The Honda Aero 125 Thread

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by RedArrow, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Squar

Squar Jim

Oddometer:
    Dork. Good to see you again, Yes the UK has many canals and waterways, if one travelled on them all it could take upwards of two years depending on length of stopovers, there are narrow canals able to take vessels up to 6’10” wide and 70’ in length (canal boats) and wider rivers able to take much larger craft many of which are or could be sea-going for owners having deep pockets! My vessel, a fibreglass cabin cruiser had a length of 26’ and beam of 8’-10” and had 4 berths only two of which were used as berths, I had my boat for 35 years and did much work on it including rebuilding its diesel engine (bought as trash from a breakers yard), converting (marinising) it for marine use and fitting it in the boat replacing its petrol (gas) engine, over the years of ownership I completely re-wired the vessel and fitted air conditioning, heating and a refrigerator. Initially father and I used the vessel for many years with me ‘single handing’ navigation, following dads passing I used the vessel single handed for several years for holidays on the 120 miles of the River Thames which has more than 30 locks on its length situated on the upper reaches of the river effectively making it almost non-tidal. Regrettably after 35 years I had to dispose of it due to my balance having been upset by my heart attacks, likewise my model airplane building and flying had to be curtailed for the same reason. While boating one made many friends up and down the river and wife Catherine and I became members of the Middle Thames Yacht Club for more than 15 years during which time we also cruised up the East Coast of the North Sea.

Photo of DAVINA herself, looking somewhat dirty due to my poor health.
    Pictured below is the Diesel engine I re-built to new and installed in our vessel DAVINA and having done 2,000 + hours.

Jim

Attached Files:

2. Squar

Squar Jim

Oddometer:
    Jerry, Hi, Yes we both have to suffer the ravages of I’ll health and it is so annoying to remember the things we used to do but no longer can. Many folk look forward to retirement believing all will be Rosey but with it often comes many disadvantages.
    We have to try to keep our chins up and master our futures in whatever way we can.

Jim
    DandyDoug likes this.
  3. oldhippie1

oldhippie1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Squar----I remember you built model railroads. Maybe you already know this. I just caught a bit on the news that the Rock Singer Rod Stewart builds model railroads. He has one that covers 1500 square feet that he's been working on for something like 40 years. It was unbelievable. Phil
  4. Squar

Squar Jim

Oddometer:
    Hi Phill, Yes I’ve seen it in the press, it’s very impressive indeed and far beyond my aims.....

Jim
  5. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    He has money, lots of it. It is great to have lots of money to put into your hobbies. Aside from bikes and cars, I also have a couple of other hobbies. Amateur radio and building and flying radio controlled model airplanes. I pretty much have all the radio equipment I need, but I don't have much money to put into the airplane hobby anymore.
  6. Squar

Squar Jim

Oddometer:
    Certainly more than I have......one of my hobbies was Aero modeling in large scale (5 meters span), but after my heart failure my balance has gone so can’t look skywards or turn sharply without falling over, also had to sell my motor cruiser after my balance went.... life is less fun as one ages.

Jim
    DandyDoug and Chillis like this.
  7. CMS

CMS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Red, Scooterboi, winter is approaching, we need your scooter ride reports, so those of us that will have the bad, non riding season, can make it through to spring.
    DandyDoug likes this.
  8. Squar

Squar Jim

Oddometer:
    Until my heart attacks causing problems with my balance amongst other things I built many large scale model airplanes and boats, here’s a couple of photos taken a few years ago of one of my planes and one of my 1/12th Scale Vosper Fire Tender built by Vosper of Southampton to service the Princess Flying Boats they used to operate from Calshot water in UK circa 1950’s/60’s, my craft took over a year to build and incorporates a live wheelhouse, a sick bay with bunks and RAF Blankets, working lights and working water monitors, casualty lift, boarding stair, suction hoses, foam storage tanks aft, powered by two ‘900’ size electric motors and is 2.4Mhz radio controlled - cost to build was £1500.00.

My model Piper J3 Cub of the 1940’s has a wingspan of 8ft, is powered by a Lazer 150 engine also fitted with 2.4Mhz Radio Control, build took 9 months and cost £950.00.

