The Honda Monkey thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Kommando, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Baggi'tard

Baggi'tard If I don't answer I'm ridin' or shootin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    At Southern Honda they charge zero fees, so yes for a brand new model just hitting floor it will be retail, but plus state sales tax only.

We had a guest not long ago that flew down from a NE state, as they saved him over $4000 on s Gold Wing. When I was down there putting deposit on Monkeys, there were more out of staters picking up and buying. Pretty amazing.
  2. T Monkey

T Monkey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice deal. Any little bit helps.
  3. Baggi'tard

Oddometer:
    Was hoping to hear this week that Southern Honda was able to order the Monkey's, nothing so far. I've been watching a few videos of "first rides" and reviews on YouTube. So far it seems to me that most of them are just reviewing loaned bikes, they aren't the owners, just pointing out all the features (hey look upside down forks! uh yeah, they had those in 1969 too). And I'm tired of seeing guys lane-splitting in city traffic and riding around neighborhoods, boring. I'm pretty sure I might have the first video of these things bombing around through a hay field or taking a trail up to a mountain top. Standby. :ricky
    ride2little likes this.
  4. T Monkey

T Monkey Adventurer

Oddometer:
  5. Baggi'tard

Oddometer:
    They don't have any in stock, they've just been able to be ordered this month, estimated delivery is still Oct.

Since Southern Honda is the largest selling Honda dealer in the US, there's no doubt they'll be among the first to get them.
  6. T Monkey

T Monkey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Interesting as the one near me I was able to pre order last month. And that one is a small shop. Figure it will be a bit after the bigger places get them in before these guys get them in.
  7. Baggi'tard

Oddometer:
    Oh, yeah, I was first one on the pre-order "waiting list" at Southern Honda, that was in early July. I was actually the first one to call them after Honda announced it at the Grom festival thing in Townsend, but they wouldn't take my deposit until they were actually given an ordering time frame from Honda.
  8. Cuttlefish

Cuttlefish Riding to disappear.

Oddometer:
    They are on showroom floors in Australia.
    Sat on one last week.
    Seat was like a pillow.
  9. Baggi'tard

Oddometer:
    Yup, US seems to be the last market to get them.
  10. Jeepster360

Jeepster360 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It bums me out that the yellow isn't available with abs (that's what I have read anyways). I like the yellow. Why not have abs available on both colors?!?

John
  11. Baggi'tard

Oddometer:
    Weird right? The yellow in Europe are all ABS (not sure they sell them without it?). Seems most of the review videos so far are yellow bikes and they all seem to have the ABS badge.

I'm getting non-ABS bikes.
  12. Baggi'tard

Oddometer:
    I know we don't have them yet (just weeks away!).. but how many in the Southeast region would be interested in March Monkey Madness, maybe in conjunction with the March Moto Madness event here in Tellico Plains (should be March 29-31 this year I think). I will plan at least 2 days of routes suitable for Monkeys, and other mini bikes like Groms and Z125s if they want to tag along. :ricky
    ride2little likes this.
  13. RichardU

RichardU Let's Ride

Oddometer:
    Do you know how many weeks away?

Cheers, Richard
  14. Baggi'tard

Oddometer:
    18th was an initial estimate
  15. RichardU

RichardU Let's Ride

Oddometer:
    Got mine today!

Freedom Powersports. Canton, GA
  16. ride2little

ride2little Riding Like the Wind

Oddometer:
    I got a call today. Mine's in! I cant grab it until Friday though (per my schedule). I was told two other un-related folks came in, saw it and wanted to buy it on the spot. Dealer said it was sold, so they took two new deposits. Late December is the rest of this initial batch. Mine was the only one that came in. Non-ABS model, red. Dealer also mentioned that it is MUCH better looking in-person than the already cool-looking pictures.
    3-months to the day from my initial deposit.
    wee-twin and Richarde1605 like this.
  17. Baggi'tard

Oddometer:
    Jealous.. called my dealer yesterday, still looking at a 12 October shipment date apparently. Either that or they are lying about it. How do MS and GA and other TN already have them, but the huge dealer in Chattanooga doesn't.. :hair I put my deposit down 23 June.
  18. RichardU

RichardU Let's Ride

Oddometer:
    Arghhh. I take it back. They told me my bike had come in, but my wife wanted the ABS model and the one that came was without. They said the ABS model isn't even available to be ordered yet.

Braggi'tard, is yours ABS?
  19. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seriously, I have no more room and I will be adding one to the stable.

The wife is not going to be happy.

Time to find a bigger house.
  20. Baggi'tard

Oddometer:
    Sure they are available. I called around yesterday morning because I was wondering who had what. Kirks' Cycle in Dalton had red ABS. Freedom Cycles has a red non-ABS, Gainseville has a red non-ABS. Tammy Kirk quoted me a price that literally made me load the trailer up and go get it. I didn't care either way, which model I got, but I don't see the need for the complication of ABS (and 5 lbs of extra weight) either. Tammy offered the ABS model for same price as the non-ABS, no fees (well I paid $15 for a ride-out tag because they don't have the paperwork yet, so I can't register it yet).

Nobody in TN around Chatt/Knox has gotten one yet, including Knoxville, neither of the two in Chattanooga, Mountain, Tommy's, or LaFollete. Waynesville got one, it was on deposit and sold.

I am still first in line for two bikes at Southern Motorsports in Chattanooga, they have 12 Oct as the ship date for theirs. Oddly nobody has told me that there are yellow ones available yet, and I want one yellow and one red (I really want the blue offered other places). However, Southern tells me they are expecting yellow, but not sure either. Several dealers mentioned that Honda just delivers whatever, doesn't matter what specifically the dealers order. Everybody told me they only got one Monkey, others coming in December. So that kinda got me thinking. So I ended up getting this one, if Southern does end up with a yellow one, I have first dibs, and I'll get one. If not I'm still first in line for one whenever they come in.

IMG_6729.JPG

Check out the restored Z50 in the rafters at Kirk's Cycle, certainly some family resemblence. Just $3500 and it could be yours (and guys actually complain about $4K for the Monkey). Tammy said they just restored one for a customer, cost was $3200. In 1992 I freshened up my '69 Z50, replaced a few things, it cost me $250, which my grandpa told me was as much as he paid for it from the John Deere dealer.

IMG_6728.JPG