The Honda Aero 125 Thread

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by RedArrow, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Squar

Squar Jim

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys, Terry, Steve, Dan, and all you Galls, I’m pleased you’re all keeping well and thanks for your thoughts on my welfare. This Lockdown is not going to be good for anyone - including many businesses a lot of whom are already in financial difficulties. On the last Lockdown I ordered a food parcel from a large superstore which did not get delivered, it took over two months to get my money back. The only option I see is to go get it one’s self and then sit at home and mope! It’s also not a good time to try selling a bike because so many folk have become unemployed just day-to -day ‘living’ has become a bigger challenge without expenditure on trivialities like bikes. To make matters worse the current spate of hurricanes are creating so much havoc and devastation with loss of lives and property that trying to see through it all is so difficult. I’m sure we all pray for it to end so as to be able to resume something like our ‘normal’ lives.

Like I always say.... Keep yourselves Safe, and keep an eye on the weather.

Jim
  2. CMS

CMS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jim, so sorry to hear . We too, are being warned of a big surge, (virus) thru the Holidays. Weather has also played a part in our lives ,
    and even forest fires on the West Coast. Not a good year, to say the least. Were concentrating on family,and safety ( virus,weather , every day life)
    What happen to looking forward to and enjoying a good scoot or bike ride. Hope we all can get thru this and back to normal ,as we know it. Hope your Fire Service retires and current members can assist you ,when needed. Being totally shut down makes everything very difficult. Stay safe and carefull. Terry
  3. Squar

Squar Jim

Oddometer:
    Hi Terry, Most of my fire service associates have retired a few years ago now, I worked in London during my service but am now retired in the county of Norfolk - in the East of England’s countryside and don’t get associated with the service anymore as I’m well ‘out of area’ - it’s a past life for the most part enjoyable and leave it at that. Spoken to my repair man today who says in his opinion the Helix vibes are being caused by the worn out engine hangar and not worn crankshaft bearings, he’s replacing the hangar from parts supplied and will test run the bike again on completion, he’s also fitted my new HAGON shocks back and front, can’t wait to see the progress but with LOCKDOWN until December 2nd in two days time it’ll be a while.

Jim
    Dan V. likes this.
  4. CMS

CMS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Jim, didn't realize you live that far away , from the guys. Glad to hear good news, on the scoot. That could save a sum of money, if the hangers are at fault. Also, with all new shocks, that should make for a smooth ride. Dec 2 is only a month away, hope things change by then and you can open up again. We're being warned for more virus problems here in the US also . I'm getting a few rides in, with some warmer weather, that's showed up this week. Those will be few and far between, as winter progresses. Keep us all informed, as we all go thru these crazy times. Terry
  5. Squar

Squar Jim

Oddometer:
    B8BBF000-07C2-44B5-B5AB-66734E4DA52A.jpeg Hi Guys and Gals - yesterday wasn’t my birthday but may well have been because t’was the day I got my Helix back from my repairer; I’ve mentioned the symptoms previously but suffice to say that the problem was NOT the crankshaft but was the engine hanger unit being well worn, this was replaced by a new one I bought a while ago from eBay together with new HAGON Shock absorbers back and front as well as a few other minor items.
    On collecting the bike the difference was/ is amazing, beautifully smooth and vibration free, the ride home was only a short one but sufficient to note the massive difference, cost of repairs was pleasingly less than half of what I expected at just over £400 so I’m well pleased.
    A similar improvement in my health would not go amiss to enable me to better enjoy riding next year if we can get rid of this cursed Covid thing for which I understand new antibiotics may soon be available. As the Fall becomes more evident I can’t see my bikes coming out of the garage for a while and with Covid movement restrictions currently in place I’m also unlikely to move much away from the house.
    We have had so much rain here over in the last 3 months that the much needed garden maintenance has taken a back seat for fear of my machinery getting bogged down in mud that was previously a reasonable looking lawn.
    My other interests in model railways, live steam models and the like have all been affected by the Covid lockdowns preventing appearances at now non existent model shows so we are kind of locked in, - still, we’ve got some good DVD’s to watch that’ll take us a while.

