The Honda XL (and other vintage singles) thread!

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by dorkpunch, Jan 18, 2009.

1. wsandber12

wsandber12 n00b

Oddometer:
    I’m looking to swap out my current street tires on my 1976 Honda XL125 with a more period correct set of offroad tires. Anybody have some recommendations?
  2. iatethepeach

iatethepeach Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    bultacobill likes this.
  3. Tim McKittrick

Tim McKittrick Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’ve been using the Shinko 241’s on my older enduros for years and they work well.
  4. iatethepeach

iatethepeach Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have an idler gear (28T) from an XL125/185/200 or pre-'85 XR200 they'd like to sell? Part number is 23531-437-310. Thanks.
  5. TommyCareless

TommyCareless AKA Tinker Tom

Oddometer:
    My mom just bought a house in the middle of nowhere and found a bunch of these inside.
    BFF82A1E-3A75-46BC-ADD4-0E8CEEDD06E8.jpeg BFF82A1E-3A75-46BC-ADD4-0E8CEEDD06E8.jpeg
    ~T
  6. nordic1

nordic1 Uff Da! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Beautiful riding yesterday - Ozarks in Arkansas
    IMG_20200808_124458.jpg IMG_20200808_124503.jpg
  7. YukonC

YukonC Adventurer

Oddometer:
  8. jank

jank Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you were ever wondering, the XT550 is a great camping stove to prepare meals on.
    Here is mine '83 with 2KF XT600 engine while cooking dinner for me and my friend during our latest 4 day, 1000km dirt trip through Poland:

There are english subtitles
  9. shinyribs

shinyribs Thumpers for life

Oddometer:
    I've got a Hondaline luggage rack I took off of my '81 (I think?) XL500S. It's not rusty or bent. There's nothing wrong with it except one of the clamps isn't original.

If someone can use it you can have it for the cost of shipping. I just want it off the shelf and in the hands of someone that needs it. Best picture I can find at the moment.

IMG_20200301_145818026.jpg
    manx16 and aptbldr like this.
  10. YukonC

YukonC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll take it. Private message being sent.
  11. bultacobill

bultacobill Long timer

Oddometer:
    5516861C-851F-49E9-8B5A-785A1892BD40.jpeg
    They will fit. I have those on my 82 XL500 95844EBF-23E1-4F29-87CA-8F026F53847E.jpeg
    5th-Elefant likes this.
  12. YukonC

YukonC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Do you know of any shorty brake and clutch levers that fit the stock perches? I bought some on Ebay that said would fit, but the flange that bolts to the perch is too wide.
  13. bultacobill

bultacobill Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought the same levers and just filed them to fit. I’ve had them on my bike for about 3 years now. Just take your time and remove material until they fit.
  14. bultacobill

bultacobill Long timer

Oddometer:
    13 of us rode today in the Laurel highlands of PA. Rode 100 miles 90% dirt and gravel roads. The XL 500 is always a hit with the other guys. I have other modern dual sports but the old Honda is my favorite to ride. A8743BF1-CEBD-4F34-BED8-42E2949745D1.jpeg 9194BF82-955F-41D7-9FCD-415A20508664.jpeg
    alpina, shinyribs, thewbee and 2 others like this.
  15. utbirdman

utbirdman n00b

Oddometer:
    20200830_134454.jpg
    My son keeps on spilling hard on the old xl250s, now he can only ride it when I am around now. It is either a C70 or my VFR, and I ain't gonna take the VFR to the top of a mountain on rough dirt/rock roads. I may be slow, but it keeps him slow and safe. Got a lot of looks riding a vintage scooter up the mountain trails. The XL looks right at home in the dirt.
  16. YukonC

YukonC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The XL500R on top of Inspiration Point (Utah) with Willard Peak in the background from a couple weeks ago, WillardPeak.jpeg

and the XL250R on top of Logan Peak (Utah) today.
    LoganPeak.jpg
    Jeephoto, alpina, shinyribs and 4 others like this.
  17. AL-n2it

AL-n2it Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here is my XL100 story.

