The Honda Monkey thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Kommando, Jun 14, 2018.

1. T Monkey

T Monkey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello.

Have a deposit on a yellow one. Supposedly first in line for that color at the local dealership.

Have had scooters, but this will be my first motorcycle. Took the BRC, and plenty of back country roads around here to ride on, and get used to the differences.
    Mark4931 and ride2little like this.
  2. RichardU

RichardU Let's Ride

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the forum T Monkey.
    T Monkey likes this.
  3. Baggi'tard

Baggi'tard If I don't answer I'm ridin' or shootin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    Look at that, a brand new ADVrider (1 post)! Welcome to ADV. Maybe change your location to a city/state and you might be able to find more local riders and future Monkey owners
    T Monkey likes this.
  4. RichardU

RichardU Let's Ride

Oddometer:
    Baggi'tard, just noticed your location. I hope you post videos of your Monkey(s) on Witt Road.
  5. Baggi'tard

Oddometer:
    No problem. They won't be going through the creek tho..
  6. T Monkey

T Monkey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Just changed the location.
  7. T Monkey

T Monkey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    YouTube of someone getting to test it out in Europe.

8. Baggi'tard

Oddometer:
    Exactly what I expected. I don't think I've seen a review video where a guy was just giggling the whole way through.
    Fallacy likes this.
  9. ride2little

ride2little Riding Like the Wind

Oddometer:
    I just found this thread.
    YES, I dropped a deposit down in a red Monkey a couple of weeks ago. ETA, September...they say.
    Cool looking little unit and a bit more usable than the originals. I'm pretty excited.
    Baggi'tard, T Monkey and Night_Wolf like this.
  10. Baggi'tard

Oddometer:
    Which dealer told you Sept? I hope so. I'm getting mine at the biggest Honda dealer in the US (Chattanooga) and they were told October at first, and they'll get some first. But since they are already making and shipping around the world, wouldn't think it should take so long huh?
  11. ride2little

Oddometer:
    Cool Springs Powersports in Franklin TN. They actually said Sept/Oct. But they weren’t sure and didn’t really commit to when.
    They’re getting 4. Two red and two yellow. Two of them already spoken for. (Mine and a yellow.)
    So we’ll see.
  12. Baggi'tard

Oddometer:
    Here's an open invite if you want to come over and do some forest road cruising in the Cherokee NF.. Already planning at least one day of March Monkey Madness next year. LOL.
    ride2little likes this.
  13. RichardU

RichardU Let's Ride

Oddometer:
    Did they give you a good deal?

That video was amazing and made me want to buy two!
  14. ride2little

Oddometer:
    IN! I am over that way some. On both my F800GS and (last couple of times) the Beta. I either participate in the MMM event, or stay at Cherohala Mountain Trails Campground (Wayne's place). Great riding of all kinds in very direction. Been going to MMM for quite a few years now. The Monkey would be perfect @ that event.
  15. ride2little

Oddometer:
    Good deal? Haha! Full retail commitment here... As popularity grows, I can envision retail+, much like the Grom did early-on.
  16. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a 2014 Grom and love it and have a deposit down on a new Super Cub 125. I am trying hard not to want a new Monkey as well but slowly caving in. Reminds me of what I learned on back in the mid 70's!

Really curious what changes they made to the engine. In a press release for the Super Cub 125 they mentioned some tweaks and refinements they made to the engine over the Grom? The review video above mentioned it felt like it had a bit more power. Its doubtful they could make any real big changes but whatever they did sounds positive. The Super Cub 125 was advertised as getting 150 MPG. I can get about 130 MPG on my Grom at times. It literally cost pennies to operate. The stature of the Monkey 125 looks a tiny bit smaller then the Grom. Between whatever potential refinements Honda made to the engine and the smaller size and likely weight the Monkey 125 might even get better fuel economy.

Probably wait for the 2nd or 3rd batch release from Honda before getting a Monkey but I think its inevitable that I eventually will!
  17. RichardU

RichardU Let's Ride

Oddometer:
    I think seat height is actually slightly higher than the Grom.
  18. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah I looked it up and you are correct. The Monkey seat is about a half inch taller. Wheel base however is 2 inches less then a Grom so that is why it looks a little smaller. Interestingly weight on the Monkey is 5 lbs more over the Grom and that surprised me. Must have a few more metal pieces on it vs the Grom!

I actually find my Grom to be rather comfortable. In fact it ends up being more comfortable then some much larger bikes in my fleet. Only thing is you really don't get much respect out there. Its almost hilarious as cars will pass you not knowing you can go 50 mph as well. Then those same cars end up slowing you down in the turns. Also most biker's don't waive back and the BMW and Ducati crowds give you a stupid look. I love it!
  19. RideAbout

RideAbout Mentally Retired

Oddometer:
    A yellow one because that was my first bike in 68'.
    Bitingdog and T Monkey like this.
  20. Jeepster360

Jeepster360 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well I saw the above Monkey video yesterday. I have a 94 ct70 with the plastic front fender. It is an awesome little bike. I also have a 1970 gold one that needs some help but runs ok. Actually i bought a 125 lifan to stuff into the 94 a couple yrs ago but never did it.

The new monkey bike looks great. The larger wheels and fuel inj. 125 make it a much more useful adult bike for sure. Just bought a BMW 310gs in February so convincing the wife will be hard to do. Might put the 70 up for sale. I really want this new monkey bike. The 125 motor makes it for me. The cost not so much.

John
    T Monkey and Night_Wolf like this.