Jim

Attached Files:

9. Squar

Squar Jim

Oddometer:
    3FC2A5E2-95F0-4E96-9140-F257B0ECDEC0.png My model Piper J3 Cub.

Jim
  10. Squar

Squar Jim

Oddometer:
    As the festive season draws near may I wish all our wonderful contributors A HAPPY CHRISTMAS & Happy New Year, clear the chimney for Santa Claus to enable him to bring you the best of everything.

Jim
    Chillis likes this.
  11. Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit Long timer

Oddometer:
    Merry Christmas back to you and yours.
    Chillis likes this.
  12. bikeridermark

bikeridermark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Love that Piper Cub! Love to have it!
  13. Squar

Squar Jim

Oddometer:
    Hi guys, it’s good to see you still look in, keep it up....
    I just loved building scale models, especially large ones, both planes and boats, but because of my medical condition I can no longer look skywards holding a trannie, same problem, loss of balance, cancelled my full size boating after more than 40 years, I’m hoping as my strength improves fo be able to ride my bikes again.

When I was younger and a regular firefighter I never took tablets or other medication but now I have to take 14 tablets daily, 10 in morning and 4 at bedtime to keep going, it’s only with thanks to dear wife who diligently sorts my pills, that I’m here at all; by rights I should have deceased in 2014 with the big un - before which I loved using spanners (wrenches) and working on the bikes.

I still have a job outstanding on my Helix which involves removing its engine to renew the motor hangar unit, whose rubber shock bushes have become slack causing much vibration at all speeds.
    I’ll get there but don’t hold a stop watch against me! These days I look at many New bikes in awe thinking ‘if only I was younger I’d have one’ but one can’t turn the clock back unfortunately, but I don’t want to get rid of any of my bike collection because whether I ride them or not they provide great memories of the past and would be almost unobtainable today.

Have yourselves a great day with many more to follow.

Jim
    The Virginian and Dan V. like this.
  14. JerryH

Oddometer:
    The Piper Cub is a beautiful aircraft, an excellent example of a 1938 design still being flown today, and still has FAA approval. It's old technology still seems to work just fine.

I have had to explain to a few people why I keep bikes that I will likely never ride again. I keep them for the same reasons you do. Memories of the past are most certainly not worthless, especially with what we are faced with today. I am a collector of all kinds of things from the past, many of which I still use.
  15. CMS

CMS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The grandchildren and I are going to see Santa, in a day or two . Do you think I could ask Santa for a gift ? ( Red /Scooterboi to return to the blog, ) just a thought.
  16. Squar

Squar Jim

Oddometer:
    NIce to see you Jerry, I think we both agree - Old uns are the best....

CMS - what a good idea, t’would be good to hear from them both again, it’s been too long....

Jim
  17. Squar

Squar Jim

Oddometer:
    Yes Mark, that Piper Cub took me some 4 months to build and cost in the region of $900, I loved it too, however it has to be ‘water under the bridge’ now, I just couldn’t repeat it with my present condition.
    As the festive season draws closer we have to think of pressies for the grandchildren and our loved ones, there must be some lovely pressies out there - I know what I would like but regrettably Good Health is not on the cards...

Make it a good un guys and gals, Here’s to you all

Jim
  18. bmwloco

bmwloco Long timer

Oddometer:
    Quiet around here. Still flogging the Scarabeo, though drove the Benz wagon today as I had a request to bring my dog, Elroy in for everyone to see. He's a good old Staffie Terrier. Loyal, smart and gentle.
  19. CMS

CMS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, to all here . I look forword to another great riding year and enjoying this blog, one my favorites. cms
    Dan V. likes this.
  20. JerryH

Oddometer:
    Yes Jim, there are many very enjoyable things I have had to give up or cut back drastically on, and I do not see things getting better. Life does not come with a guarantee. I consider myself lucky to have had so much time to do things that I enjoy, and my two wonderful kids. Merry Chistmas to you and everyone. Merry Christmas to Red and ScootrBoi if you happen to read this.