We have all heard the stories, "I found this on Craigslist for $50" or " the guy just didn't want it anymore". Well, I have waited 50 years for my turn(kinda). It came on May 30th, 2020, my youngest daughter's 17th birthday.

A longtime friend of mine, we call him Uncle Seane, is an independent motorcycle repair shop owner and runs into these situations all the time. As a self-confessed “addict of motorcycles and motorcycle accessories”, his house and shop are filled with bikes, parts and gear.

So when my oldest daughter wanted to learn to ride, Uncle Seane, produced the 1974 XL100. As the story goes, he purchased it from a guy, that found it in his brother’s garage after he died. It wasn’t running, he brought it to Uncle Seane's shop, yadda yadda… let’s just say he sold it to uncle Seane pretty cheap.

So when I told Uncle Seane that my youngest daughter was ready to learn and I wanted to buy the XL from him for her birthday (Uncle Seane and her were both born on May 30). He said it would be his birthday gift to her. Because she is a minor, I am claiming the bike as mine for now.

The bike is pretty much complete and running before we started this project. It only needed one thing, one BIG thing, California registration. I had no title, only a bill of sale and a clean CHP report. After 1-1/2 hours at DMV it was mine…I mean my daughters.

XL before.jpg

So, after a few trips around the block we ripped it apart and started the “REBOOT”, not a restoration. I can’t justify the price for some of the NOS parts, so reproduction parts will be OK.

XL100 ripped.jpg

Frame primed and painted black. We kicked around some other colors but settled with black.

Frame painted.jpg
    Rebuilt the forks and install some period-correct levers.

Frame and froks.jpg

Fast forward a few weeks and it is a rolling chassis.

rolling chassis.jpg

We are getting excited now. The parts pile is getting smaller and it is looking clean(er).
    After scrubbing the engine, it goes back in.

engine is in.jpg

This was a big one, the wiring. I took pictures during teardown, but not enough!!
    But, it's a Honda, so it was pretty easy to figure out.

wiring completed.jpg

Just a few more parts left. Next was the airbox, battery, and control cables. Using a funnel as a gas tank, it started and all electrical checked out. Damm carb dripped from the drain screw. Like Uncle Seane tells people with these old bikes, "every day is a new day", today it runs, tomorrow it leaks gas, the next day it will be something new!!

Only thing keeping me from riding it is the bodywork. It has been primed/sealed but we got busy at work so the painter had to focus on the money makers.

Body work primmed.jpg

***WARNING*** It will not be painted the 1974 factory orange. Remember it is my 17-year daughter's bike.
    Allen
  18. Vinduroman

Vinduroman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    An excellent build 'ya got going there, Allen!

So the bike's the daughter's, eh? Well... okay... she's a cutie and I'm sure she's more than worth it.

Cool that you're going to be able to ride with your daughter. Mine wanted to learn, so the wife and I bought her an 81 XL185... she learned to ride, I was able to take her out in the mountains once... then she went and got involved with a guy, ended up getting married, and that was that! Sold the bike shortly afterward.

They grow up way too fast. Enjoy her while she's still home!

V-man
    EnduroRdr likes this.
  19. ScottNJ

ScottNJ Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hello! I recently purchased a '72 XL250 in excellent condition, only 1150 miles. Only problem, of course, no title. I have heard Vermont recently changed to "residents only" for registering old bikes. Anyone know? Maybe I should try it anyway? I want to throw something out there. I also have another '72 XL250, it's pretty much all there, but is pretty beat (18,000 miles) and isn't running (needs kick starter gear and clutch plates I think). But it does have a title. Would it be crazy to swap frames?
  20. bultacobill

bultacobill Long timer

Oddometer:
    I swapped a frame once for the same reason with no future issues. Go for it.