1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

The Honda Aero 125 Thread

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by RedArrow, Nov 14, 2013.

1. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Jim. Hope things go well with the Helix. I went for another 50+ mile ride on the Stella this morning, then came back home and worked on my H-D Sportster for a while. Because I hadn't ridden it for such a long time, the gas went bad. I had already removed and cleaned the tank, and installed a non vacuum petcock on it so I can drain out the gas before it goes bad. A couple of weeks ago I removed and cleaned the carb. As I suspected, it was gummed up. This morning I finally got the carb put back on it, and if fired right up, for the first time in several months. By that time I was really tired, and laid down on the bed to take a nap. I just woke up an hour or so ago (after a 6+ hour nap) with extreme pain in my lower back and right leg. I have had a herniated disk for quite a while. I hit a lot of bumps on the scooter this morning, as I was trying to ride directly into the rising sun, and couldn't see the road surface very well to avoid bumps and potholes. I'm sure that is what caused it. The Stella does not have much in the way of suspension, and it pounds your back good when you hit a bump. It also has a hard as a rock seat. I'm going to avoid riding for the next couple of days or until it gets better. Surgery is my only option, and I already had the one right next to it removed 40+ years ago. They don't want to remove another one. I just need to be more careful. Best wishes, Jerry
    klaviator likes this.
  2. Squar

Squar Jim

Oddometer:
    Hi again Chaps & Gals
    Jerry, I feel for you with those bumps and the way they affect your back - mine too since having 4 discs removed (at separate times) making my back the weakest point, I wear a very good inflatable cushioned back belt 24/7 as without it I cannot stand for any time and always use my stick to walk with, (www.air-lomb.com) I daren’t suggest getting a lovely Helix - that would be too much but suspension is much softer to handle the bumps and at 75mph they’re highway capable. Check it out......
    https://www.motorscooterguide.net/Honda/Helix/Owner-Review/Helix.html

CMS Hi there, I’m always happy to help anybody where I can and our Newbie is no exception, it’s good for him to see that he’s not alone as pre-web I used to be, on whatever I rode or worked on, I’ve done the same for dear Red as well, I get more enjoyment from helping people wherever I can.

I can say to anyone contemplating getting a Helix, there maybe a lot of faster machines about having unneeded ‘rocket speeds’ but Helix sets the goal for comfort and reliability, I bought my first one new in 1990 - an ‘89 manufactured model having steel wheels, stupidly I got rid of it 5 years ago with just 7,000 miles on it - to get a Burgman 400 and boy what a mistake that was having a seat that was so high and wide that dear wife could not mount it, and it was heavy into the bargain so after 680 miles in 4 years it had to go, my search was on again for a dear ( old by now) Helix replacement which when I got it, had more defects than my original - not to mention its crankshaft problem, but still I’m glad to have it again - and so is dear wife who can sit comfortably and mount it easily with her short stature. There are so many colour variations nowadays that a buyer has to take what’s available but my choice has always been red.

As always STAY SAFE guys & Gals

Jim
    klaviator likes this.
  3. Squar

Squar Jim

Oddometer:
    Its been a while since I posted, the hospitals 2nd op on my waterworks as a check on residues from the 1st op suggest that all is ok and no further cancer exists — But as a precaution I’ve been offered a treatment of further injections 1 day per week for 6 weeks, quite honestly I don’t intend to do this as travelling each time would cost me a small bomb; Instead the hospital has put me on a waiting list for same surgery every 3 months to confirm checks, the unfortunate part of this is that the op includes a spinal injection that numbs the lower regions for several hours often necessitating an overnight stay.

Wearing out from it all I went into the garage to raise the CN on its lift to find out where the puddle of oil had leaked from, - the underside of the bike was dry EXCEPT for a slight drip seen around the drain plug - which I have to say was MY FAULT for not fitting a new copper washer when I filled the sump a year ago, so next I tried to obtain said 14mm I.D.washer, I couldn’t believe it was another case of more Hen’s Teeth...... after visiting several repairers and getting ‘ sorry we don’t keep them’ replies I spent more than two hours on the web searching for same which eventually I found and ordered a whole box full to be delivered Friday, with the leaked oil mopped up I checked the contents on the Fill plug which showed Zilch oil present - so by just a very small drip the sump had emptied itself over a period of 12 months!

A LESSON Learnt the hard way, - Always renew copper sealing washer when refitting sump plug, - sounds so simple (which it is) but there you are - or there I am! Stupid! - but how many of us take a chance on reusing a copper washer? I’ve done the same thing many times - but this time it backfired on me.

