The Honda XL (and other vintage singles) thread!

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by dorkpunch, Jan 18, 2009.

1. discochris

discochris Stayin' Alive

Oddometer:
    Sometimes the Twin Cities, Sometimes NW Wisconsin
    That's a 250 head. I don't think they are the same. Even the XL and XR heads are not the same for the 350. There is a brand new XL350 head on ebay - it might be the only one in the world for that matter. But it's almost $400. I have hours of time into this so far, but only a few hundred bucks. There's only so much I can justify spending on a bike that, if in good running shape, would be worth no more than $1200-1500, and is worth more in parts.

I'll pull the head tomorrow and see what's up.
  2. lookfar

lookfar from the land of OZ Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nope, this is my brand new twin carb XL/XR250 head. Never been on a bike, still has paint in the combustion chamber. Not for sale.

IMG_1125 (1).jpg
    IMG_1129.jpg
    drbuzzard and discochris like this.
  3. discochris

discochris Stayin' Alive

Oddometer:
    Wow! Where did you get that, and how long have you had it?
  4. lookfar

Oddometer:
    Got it in a box of Honda bits that I swapped for a box of rum cans a couple of years ago.
  5. discochris

discochris Stayin' Alive

Oddometer:
    Dropped valve. :becca

IMG_20200226_183409763.jpg

Attached Files:

6. lookfar

Oddometer:
  7. discochris

discochris Stayin' Alive

Oddometer:
    Bugger indeed. Time to cut my losses. Bike is about 60% stripped down to be parted. I wanted to make this work, but hopefully I can make some money back and some others can keep their bikes on the roads and trails with my old parts. I considered going through it all again, but the main reasons I'm not are:

1. Parts are hard to find and expensive. I was able to get most everything on a decent budget, but it's more involved now. My time becomes more limited as spring comes along, and I'd rather be out riding in the next month or so when riding season starts here.

2. There was SO much metal everywhere, I'm seriously wondering if there is other damage I can't see, or shrapnel in places that I will miss, only to put humpty dumpty back together again, just to fail again in short order.

But I really do thank you all here for the encouragement and advice during this process.
    thewbee, Yeti2ride and Al Tuna like this.
  8. shinyribs

shinyribs Thumpers for life

Oddometer:
    Well, not what happened to you, but some comic relief :D

IMG-20200227-WA0005.jpg
    Man, I hate to see this. She's definitely injured, but not dead. Though I can understand your reasoning for not wanting to continue on. Always kills me to see a bike get parted out, even if it is for the good of the many.
    Andyvh1959, lookfar and Yeti2ride like this.
  9. b930306625

b930306625 n00b

Oddometer:
    I saw the ad for that bike in Canada recently and exchanged emails with the guy. The muffler is the weakest part of it, cosmetically. That could be replaced or re-finished. I think the rest of the bike is in good shape.

Lucky Patcher Kodi Nox
  10. rexelstar

rexelstar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_1323.JPG
    shinyribs likes this.
  11. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    Hey bud, are you producing these yourself? Making the new plastic bits?
  12. rexelstar

Oddometer:
    More repair and exchange parts. The plastic/rubber slider is a problem to get these, so fare only second hand..
    If the eyelet rubberizing is cracked at that point it is to repair by some rubber glue with a hardware fixation of the two steel plates around the eyelet bush. The hardware fixation does make the slider stronger/better then oem.

I need a minimum order of 100 pcs to get the plastic/rubber slider build new..to play even.
    Having the mold made for the rubber as well as the mold for the steel part to which the rubber should be attached is (to) expensive.

Waiting for a china option is probably a question of time..

For the moment refurbishing with the best parts available.
    shinyribs likes this.
  13. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    I know a few guys who do 3D printing. I'm looking at getting in to it myself. I haven't done enough research on the materials yet I'm wondering if things like this can be printed.

I own a bike that needs one of each of the adjusters you pictured. Your can put my name down for two if you are shipping international :D
  14. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen Supporter

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    Wow, that all sounds similar to my 83 XL600R. Bought it cheap, $200 for a complete rolling chassis with mst of the engine in a bucket. Intake valves were bent, so I figured the kid I bought it from over-revved it too many times. New valves, and it went together real easy, too easy in fact. Got it running and the first real load climbing a hill in upper Michigan and bang, knock, dead. Pushed uphill to coast downhill to the Jeep. Got it apart and bent intakes again, whack marks on the piston. Out with the cam chain and guides, AHA! REALLY worn out cam chain was a good bit longer than the original. New valves, new cam chain, new guides and it fires up again and has since. But I suspect a CDI issue as I can barely throttle it up to 55 mph. It'll idle and chug along all day but no high speed at all.

It's a project bike in waiting, it'll become a retro-motard with a properly rebuilt engine.
    discochris and shinyribs like this.
  15. R80GSEric

R80GSEric Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi All, since I was a kid in the 80s and rode an xl500 I’ve wanted one! Scored this nearly complete 1981 250s. Just got a strong spark yesterday and am really stoked. Will video ‘first fire’ for the group tomorrow!

Attached Files:

16. bultacobill

bultacobill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stuck at home social distancing so we watched the first Back to the Future movie again and look what was in it? Check out this screen shot! Anybody notice the XL 650 in the background way back then? 3A27BEBA-72D1-4C6C-A6A8-961534B255C6.png
  17. rexelstar

Oddometer:
    XL600.. nice :-)
  18. bultacobill

bultacobill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Whoops sorry I meant 600 not 650.
  19. MotoChris521

MotoChris521 motominded

Oddometer:
    1984 model XL600R
    I bought a new '83 and had a '85 Toyota 4x4 Xtra cab for 11 years! Whoopie
  20. bultacobill

bultacobill Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought the Toyota truck in Back to the future was great too. I see there is a YouTube video about the restoration of that truck.