The Honda CB500X Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by GsVs, May 2, 2014.

1. antwon412

antwon412 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice cases. I could use a set of handuards myself.
  2. DaFoole

DaFoole Well Marbled... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've always had hard cases (mostly Jessie's which are snugged up against the bike). The Givi's stick out a fair amount and are wider than the bars. I'm thinking about trialing some soft luggage for this bike but need to spend a few thousand miles on it before I consider doing anything else.
  3. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have had both the hard cases and soft saddle bags in the past.
    They each have their pluses and minuses .
    I think it really depends on budget and probable uses.
    The soft bags style with the roll tops seem to be very popular lately , you do have to invest a bit in the mounting hardware though.
    None of them seem to be easily movable from one bike to the other if you change brand of bike .
    Lot's of other things to be considered $$$$$$
    Flyin' Monkeys and DaFoole like this.
  4. Piscoot

Piscoot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My Mosko Moto R40 can easily be moved from bike to bike in minutes. There’s only 4 straps and the backing of the bags is stiff not requiring any racks.
    Adjustments.jpg
    pm9654, Bors, DandyDoug and 1 other person like this.
  5. antwon412

antwon412 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Went a little jaunt over the weekend. Through Lassen National Par and Plumas National forest.

D4266E52-FD9D-4AC9-A51B-321E4BAEC35E.jpeg FFC6B8FC-3E38-4C50-8148-862D709E0476.jpeg 0A9A38A9-AD04-499E-A940-CBD500CBE459.jpeg 4403CA97-0C94-4936-8E8E-B5580B3A9B43.jpeg
    TCNG, Bors, William42 and 4 others like this.
  6. Rainville

Rainville n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi !

Is this the 40 or the 80? I was looking into the 80 for my future CB500 but if this is the 40, it does look already big enough, not sure the 80 would fit nicely. Might be way too big for the CB?

What do you think would be best for a RTW trip. is the 40 enough with a big enough duffle on top?

Cheers!
    DandyDoug likes this.
  7. fastnlight

fastnlight Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    chris4652009, Bors, Hannda and 2 others like this.
  8. boardforever

boardforever Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  9. Piscoot

Piscoot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is the 40 with a stinger 22 on top. I think it’s very doable for weekend trips or longer depending on needs! You can stack the stinger 8 (what comes with the 40) as well and also add mole 2 L aux pockets as well.
    Hannda likes this.
  10. AllBlackPearl

AllBlackPearl Alpoholic

Oddometer:
    Hope you don't my asking - did you do the whole loop from Calais back to the coast and then up to Belgium, like on the map below? If so, do you possibly have some more photos and/or info? I'm planning to do this bit (not back up to Belgium but further South, until Doullens) in a couple of weeks on a fully loaded AT.

Much appreciated!! :) Capture.JPG
  11. Neil_The_Wheel

Neil_The_Wheel Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, the Africa Twin asks the CB500X, "Hey, nice windscreen... where did you get it?" @JMo (& piglet)

IMG_20200707_081151712_HDR (1).jpg
    TCNG, DandyDoug, OneAUout and 3 others like this.
  12. TCNG

TCNG Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Figured I should take advantage while I still live kinda-sorta nearby and headed for a quick overnight to ride some of the squiggly lines on Google Maps in North GA / TN / NC. Stayed strictly on pavement since I was solo and didn't tell anyone I was headed there...will save that exploration for another trip. Last time I rode this area was on my '13 X a few years ago, so I was curious to see if my '19 would feel any different.
    tempsnip.png

Obligatory picture from the Dragon -

2988624.jpg

And a picture along the Cherohala the next morning -

IMG_20200718_084616.jpg

The X did great and is still showing an average of 68.4mpg. Pretty dang good for zipping around the mountains and 80mph+ on a few highway stretches to and from.

My only complaint from my first longer trip on this bike...the seat. I'm tall and not a light guy, I was feeling some serious rear end discomfort after a few hours each day. Probably wouldn't have been as bad if I stopped for breaks more often but a seat improvement is definitely on the list if I keep this bike for a while.
    chris4652009, DandyDoug and Hannda like this.
  13. Jeffo

Jeffo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agree about the seat, it really is a numb arse producer. Made worse as the contour keeps you from moving around.
    I shall get mine modded at some point with different foam and made higher and flatter.
    TCNG likes this.
  14. Bigshot

Bigshot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I took matters into my own hands for my 15’ as the seat made me feel like I was in a sport bike posture. I was going to try the seat concepts tall anyway so I figured I might as well give it a try. So I got out the belt sander and did my best to make the seat flat. If you compare the 2019 to the previous models, it looks like Honda listened and change the seat. I did not add any additional foam but I am using an air hawk and sheepskin on top of that. What a Huge difference this combination makes because I can ride all day without discomfort.

E1D5800C-F9AC-4DF4-AAB3-3E2855E9A2BD.jpeg
    Hannda likes this.
  15. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am interested to know about the hard box on your machine.
    What is it ?
    The size ?
    What kind of a rear carrier or mounting plate ?
    Thanks Doug
  16. Neil_The_Wheel

Oddometer:
    If you have enough inseam that you don't mind a 2" taller saddle, I had the Seat Concepts Rally seat on my CB500X and it was both more comfortable and increased the Seat to peg distance so expanded the knee angle a bit. Something to consider.
    Piscoot likes this.
  17. boardforever

boardforever Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    What is your inseam? I have been debating between the SC comfort and rally seats on my bike.
  18. TCNG

TCNG Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I believe it was the Apache 3800, a cheap Pelican knockoff from Harbor Freight. The rack is Givi and I decided to forgo the mounting plate - box is mounted directly to the racks. I wouldn't load it down with a ton of weight but the box is small enough where you'd be hard pressed to overload it I think. Perfect for around town/day rides.

Definitely agree. I'm a 34" inseam, I had the SC Rally seat on my '13X & combined with Motowerk lowering pegs I almost felt like I was standing up riding that thing my legs were so straight. :lol3 Should've never sold it, I'm just doing all the same mods on the new one!
    DandyDoug, Hannda and boardforever like this.
  19. mcpenner

mcpenner mcpenner

Oddometer:
    Where I ride:
    [​IMG]
  20. Neil_The_Wheel

Oddometer:
    Hey Boardforever, too bad that you couldn't join us for the ride West from Bend recently.

With SC Rally seat on my CB it put the saddle height up around 34". It doesn't really matter my inseam: I am comfortable even riding bikes with a 36" saddle height and I just side saddle to a stop. I don't need to flat foot stops but a lot of riders are not comfortable with a 34" saddle height so that is the better question before you go for the SC Rally saddle.