The oil filler on the Helix is in just the wrong place - or placed to make an oil change more difficult by being sited under a ledge necessitating a syringe to be the answer - so same was also ordered to be here on Friday just in time for the bikes M.O.T. Test next week before the bike goes in for its crankshaft replacement.

Look after yourselves guys & Galls

Jim
    klaviator and Dan V. like this.
  4. CMS

CMS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jim sounds like all is going well ,glad to hear that. Also ready to hear, the rest of the story , and see how the new crankshaft works out.
  5. Squar

Squar Jim

Oddometer:
    CMS, Yea it’ll be a different bike when it comes back - with new Crankshaft, new HAGON Rear shocks, new hangar & bushes, replacements for missing dash buttons etc.
    Can’t wait to ride it - if allowed to.....here we’re on the point of 2nd wave of corona virus hitting the country with country wide lock downs mooted for the future, def not good but we hope to survive the Covid19 virus if it gets close! But unfortunately we’re in the ‘high risk’ bracket in our eighties.

Jim
  6. CMS

CMS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anxious also to see how that scooter will preform with you as the pilot, also keep us informed on the second wave of the covid, hoping it will not be as bad as they are making it sound. Stay safe , Terry
  7. Squar

Squar Jim

Oddometer:
    2nd wave of Covid 19 has arrived and led to more selected lockdowns around the country, wearing of face masks has been made compulsory in all shops and by shop staff at all times, pubs to be closed at 10pm, further restrictions on meeting indoors and outdoors, the list goes on......

My Helix has been made ready for its M.O.T. due today - but it’s raining upwards! So has been cancelled until 28th when it goes in for work already mentioned, addition to work will be to fit new HAGON shocks to the front - as well as the back which should get rid of the previously claimed Pogo Stick tendencies of the original suspension.

Keep Safe Guys & Gals.....always!

Jim
    klaviator likes this.
  8. JerryH

Oddometer:
    Hi Jim. The CV lockdowns have ended here, and it is unlikely they will come back. Our elected officials would be committing political suicide if they brought them back. We do now have a mask policy, but only in stores and other businesses. Many restaurants have reopened, with every other table closed. You can remove the mask once seated. Since the mask policy, other restrictions including the six foot distance thing have loosened up considerably. It's almost back to normal except for the masks.

We don't have to have any kind of inspection for bikes here. You can get a 5 year registration if you want to, but if you do, you lose all the money you paid for it if you sell it. And it does not add any value to the bike, because it does not carry over to the new owner.

I have been reusing the oil drain washers on bikes for decades, unlike the oil and filter, which you can get anywhere, those washers are an oem replacement part. I check my oil often. Often when I order parts online I also order several of the washers for the bikes I have that use them. I have to order oil filter kits from the UK for the Royal Enfield, which come with all the washers and O rings. Since the shipping is so high, I order several at once. I change the oil and filter on that thing every 1000 miles. It is basically a 1950s British design bike made in India. I have just over 12,000 miles on it, and they rarely make it past 20,000 without a rebuild. I have 6 different bikes, so I have created a maintenance log on the computer for them.

Sounds like that Helix is going to be better than new. I keep finding bikes on Craigslist I want to buy, but I simply have no room for anymore. I gave one of my scooters to my oldest daughter and son in law. I had to wedge it into the garage, and it prevented me from walking through without going around to the other side and moving it out of the way.

On the non scooter related side, my oldest daughter is now 8 weeks pregnant. She has been married for almost 12 years, and they were unable to have kids. They were saving up money to do it the test tube way, and I decided to make a large contribution to their "baby fund" which enabled them to go ahead with it. Looks like I'm finally going to be a grandpa. I'll be 62 when the baby arrives. I have not had a child in my life since my kids were young. Really looking forward to it.

Take care and hang in there. Jerry
    Dan V., Squar, beRto. and 1 other person like this.
  9. Squar

Squar Jim

Oddometer:
    Just when I thought I’d got everything in order in readiness for the Helix job - the central heating boiler has packed up! It is 20 years old and it’s ignition unit has gone awol, a recommended electrical eng attended and after checks pronounced the boiler as being uneconomical to repair recommending a new unit, I’ve just had a cost estimate of around £2000 to supply and fit which is a lot more than anticipated, so everything’s up in the air again - while we freeze! Looks like one of the bikes will have to go to plug the hole....