Keep ya chins up Lads & Lassies,
    Jim
  6. CMS

CMS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Jim, so glad to hear the good news on the Helix, an early Birthday present, yea. We too, are like you, the virus has stepped up and so have the restrictions. With the Holiday season coming forth it's going to be difficult for all. We're not in mandatory closures as yet , but we do have strong recommendations on all the normal procedures. We can still eat in at restaurants ( limited capacity ) and the Bars have to stop serving at 10:00 pm
    They want limited attendance at all family get togethers , thruout out the Holidays. That will be the hard one. Anyway, we still do need to fight this virus and hopefully, the new vaccine will be successful . Hang in there , were all in this together.
  7. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    Thinking about you @Squar and hope you and your lady are doing well.
  8. Squar

Squar Jim

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys & Galls, Damurph, The Pfizer vaccine has at last come to UK, dear wife and I have been called to our surgery tomorrow for our first jab, the next should be 21 days later so we’ll continue hoping.... with a new strain of Covid having been announced today most of UK is expected to be in high lockdown over the next few weeks including Christmas, speaking personally we both love quiet holidays so it won’t matter much to us as we’re both over eighty.

A chance to ride again would be wonderful for us both especially now that we’ve got the Helix back, about the only job I want to do on it is to fit a high level LED brake light to the rear to avoid getting ‘rear-ended’ by a short sighted clown even though I don’t ride much in the dark these days.

Look after yourselves ya all and have the best Christmas you can....

Jim
  9. CMS

CMS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Jim, good news for you both, on the Pfizer vaccine, it"s here in the US now as of today. Your Helix looks so good in the pictue , Merry Christmas to you both and hopefully, a much Happier New Year for all. Terry
  10. CMS

CMS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Jim , our news here states that 78 % of England is tier 4 , that's a lot of people, if the information is accurate , Reguardless, I hope you both have received your vaccinations and are weathering this latest storm. Hang in there , the Helix scoot awaits you, for a ride, asap. Terry
  11. Squar

Squar Jim

Oddometer:
    Hi Terry, Hi All Guys and Galls, 78% of UK in tier 4 - could actually be higher but yes we are in Lockdown as from early this morning, Catherine and I had our first Covid injections a week ago and are due our 2nd injection on 5th January, we’ve had no after effects directly related to the injection although we both are not up to our best health wise.
    Certainly look forward to riding the Helix again once (if) all this mess clears up although I now doubt whether dear wife will participate with me, dementure is NOT a good word but sad to say signs are becoming apparent and I keep praying for it to dissapear. We awoke this morning to the whitest frost I’ve seen in 2020 with O.A.T. showing in the car of - 1C, left engine running to defrost so that we can go out to buy food.

Festivities for the period have never been our thing - always preferring to stay in the comfort of home so we won’t miss a thing and I hope that folk generally recognise the potentially dire situation the world is currently in and do likewise.
    We have to keep all our chins up and hope for a better tomorrow - whenever that may be.

All the Best for the New Year Guys and Galls.

Jim
  12. CMS

CMS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Mr and Ms Jim , we just returned from a quick dinner . We really didn't know if we could find anything open or even get in if they were . Worked out ok they were open. ( masks and speration and limited amount of customers) Everything closes at 10:00 pm tonight , very different New Years. The World is going into a New Year in a matter of hours, I sincerely hope it will be better than the last. My thoughts are with you both in the New Year, wishing good health and a quick return to the normal times we all desire. Terry
  13. Squar

Squar Jim

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys and Galls, Terry.
    Catherine and I send you all Very best Greetings for The New Year, lets hope it will be better than the last and that we each manage to achieve our individual aims and ambitions.

Bye the bye if you are seeing an advert for adjustable glasses - they don’t work! They’re NOT British and have cost me a lot of money to find out!
    Be careful - Always.

