The Honda Aero 125 Thread

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by RedArrow, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Squar

Squar Jim

Oddometer:
    Hi Jerry, It’s good to hear from you, I’m so sorry to hear of your back injury, having had a back injury myself since 1986 I can really sympathise...... Don’t get rid of your bikes, they mean a lot to you just as mine do, always being there they they give us each the opportunity to ride if and when we so wish which is so important.

My back pain is a disc problem I know all too well, many times I have to resort to resting in bed to relieve pain as much as possible, add this to my current heart problems which shows I spend more time in bed than most people. I bought the two mobility scooters for good reason, both wife and I now have difficulty walking distances - especially when visiting places like hospitals where long walks both inside and outside/ between car parks are common and for both of us are out of the question, we don’t ride them on sidewalks or the like because of perceived dangers.

Just over a year ago because of my heart condition and walking problem I bought a Quingo Flyte Mobility scooter that cost me £4500, Its main advantage being that it powers itself up a ramp into our SUV - but it weighs about 250 lbs, having used it once I found I was unable to set its ramps (because of their weight) without collapsing with chest pain so it sits new and pretty well unused at home, would sell it but would loose at least 2/3rds of its cost price. By comparison these two eFOLDi scoots are really marvellous, last week when visiting hospital I found one scoot had a zilch dead battery after just about 1 hours previous use, Yesterday (Monday) I phoned the manufacturing company informing of my problem....This morning a new £500 replacement battery was delivered F.O.C. by courier, Teriffic service!
    Many times during the last few months being unable to walk I have had to wait in the car while Catherine did the shopping, I really felt bad about it but there was nothing I could do. Get plenty of rest Jerry and try to recover from your injury.

Jim
  2. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had back surgery in 1979, 40 years ago. According to the doctor, I had a disc (L5) broken up in little pieces, and the sciatic nerve was caught between them. Eventually my right leg began to go numb, and they rushed me into surgery the next day. They told ne that if the nerve was damaged, I would be paralyzed for life. Everything was fine for most of the next 40 years, back wise anyway. The rest of me is falling apart. I believe I have a herniated disc from hitting that pothole, it does not feel like nerve pain. But it is bad nonetheless. I won't really know until they do an MRI. If that is what it is, my guess is that they will not want to do surgery at my age. In the U.S. I have what is called Medicare, one of the worst medical insurances there is.

My sister is paralyzed from the waist down due to cancer. She has a super expensive electric wheel chair given to here by her (much better) insurance company. She has taken that thing as far a 5 miles before. She lives in the Portland, OR area, where they have wonderful bus and light rail disabled service. At seriously discounted rates.

I should be ok for a few more years if I can get something done about the back problem, which was just a freak accident. But considering the way I have lived my life, I will never be in as good a condition as most my age. But I don't regret it. My 72 year old former father in law can walk circles around me at 12 years older. But he has had far less physical stress and injuries in his life.
  3. sculpt

sculpt n00b

Oddometer:
    Question at large: Has anyone found a paint that is close to the beige/gold/brass Aero125? I'm not really inclined to do a full paint job right now, just some work on the board floor.
  4. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
  5. Squar

Squar Jim

Oddometer:
    I’ve enjoyed the past 5-1/2 years of this wonderful thread but am beginning to wonder if it will make its sixths anniversary, there is after all only so much one can say about an individual model and as is evident there has been much deviation recently, each of us have lives outside of a thread and I commend you Red for continuing for so long and thank you for all your work which at times must have been more than a bit frustrating.
    I for one, pass on my wish that all your new found interests provide you as much pleasure as you have found in holding the Honda Aero thread together for so long.
    A big THANK YOU RED.

Jim
    BandBGuy likes this.
  6. oldhippie1

oldhippie1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree with Squar. What interest me is what Scooter Daughter and Ya-Ya are up to and you never mention a thing. I myself am 75 and each day is a little harder. Well winter is on the way. Oh joy.
  7. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    This thread can go on for years. A short little ride and a picture or two a couple of times a week is all it would take. Not even that really. This is also a thread where others talk about things. Red and scootrboi must be really busy. I've tried to contact them a couple of times without success. I doubt that, like me, they spend hours a day in front of the computer ever day. I would certainly hate to lose track of them. They are wonderful people. Maybe they have temporarily lost interest in scooters. It happens. I used to think of motorcycle/scooter and immediately think "fun" Now I think "pain" Hopefully that will change.
    klaviator and Dan V. like this.
  8. Squar

Squar Jim

Oddometer:
    8414F788-8296-4AEB-A9BB-BA2164204680.jpeg Autumn days here are getting shorter, darker and colder - except for the odd sunny day where outside air temperatures reach around 16 - 18 degrees C, slowly I appear to be making a recovery....last week I managed to navigate 6 isles, about half of the store of our local supermarket on foot before verging on collapse.
    This week I managed same job and got around whole store before my body started to scream in pain.