Have a good day ya all - better than mine

Jim
  10. JerryH

Oddometer:
    Too bad about the heater. things like that have a tendency to happen at the worst possible time. £2000 doesn't sound to bad to me. About 8 years ago my heat pump, which supplies both heat and A/C went out. The compressor locked up. it was the original unit from when the house was new. Just over 30 years old. It cost me $6000 to have it replaced. Almost exactly 5 years later, the compressor failed on the new unit. It was not a burned out motor, it had completely locked up. The unit came with a 10 year parts warranty, but only one year on labor. Having done some A/C work before, I knew the compressor was only about $400, which was supposed to be covered under the parts warranty, and the labor would have been maybe another $400. But they wanted $1500 to replace the compressor, a complete ripoff. I told them where they could shove it, in no uncertain terms. I decided against replacing the compressor, because with it being completely locked up, there could be debris in the system from a hard failure, which would quickly destroy a new compressor, or plug something up, restricting refrigerant flow. So I had the whole unit replaced again by another company. Same warranty. Another $6000. So far it has worked fine for the past 3 years. They just don't make things like they used to. It was not uncommon for units made in the '70s and before to last 30+ years. Now you are lucky if they last half that long. Here where the temperatures are 115 degrees F through most of the long summer, it is very hard on A/C units. I can get by without heat during the winter (if you could call it winter, it rarely gets below 60 degrees F in the part of the state where I live) but A/C is critical.

It is not uncommon for newer units to not be worth fixing. They are designed to be disposable. And often you can't even get parts for older units anymore.

Sorry to hear about the Helix. Hopefully things will take a turn for the better. Jerry
  11. Squar

Squar Jim

Oddometer:
    The gas water heater has been replaced last week, cost £2640 including tax, job took 7 hours, looks good and works fine - too hot, had to turn it down somewhat.

The Helix went in for repair last week together with large box of new parts, my repairer took the bike out for a test run, on return he said he didn’t think the c’shaft was faulty but needs another opinion? ! Thinks it may be the engine hangar bushes - but we wait to see as many other new parts are also to be fitted, meanwhile I have time to recover from boiler cost!

Keep well guys & Galls - and wear those masks - please......

Jim
  12. CMS

CMS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Jim, well , sounds as the scoot might not be as bad as thought. I think you mentioned eariler it might be the engine mounts, sounds like work regardless. Keep us updated. Hope you and family are doing ok health wise, stay safe. Terry
  13. Squar

Squar Jim

Oddometer:
    Hi ya Terry, lads and lassies, thanks for your concerns and wishes coming near the eve of my 83rd, time will I hope, reveal the real problem with the Helix, I doubt there will be much riding time this year but hopes are high for the next.... assuming I can remain Covid free.

Bless you all and KEEP SAFE ya all!

Jim
  14. bmwloco

bmwloco Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just checking in to say "hi". Healthy and happy here. The Aprilia Scarabeo marches on, day in day out. Oh, a spark plug every 9 to 12 months, MOTUL 2 stroke oil, and 93 Octane no alcohol fuel probably helps a lot. Pirelli's are looking a little lean, but 2 new ones are hanging on the wall... onward!
    Dan V. likes this.
  15. Squar

Squar Jim

Oddometer:
    BMWLoco Hi, nice to see you again, that Scarabeo looks to be going well, look after yourself and your family.

Jim
  16. bmwloco

bmwloco Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not bartending at the moment, but checking folks at the door to make sure masks are worn and hand sanitizer is provided. Happily, they are paying me through all this, though the bar can't open. SWMBO is a Nurse Practitioner for the local Heart Group. Like I tell folks, you don't want to go where she works... :)
    Squar likes this.
  17. Squar

Squar Jim

Oddometer:
    Hi guys &Galls, - something different this time - but it concerns riders of Helix machines.....

Does any Helix Rider or owner want a 1/18 scale model of the scoot? Why? I’ve located a company who are able to produce such a model, - won’t be cheap I’m fairly sure but a lovely model nevertheless, the company is in UK and I’m talking with them on the subject - possibly loaning them my own Helix to amass construction data from; the company make models of mainly ships some measuring several feel in length that really have the “WOW” factor built in that I could not possibly afford to buy!
    I’m NOT LOOKING FOR MONEY and won’t take any, I’m kind of surveying the possible market knowing that many folk have been after one for years that until now have been totally unobtainable.

Anyone interested can PM me with some kind of contact address which please note I am not collecting for any other purpose and will not disclose.
    Then as more details become available I can let folks know. I have to state that at the moment this is an exploratory exercise but keep you posted I will.

Jim