conditioning CD player...etc I got so use to discomfort that I forgot what goes with modernism, yes upgrades. Now granted this is a 2005 but to me it is a little taste of luxury. Not to mention I really like the new car smell that it exudes. So I can see both ways new scoots and old scoots both are good.
    ~ Red
    klaviator and Dan V. like this.
  3. bmwloco

bmwloco Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was seriously considering getting a Honda Element as my dog hauler after I sell my Audi TT. But after pricing them out, even with 150,000-175,000 miles they are still priced $5000-6500 or more. So, I've revised my thinking, and going American this time. 2004-2009 Lincoln Town Cars go for $1500-4000 with full leather, cushy rides and a willing V8 that gets 23mpg - or about what I would get in an Element struggling through the mountains.

Full explanation, looking at my driving habits, a V8 wouldn't be hard to live with or that expensive. I put less than 3k on my TT last year, as I spend the majority of my time on 2 wheels. Scooter for city local, motorcycles for longer sorties. The stinkin' Lincoln would be for hauling the hounds to our place on the lake, 2 hours away. It's 4 lanes, but rises from 2900ft to near 4000ft in elevation in short order for 90 miles, then 12 miles of good two lane.

On the scooter front, the Scarabeo just just keeps wailing along.
  4. scootrboi

scootrboi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Aluminum headlight bucket fabricated with simple tools. The ebay headlight snapped into place and I hammered the star into a thin starfish. Access to the inside will be from the back. For a CT90. Shatterproof bucket. H4 bulb 6v. The ones available crack easily. Since this bike will have no speedometer the work is simplified.

Attached Files:

bmwloco and Wentwest like this.
  5. RedArrow

RedArrow With scootrboi

Oddometer:
    Hi bmwloco ~ Yes the Element is about $ 5,000 but after experiencing the interesting format inside ( The back seats fold up ) There is a hefty rubber mat through out so you can hose down. I never understood when you went to purchase a SUV they all seemed to have carpet inside. The inside height can fit a scooter or two.
    I'm pretty happy it will be hard to give it up in a year!
    ~ Red

Attached Files:

The Virginian likes this.
  6. CMS

CMS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Red, I like your Honda Element. The wife has a Honda CRV, really like it also. I've tried to find an Eliment myself but few and far between here. We've a Honda Dealership just down the road ,but no luck so far. People seem to keep them for a long time , and there well used if they do trade. How is the scooter barn coming ? and the neighbor. Hope all is quiet, cms
  7. JerryH

Oddometer:
    Red, you can get aftermarket catalytic converters for around $200 that are legal in AZ, I don't know about CA but I believe they are. I had the catalytic converter replaced on a 1988 Suzuki Samurai many years ago by a shop (it was welded in) and it cost less than $300 for parts and labor.

The 4.6L V8 in the Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, and Town Car is virtually indestructible. With proper maintenance they can last well past 300,000 miles. I was going to get a Town Car, but I discovered the highway mileage on the Grand Marquis was about 5 mpg better. I bought an '06 from the original owner with 47,000 miles on it, and have put another 100,000 miles on it. Only repair was a alternator. These are very comfortable cars. I plan on driving one the rest of my life. Only car I've ever had that hasn't pounded my back over bumps. They can easily tow a motorcycle trailer.
    bmwloco likes this.
  8. bmwloco

bmwloco Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Crown Vic, Grand Marquis and Town Car also have 5 star safety ratings all the way around. Even modern cars and SUVs (mostly Unibody) don't have that.
  9. RedArrow

RedArrow With scootrboi

Oddometer:
    Thanks CMS ~ There seems to be a lot of Elements out west, there are two copper orange ones here in Bisbee and our buddy Maynard sold his when Scooter Daughter was looking for hers in the Bay Area, she got hers from a woman in SF who found it too clunky for the city. It is a perfect camping truck with the tall frame and the skylight. They even have these camping extensions that can go on the roof, pretty cool.
    Hope you find one.
    ~ Red
  10. RedArrow

RedArrow With scootrboi

Oddometer:
    Hi Jerry, I do not need a catalytic for AZ as of yet. When I was searching for one if Scooter Daughter was going to stay in CA there were only a few which were acceptable to pass emissions in CA and those ones are super expensive.
    ~ Red
  11. RedArrow

RedArrow With scootrboi

Oddometer:
    Hi bmwloco ~ Seems like you have found your car.
    ~ Red
  12. sculpt

sculpt n00b

Oddometer:
    I am finally replacing the front fork on my Aero125. A new used fender will be going on along with a couple of new bearing races. The wheelbase was shortened by 4.5" due to the accident and end over end flip. When I read this thread from the beginning I do remember seeing a bit on an easy way to remove the screw holding the speedometer cable to the brake housing. Does anyone recall how this is done as I don't want to bugger up the screw and it has never been removed before.