My problem is that at the moment I’m unable to remain pain free long enough to enjoy working in the garage where I have four bikes, all licenced for the road, but one - the Helix, needing to be torn down to basic frame in order to renew the engine hangar hopefully to rectify the constant heavy vibration present at all revs, the job is the last one to do following earlier replacement of many parts using hard to find OEM parts where I vowed to ignore costs while attempting to return the scoot to its almost new condition.

This Helix being my 2nd one has 30,000+ miles on it, so how it got into its present state I’m unsure; five years ago I rather stupidly sold my owned from new Helix with just 7,000 miles on it - now this replacement is more treasured as I’ve come to recognise its virtues mainly its low and comfortable seat position unequalled by any other scoot I know of.

Jim
    The Virginian likes this.
  9. Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Squar those are such a cool looking scoot, nice shape.
  10. Squar

Squar Jim

Oddometer:
    Fiftygrit , Yes the shape grows on one, when I first saw a Helix in 1990 I was riding a Small Honda 80 Lead although still owning the less ridden Sunbeam S8, - in those days most bikes were metal having exposed engines, plastic covering was fairly new, the Helix was the only one of its type in the showroom and bitten with curiosity I asked for a ride...but not expecting the shop to let me ride away on it solo which they did; with my wife on pillion I rode the Motorway for about 60 miles before returning the scoot - although it wasn’t known as such then, I was impressed but couldn’t have that one but found another shop where I clinched the deal and bought a new one - just like the one I now have but it had one fault - it always wanted to fall to the left if the bars were let go of.

I complained to Honda UK about the prob, a week later they came back saying they had tried several Helix taken straight out of the crate and they all did the same.... that was the reason for such low mileage and why I later sold it - which a few years later I now regret.

It is a bike that my wife is happy and most at ease on, easy to mount having low seating position with pillion safety arms and back rest combined with an adequate trunk although not for f f helmets. Having a top speed of 75 mph its happy on the highway at 70 all day - to me now its A Real Keeper although my motorway (highway) days are mostly over now due to health limitations.

Jim
  11. Squar

Squar Jim

Oddometer:
    C’mon guys and gals let’s be hearing from you, there must be a lot going on out there that interests all of us.

Besides bikes and scoots my wife Catherine and I also have an interest in N Gauge model railways, Catherine built her first model railway with a little assistance from me on the electrical side 4 years ago when she was 81, we both joined a model railway club and have exhibited our layout at eight model railway events within 50 miles of us.

The layout is the first of two - 5.5’ x 2.5’ depicting a hypothetical part of a well known Yorkshire railway which we named DALESGATE, it has two lines passing through a lamp lit station with working signals on each line all set amidst a country farm backdrop and traffic laden roads. We are displaying the layout all day this Saturday at our local model shop.

The second layout also built by Catherine is a little larger and centred on J K Rolling’s Hogwarts series and named HOGWARTS ADVENTURE.

JIM

Attached Files:

12. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Virginian likes this.
  13. Squar

Squar Jim

Oddometer:
    Klavaitor, There’s a lot of love and care been put in on that 2nd Aero, its a really good looking job...

Jim
    klaviator likes this.
  14. fried okra

fried okra Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone need/want a factory front basket and windscreen for an Aero 125?

jv_roberts2000 at the yahoo
  15. Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sure hope Red and Scooterboi are ok they haven't been on here since August 10th, hope they are just working lots. Just wondering.
    CMS and sro99 like this.
  16. CMS

CMS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ditto, hope all is ok. Anxious to see how the scooter barn came out and the status of the mean neighbor .
  17. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Red, Scooterboi, and JerryH all seem to be MIA. I hope they are all OK.
  18. TeSmSp

TeSmSp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    TrashCan passed, maybe that's why?
  19. Dan V.

Dan V. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Huh?
  20. klaviator

Oddometer:
    He passed away last night.:(

For those who haven't heard about this, Jerry was in a motorcycle accident a few weeks ago. He had driven to WV, picked up a new (to him) Ninja 400 and was riding it home. He made it most of the way home when someone pulled out in front of him in a UTV. The collision resulted in multiple broken bones in his arms and legs. Jerry went through multiple surgeries. I think if he was 20 years younger he would have made it but he was 74 or 75 and not in the best of health.

Jerry was a friend and I am glad I was able to spend some time and ride with him over the last several years. I am going to miss him.

Jerry is on the left. Everyone else in the pic is also on this forum. This was taken a couple of months ago during the Maggie Valley Scooter ride.

[​IMG]