Jim
  14. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Jim, hope you are doing well, and had a merry Christmas and are having a good New Year. The person who usually hosts Christmas dinner (my former sister in law and her husband) decided not to do it this year. My former in laws, who are in their mid '70s, also decided they wanted to stay at home. So my 2 daughters, ex wife, son in law, his dad, and me had Christmas at my oldest daughters house. It went well, and it was nice to have a quiet Christmas for once, not the noisy nightmare that happens when 30+ people show up.

I have not been able to eat in a restaurant or even a fast food place since late March last year. I have been living on food from fast food drive thrus, Little Caesars pizza, where you just run in, grab a ready made pizza, and leave, food ordered from Amazon, and bought at a local convenience store, again where you can just run in, grab something, and leave. I'm not eating any more, but my food bill has gone up about 30% because I have to pay more for it than at a grocery store. Two of my favorite local restaurants have gone out of business. Hundreds, if not thousands of Phoenix area restaurants and bars have gone out of business during the last 9 months, leaving only the large chain places. It's a disaster. Small family owned places that had been there for decades gone forever.

Sadly I do not have much hope for the new year. Our political situation is a nightmare, and even with the vaccine they are now saying it will take over a year before things can possibly get back to normal, if they EVER do. My oldest daughter is having a baby in about 5 months, my first grandchild, and I should be super happy about it. But all I can think of is how tragic it will be to have a child born into this horrible situation, and what kind of life they can have.

Take care Jim and everyone

Jerry
  15. Squar

Squar Jim

Oddometer:
    Hi Jerry, Guys & Galls, Christmas for us has been very quiet as now having been placed in our governments Tier 4, currently the highest Covid protection group - which currently closes all non- food shops and general amenities (excluding schools) for the next few weeks - although school heads are fighting to revert to on-line tuition to further reduce Covid infections, But we await governments muted plans to increase protection levels even higher to help stem the latest and faster spreading version of the virus. Quite a number of our smaller shops have gone out of business forever as a result of virus restrictions as has our recently built (15 years ago) pub which has also closed down forever! With Britain having finally departed from EU on 31/12/20 there are lots of further changes that are to take place affecting our lives even further in the coming months.

We look forward to the day you Jerry become a Grandfather for the first time, it will I’m sure be an occasion for a great celebration although as you say the world that the child grows up in appears to have changed for the worst.

I’ve always been a fan of shaft driven bikes, at one time in the sixties I had a 192cc Velocette affectionately known as a ‘Noddy Bike’ because although they could just manage 45mph they were almost silent and were used by our Police - (early Stealth bike fitted with Police radio) the bike’s advantage being that one could ride above speed limits without drawing attention, later for me came the 1952 Sunbeam S8, another shaft driven bike but of 479cc’s, certainly not fast by any modern standards but still able to plod along at 50 - 60mph in relative quietness compared to most other bikes of the time, ‘‘twas generally referred to as the Gentleman’s machine due to its somewhat stately presence; I’ve had it for over 50 years now and rode it to work daily when in the fire service, however although it is still roadworthy and taxed I can’t (daren’t) ride it because of its weight which is incompatible with my medical condition - however may cage was recently rattled by another shaft drive bike from the Honda stable - a CX500 V twin in rather nice condition - in Red of course! Probably similar in weight to the Sunbeam but of 1978 vintage which allows it to be taxed Free of Charge as a Vintage machine ——— Oh - Ha
    Dreams! ......... but watch this space...........!

Look after yourselves Guys & Galls - and keep away from Covid.

Jim

1AED455C-1F02-488A-AF73-5ACDECE72B72.png
    Rusty J likes this.
  16. bmwloco

bmwloco Long timer

Oddometer:
    Still riding the Scarabeo back and forth; nearly time for new tires. Hanging in the garage. Maybe this spring. Still manning the door, making sure masks are worn and hands are sanitized. Got called every name in the book, recently, by a woman who would not raise her mask above her nose.

It takes all kinds of monkeys I guess.

