The Honda Monkey thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Kommando, Jun 14, 2018.

1. JesseeS

JesseeS Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think 240 is when this start to get get more dangerous if kept constant, I have mine set for 250
    JoshM likes this.
  2. JoshM

JoshM mid10josh Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh, that's no good. I was at 245ish at some points yesterday - with 70* ambient. Maybe I need an oil cooler sooner than I thought.
  3. JesseeS

Oddometer:
    Unless it's consistent I wouldn't be too worried. Getting stuck behind a slow moving car will cause my temp to spike but once I'm going at a better speed it drops down. You just don't want high Temps for prolonged periods. If you're not running a big bore and have your ecu flashed for your mods I wouldn't worry
    JoshM likes this.
  4. Baggi'tard

Baggi'tard If I don't answer I'm ridin' or shootin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    check your headlight shell. one of my Monkey had a rattle and I finally figured out one of the headlight bezel screws fell out. I'm also going to try and figure out how to install a screw or something to help the bezel stay put. Since there are only two screws, and one "clip" at the 12 oclock, it tends to come loose on rough roads, so every ride, over and over.
    JesseeS likes this.
  5. JesseeS

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the heads up! I just gave it a once over and sure enough one of my screws was loose. That said, it wasn't the cause of my noise. After way longer than I want to admit, it turned out to be my rear heat shield screw was juuuust loose enough than when in a certain rpm range it would give a rattle. Some loctite and another test ride later, rattle gone. I'm going to keep an eye on the headlight screws though. Thank you!
    Night_Wolf and JoshM like this.
  6. JoshM

JoshM mid10josh Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's the little things sometimes. Finally got my real tag!

Attached Files:

JesseeS likes this.
  7. JesseeS

Oddometer:
    Love the pair of bikes. Big fan of the strom
    Night_Wolf and JoshM like this.
  8. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    Me too & owned a pair of them; could never say anything bad about the Wee Strom
  9. wforider

wforider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I put on a full Yosh race exhaust. Sounds great, borders on too loud. Wish there was a switch to go back and forth between yosh sound and stock stealth. Anyway “off idle” throttle response and power suck. Mid top power better as far as 8 hp goes. Any solution to low end power/response?
  10. JesseeS

Oddometer:
    You can always go to a 14t to get back some lower end, but will rob top speed. With this bike you can't have your cake and eat it too. Power mods tend to get you more speed at the cost of bottom end
  11. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    Time for a 180 build!
  12. FLEUP

FLEUP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    for the fun
  13. emoose

emoose I have no idea what I'm doing. Supporter

Oddometer:
    What are your other mods? Intake? ECU flash?

I just purchased a Yoshimura RS3, and in my pre-purchase research, I found that while the stock ECU can adjust for the exhaust, it still runs slightly lean off idle, then rich through the mid range, and finally leans out again up high. An aftermarket intake exacerbates this. A fuel controller or ECU flash can fix this.

Also, are you running the spark arrestor? Yoshimura told me that the spark arrestor will slightly increase back pressure, which will increase torque at the cost of losing a little up top. It also takes the edge off of the loudness.

Disclaimer: I haven’t installed anything yet and have only basic knowledge about engines and tuning. I just like to research.
    wforider likes this.