The Honda CB500X Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by GsVs, May 2, 2014.

1. danceswithcages

danceswithcages Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's funny... I got my GL Coyote yesterday lol
    Seems to hold more than my Wolf bags too.
    0713192323a~2.jpg

Attached Files:

wncstrada and OneAUout like this.
  2. Volute

Volute Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Went for a ride from Sydney to Canberra via the coast yesterday and then back up inland via Jenolan caves over the mountains today.

Here is my stock 2014 CB500X looking a bit dirty after riding through the Gurnang state forest on dirt/gravel roads. I was surprised how well it handled them, especially as I don't have knobbies yet.
    20190714_124729.jpg

There was even a bit of snow up in the blue mountains. I initially put my rain suit on as it looked like it was raining up ahead in the mountains (was probably the snow!) and then kept it on to retain some extra heat and fight the wind which was strong and freezing. Photo curtesy of a guy driving into the blue mountains national park at the same time I realised I turned the wrong way...
    20190714_123148.jpg
    MFS, Cruz, jconli1 and 1 other person like this.
  3. hawkgt

hawkgt Daydreaming

Oddometer:
  4. potski

potski Wiley Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Some great photos here; I SO like these bikes. Closest I've seen to my favourite machine in the World the Honda Transalp. If Honda tweeked it up to Transalp spec I'd be having one in the bike shed. Cheers Potski
  5. Bigshot

Bigshot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. BioStrom

BioStrom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    F557AB0A-D7A1-4FDD-BC78-C596AD80DF7F.jpeg My wife’s new 2019 CB500X. Had the pleasure of riding it halfway home from Virginia last Friday. Nice bike and very different feel from my 2012 DL650 Vstrom.
    Bors, PNW Buttercup and William42 like this.
  7. BarryB

BarryB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Please compare. I’m currently interested in both.
  8. danster302

danster302 n00b

Oddometer:
    @Bigshot, what auxiliary lights are those?
  9. Johnytuono

Johnytuono Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My Half-rica Twin

upload_2019-7-31_13-33-11.jpeg
    richard310, Bors, Honda-50 and 10 others like this.
  10. BioStrom

BioStrom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I feel like I would need additional saddle time to make a meaningful comparison, but my initial impressions are as follows. The CB is much more manageable in slow speed or foot on ground maneuvers though is noticeably more affected by cross winds at speed than the DL. Suspension on my DL is much more plush and forgiving, partially attributable to a $1000+ upgrade from Cogent Dynamics on my personal bike, but the wife also noted that when she hit a particularly rough railroad crossing it bumped her up in the air off the seat, something her previous bike, an unmodified DL 650, never did. This purchase had the intent of improving her confidence and fun factor as the DL was just a little too much weight for her 125# frame (even lowered 1”) and so far it seems to have worked.

Air management is not as effective on the CB, but our DL’s are/were Adventure models with the upper laminar type lip that made for a perfect calm behind it. The 2019 CB though is certainly not bad in this respect and much better than previous models I test rode. I think the CB is more fun to ride, but for long hauls, my mid 50’s body would prefer the comfort of the Vstrom, again that is partially due to modifications such as a Terry Adcox seat. Engine smoothness is similar but since the CB is in the break in period, I can’t fairly compare power other than the DL is more torquey at lower rpm’s though the CB is more than adequate.

I won’t hi jack the picture thread any longer but it would be hard to go wrong either way. I suggest test riding both to see which suits you and your needs better. I would likely be happy with either after appropriate farkles.
    Manray likes this.
  11. Bigshot

Bigshot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. danster302

danster302 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks Bigshot
  13. RimBenty

RimBenty Bender of Rims

Oddometer:
  14. Bigshot

Bigshot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They sure look similar. Ha, I just ordered a pair of amber wide angle filters yesterday. I'm hoping the yellow lights will make me more visible. They sure make a big difference when cagers notice me at a road crossing.

Biostorm, in my opinion you are not hijacking anything but sharing information and opinions that will help out the community.
  15. Homer GSA

Homer GSA R1200GSA 2008

Oddometer:
    Hi ThirtyOne

Can you tell me what brand the bags are on the side of the tank?

More photos?

cheers

H
  16. Homer GSA

Homer GSA R1200GSA 2008

Oddometer:
    New baby....

IMG_2444.jpg
    Bors, MNimum, William42 and 2 others like this.
  17. Homer GSA

Homer GSA R1200GSA 2008

Oddometer:
    Next to its big brother;

IMG_2449.jpg
    Bors, OneAUout, Singlespeed92 and 2 others like this.
  18. Johnytuono

Johnytuono Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Doesn't look that much smaller does it...what model BMW is it please ?
  19. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    It's got the same size wheels and needs to fit a 6' human... however, the CB appears to be half the width of the GSA tank* ;o)

Jx

*edit. I mean of course the fuel tank of the GSA, not that the GSA itself is a tank...

...or do I? ;o)
  20. Homer GSA

Homer GSA R1200GSA 2008

Oddometer:
    It’s a 2008 GS Adventure with 365’000 kms on it. Fantastic bike.

Looks are a bit deceiving. The GS is much much bigger. Will get some shots outside :)