Bride got her first shot two weeks ago; looks like she'll get her second this week. She's front line health care, critical level.

Wear your masks and sanitize.
    Rusty J likes this.
  17. Glenn247

Glenn247 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thought I would ask this question here...

I'm looking at two Honda Aero 80s each in great shape with less than 100 miles on them...

The seller is asking 2500 bucks for the pair, but I would have to cover cross-country shipping, so they would probably end up costing me around 3000 bucks...

I plan for my daughter and I to actually ride them btw...

Any advice about making this purchase, or not?
  18. Squar

Squar Jim

Oddometer:
    Glen, - I still have my Aero 80 known as the Lead 80 over here but it’s in need of a replacement engine that’s been waiting for the last 20 years, I have the engine but now I have to summon up the will to fit it. The original engine when the bike was new covered a little over 12,000 miles with no trouble at all, in fact a Super little bike, when its engine bust (around 1995) I had it taken to a Honda main dealer for major repairs, four weeks later I got the bike back and covered some 35 miles on its return journey home where it completely bust again after huge expense, it still sits in my garage now just awaiting some effort on my part, I kind of lost all faith in genuine Honda Repairers.
    The bike was new when I bought it, I don’t know of any further ‘high mileage’ trouble free users so can’t advise on prices but while my bike ran it was very good and very reliable.

Jim
  19. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Jim. I have always been a fan of shaft drive bikes, and have had several. My current Kawasaki Vulcan 750 is shaft drive, and it's my third one. I also had a Yamaha Virago, 2 Goldwings, and a 1982 Honda Silverwing, which used the same engine/drivetrain as the CX500. It was called the GL500. They are clean, very low maintenance, weatherproof, and never wear out. After a shaft I prefer a chain. My first experience with a belt drive was my '06 Harley Sportster, and it is a nightmare to deal with. I spent 3 days trying to adjust the belt and keep the rear wheel aligned. Later a guy from a local Harley shop told me they always use 2 guys for that.

As far as the virus thing, they make a big deal about how many people have died from it (and make no mistake it IS a big deal) but they don't mention the millions of people who have had their lives ruined by it and the restrictions because of it. Jobs lost, small businesses going out of business, some of them run by third or forth generation family members, people who have lost their homes because of it, kids who's lives have been permanently damaged because they can't go to school and socialize with other kids. I don't think there is a single person in the country that has not been negatively impacted by this thing. I'm actually one of the lucky ones, I'm disabled/retired, and my house is paid for. My kids are grown, my son in law still has his job, and hopefully by the time my grandchild is old enough to go to school this will be over. But it will never, ever be the same again. Most of the small businesses will be gone, and the big businesses will be even bigger. Places like Walmart and Amazon are making HUGE profits off this.

Hang in there and stay safe as possible

Jerry
  20. Squar

Squar Jim

Oddometer:
    Hi Jerry, Guys & Galls, Back in my service days I had a colleague who had a CX500, he travelled some 80 miles per day (and night) to get to work, at the time I was riding the Sunbeam and never took much notice of the bike - but took occasional admiring glances, he bought it new and was completely reliable. Recent research has shown me of its relationship with the GL500..... chains are ok - (until they wrap themselves around the rear sprocket) which happened to a friend before I towed him home with my bike.

Yes, this Covid virus is responsible for more disruption to lives, businesses, property et al than most of the wars in my memory, like you my home is paid for, I’m retired and with parents now passed on I’m a kind of ‘Lone Ranger’ (except for dear wife) but my heart goes out to all those so badly affected by this virus, the saddened look on their faces through not knowing what the future may bring is heartbreaking.

From tonight our government has placed pretty well the whole country in complete lockdown until end of February at least, (the 2nd since last March) exceptions remain for food shopping in local area, medical Carers and hospital attendance by appointment, A & E is pretty well clogged up with many patients spending hours (we are told) waiting in queuing Ambulances at hospitals.

Let’s all try to look on the bright side - even if that is only a high-speed train coming towards us!

Take CARE all of you,

Jim