Attached Files:

13. baloneyskin daddy

baloneyskin daddy bikaholic Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    In a perfect world you'd have access to a little hand held impact driver with the correct phillips head tip on it but a good fitting phillips head screwdriver and a little tapping on the handle with a small hammer as you attempt to loosen it should work fine. If you don't have the proper tip you're going to ruin the head of the screw.
  14. sculpt

sculpt n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the quick response. I initially gave the screw a couple of tries and remembered that this procedure had been written about. So the screw is still in perfect condition. I have been applying an anti seize liquid made by Seafoam. I shall use the proper js screwdriver and tap with a rawhide mallet. Thank you
  15. bmwloco

bmwloco Long timer

Oddometer:
    Didn't get an Element as they were all in the $4000-$5000 range for cars that had over 200k on 'em. I got a Mercedes E320 Wagon for all of $2800, and it runs like a top! And paid all fo $2800 for it, or less than I what I pay for most motorcycles. Perfect dog hauler too!
  16. oldhippie1

oldhippie1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your thread has really slowed down. What's going on? News about about Ya Ya and Scooter girl please.
  17. CMS

CMS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, what he said ,and also the new scooter barn, grumpy neighbor, scooter rides and hows scootrboi doing with only one scoot ?
  18. Squar

Squar Jim

Oddometer:
    Hi Red, Jerry, and all you guys of long standing, I’m still around and have been catching up on un-read posts, The last year has not been good for me with a return of heart problems since August ‘18 that prevented me from doing almost anything.... Only able to walk 40ft before having to rest or fall down, sweet wife Catherine has had to cope with shopping while I sat in the car unable to do much, things got worse as the year progressed, several visits to doctors and hospital were made with my complaint and I was put on an extremely long waiting list for surgery which continued through to end of July 2019 when, being fed up with waiting and constant chest pains not to mention rapid consumption of GTN heart sprays Catherine called the 999 emergency ambulance service who arrived within 20 minutes and after checking me over took me straight to hospital, once there more tests were carried out before I was transferred to a ward, yet more tests followed after which I was again transferred to another ward to further expedite surgical treatment, within two days I had been queue jumped for immediate surgery having cardiac arteries opened up to increase blood flow. Two days later I was released from hospital to rest at home with no driving allowed for 4 weeks until September 2019. Up to two days ago I have lost 30 lbs in weight and feel considerably weaker although pleasingly without any further chest pains and I’m gradually increasing my walking distance - even walking half way around the local supermarket 3 days ago before having to rest.

A good thing to have come out of all this is that I’ve bought two folding Mobility scooters for transportation, one for each of us between hospital car parks and buildings which are about 1/2 mile apart. See: www.eFOLDi.com
    These scoots are light enough (17Kg each) to carry two in the car ready for use as required.

Because of my problems up till now absolutely nothing has been done in the garage, I sold my boat and most of my model aircraft due to my unstable balance when twisting sharply. All my bikesexcept the 80cc Lead are on the road so to speak just waiting for me get up the energy and enthusiasm to ride, best of summer is past now so unlikely to be this year. Still have to replace the engine hangar on the Helix to get rid of constant vibration, that’s a job for anon.....as yet another year passes I hope to clock up 82 on October 24 and continue enjoying my bikes.

Jim

Attached Files:

BandBGuy likes this.
  19. JerryH

Oddometer:
    Hi Jim, nice to hear from you. I was getting a bit worried. I am sorry to hear about your condition. I was doing pretty well for being in the condition I'm in, then wiped out my back from hitting a giant pothole with the rear wheel on my Lance Cali Classic 125. That was weeks ago, it will be one more week before I can see an orthopedic doctor. Things move slow here. Unfortunately this has not just messed up my ability to ride, but to sit anywhere, including in a chair and a car. The only relief is to lay down in just the right position, and I've been doing a lot of that recently. I'm afraid the orthopedic doctor is going to tell me not to ride anymore. If he does I will not listen to him. I knew the day of riding motorcycles would eventually end, whether this is it or not I don't know. But I am NOT giving up scooters. I thought about one of those mobility scooters, but around here those things are suicide machines. Many people have been killed riding them on sidewalks and in parking lots. I have had to use the electric shopping carts in Walmart for a long time now. Before my back injury I could walk about 150 feet. Now I am just about unable to walk at all. Fortunately my oldest daughter has been wonderful. I take her to the store with a short shopping list (I eat very basic foods) and wait in the car while she goes in and gets it. I have gotten used to ordering other things online from Walmart and Amazon. Take care of yourself. Jerry
  20. fried okra

fried okra Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got a new front basket and rack type thing for an Aero 125. Anybody near Charleston, SC interested in it?

fried okra