The Honda Monkey thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Kommando, Jun 14, 2018.

1. 3crows

3crows n00b

Oddometer:
    I am a serious ATGATT rider, always have been, dirt or street, but I am also a serious cyclist, again always have been and I can run along nearly as fast on my bicycles as I do on my Monkey. On my bicycle since I rarely see the high side of 30 MPH, I feel fine in helmet, gloves, nobody wears kevlar leathers on a bicycle or a Shoei RF1200. So, my feeling is I am somewhat less compelled to fully gear up on the Monkey settling for an open face helmet, gloves, jeans and sturdy shoes since my Monkey cruising speeds are 30 to 40 MPH if that and I do not mix it up in traffic. I guess if I were to do urban street battle on the Monkey then I would fully gear up but I would probably choose an entirely different weapon, like my Triumph 675R.

I have had some scuffs and scrapes and dislocated shoulders from various motorcycles but no more so than bicycles and was nearly killed (yes indeed) when two pit bull dogs attacked me on my bicycle. I went down around 30 MPH, cracked hip, broken femur, dislocated shoulder, concussion, road rash and wound up having a stroke. Not sure, quite doubtful that any of the motorcycle specific gear I wear, street or dirt, would have prevented the broken femur, maybe the cracked hip and road rash.
  2. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    So I didn't even know this thread existed in the Thumper section........
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  4. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    And the Grom is in Beasts :hide; go figure :baldy
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  5. OConnor

OConnor Bad juju

Oddometer:
    That was pretty amazing for what are essentially a couple play bikes.

SmittyBlackstone and Night_Wolf like this.
  6. Edhirschmugl

Edhirschmugl n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi All, Just here to contribute to the Monkey Business!

00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20190601195946009.jpg
  7. Ride1st

Ride1st Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You're going to fit right in!
    Chillis and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  8. Baggi'tard

Baggi'tard If I don't answer I'm ridin' or shootin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    Checked valves today, just cuz. Yellow bike had slightly loose intake at .005 (1100 mi), red had slightly tight at a very tight .004 (620 mi). Both exhausts right on at .007. Stupid easy job once you take off airbox, which requires three bolts, two hoses, one electrical connector and the clamp for the intake snorkel. Takes s few minutes, easy.

Lots of room and the right tools make the job easier.

IMG_7368.jpg

Is this what you call “Honda build quality”? What a sloppy job of both sealing and designing two parts that don’t seal without a wad of gunk. Found one more screw (snorkel clamp) that was so stupid tight I had to damage it to get it loose. Replaced with a nice stainless one. Too many overtorqued fasteners on these things.

IMG_7365.jpg
  9. cogitate

cogitate What Marcellus Wallace Looks Like

Oddometer:
  10. Baggi'tard

Oddometer:
    Son and I took the Monkeys out for a nice 4 hour ride yesterday.

IMG_7375.JPG
  11. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    I am shocked :eek2 wonder why the Grom is so far off :hmmmmm
  12. Baggi'tard

Oddometer:
    100 mile loop out scouting the TWRA leased dove hunt fields.

IMG_7389.JPG
  13. bajasam

bajasam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those are fun lookin little bikes, Think I'm gonna wait til GPX releases their 1200 buck Chinese version though as Honda is really proud on their price.
    SmittyBlackstone and Anachronism like this.
  14. Baggi'tard

Oddometer:
    Go for it! or just take 12 $100 bills and throw them out the car window, same thing. You'll get no "value" out of it. At least any time frame in the future I can sell a Honda. Restored/original Honda's from the 60s and 70s are worth 10-20x what they cost originally. People will always be interested in the Honda, good luck with your Chinese knockoff/ripoff.
  15. bajasam

bajasam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ten years ago that argument would of held water, most likely your little 125cc engine was bought from a china company by honda. The gpx and pitster bikes have more than proven themselves to be competitive with ktm,honda etc, at half the cost. your getting stuck in the past just like folks did with japan in the 60-70's, I remember peeps preaching the same story about "those cheapass jap bikes" in 1967.
  16. OConnor

OConnor Bad juju

Oddometer:
    I believe we are currently somewhere in the middle. Chinese bikes are much better than they were, enough so that I have started looking at the GPX models, but resale still sucks.
  17. bajasam

bajasam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thats true, some brands such as GPX have much better reputations than others but price does to, but their still substantially cheaper.
  18. Baggi'tard

Oddometer:
    Installed Mitas MC19 tires. The rubber is more compliant than the stock tires, carcass seems similar, definitely larger and more open siping. They remind me of the Pirelli Scorpion MT90 tires I used on my Baghira. A great 70/30 tire. One thing I wanted was 80 series tires to hopefully keep the handling as all the other knobby 50/50 tires seem to be 70 series. I did have the chance to ride another Monkey with 70 series 50/50 tires and the steering was noticeably slower and took more effort (not saying it was bad, just noticeable between the two bikes). Should be able to give a ride/handling review this weekend. :ricky

IMG_7391.JPG
  19. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    So are these a 50/50 tire or a 70/30 tire? Wonder how many miles from a set of these?
  20. bajasam

bajasam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The monkey is fun and cute but all the concern over tire choice is hilarious.Kinda like arguing over which lawn mower tires offer better performance on the ole john deere mower, it's just a 40mph mini-bike,most any vespa scooter tire will be just fine.