The Honda XL (and other vintage singles) thread!

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by dorkpunch, Jan 18, 2009.

1. ScottNJ

ScottNJ Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I might try the Vermont registration for old time's sake, and have the frame swap as a last resort.
  2. mulanee

mulanee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Second bike, fun is still there.
    This was in Corsica
    Bad end of life, the '23 wheel made her falling down in a river 60 meters lower in Pyrénées
    Still there after 26 years.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. mulanee

mulanee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Probably a '79 one
    My first bike, so much fun and some adventures

125_2.jpg

125_1.jpg
  4. rexelstar

rexelstar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Second bike is a 1980, first bike looks like a XL125s or XL175s ?
    Nice bikes both;).
  5. mulanee

mulanee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    125xls

175xls was not existing in the french market. Only possible with an aftermarket kit.
  6. bultacobill

bultacobill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rode in Elk county Pennsylvania last week. Appropriately name as you can see by the picture I snapped. 0191909E-9DFB-454C-AA41-456A809E57B1.jpeg 5EA7049A-3017-48F6-AA53-80959D9772F7.jpeg
  7. mulanee

mulanee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi,

What for a black exhaust manifold paint (500XLS)?
  8. AL-n2it

AL-n2it Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We finally got it together. I'm still waiting for the new replica seat from Thailand. If anyone has a spare lower exhaust shield I would be interested in it, $40 for a replica is hard to swallow.
    Here is what we ended up with.
    Thanks,
    Allen

XL1002.jpg
    XL1001.jpg
    XL1003.jpg
    XL1004.jpg
    5th-Elefant, mrsdnf, Scoozi and 4 others like this.
  9. chardog1971

chardog1971 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had an 81 xl 200 when I was in high school circa 1985. It was my first bike. Southern California. What a blast. Wish I still had it. I rode from LA to SF And back.
  10. snake89

snake89 Long timer

Oddometer:
    FINALLY repaired the muffler, repainted complete system and got it installed. XL185.jpg
    thewbee, shinyribs and 5th-Elefant like this.
  11. dirt hokie

dirt hokie Long timer

Oddometer:
    ok dumb question time....just picked up a supper clean 1973 XL175. Bike got a restoration back in 2005, couple owners between then and now, but does not appear to have been ridden much since then. If I had to guess its never seen dirt. Now for the dumb questions
    1. does is have a wet flywheel/magneto. Had the fly wheel cover off and saw oil, tilted bike over to put on a stand and 1/2 a quart spilled out,
    looked at parts diagram, and cant find a oil seal on the crank, so I am hoping oil in the flywheel case cover is normal.
    2. PO said it had a timing issues, would not rev past 4000 without breaking up and back firing. I adjusted the points and timing as best I could with my limited knowledge and it will now rev to 7000 before breaking up and backfiring....but in order to get it that far the timing plate has to be adjusted way past normal range. Bike starts easy and runs fine up to that point. Is it possible the points are just worn past fixing with adjustment....
    3. It will drain the battery as you ride. Put a new battery in with a fresh charge, and after ten minutes it will die if you let it drop below a high idle. Turning on the headlight will reduce the length of time it will run. Recharge battery and you are good for another 5-10min
    4. I plan to do some vintage races, I am going to remove the lights ect... Can the electrical system be modified to eliminate the battery. Basically making it a dirt only bike.

Thanks, first time messing with a old bike with points.
  12. bultacobill

bultacobill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check the spark advance spring at the points. They tend to get weak and let the advance go too far. I had the same thing (backfire and miss at higher RPM’s) with an xr75. I ended up using Another spring and it worked fine. If I remember correctly I used a spring from an ink pen. It was a long time ago so I might not remember that correctly. You can watch the timing Mark with a timing light and see it advance to far to diagnose the weak spring.
  13. bultacobill

bultacobill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Proper way to check the stator for proper charging while it is running is with a multi meter. Check for voltage below 6 volts, if it is below then it is usually a stator or a poor ground.
  14. dirt hokie

dirt hokie Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am going to pick up a multi meter today. Might check the advance spring dodad tonight.
  15. dirt hokie

dirt hokie Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, can the old XL be converted to run with no battery and no lights. Its going off road, and the lights are coming off anyway.
  16. mulanee

mulanee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes it's possible nevertheless the "battery" coil needs to be loaded by a resistance not to be damaged
  17. 62hsr

62hsr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  18. dirt hokie

dirt hokie Long timer

Oddometer:
    well its seems to be charging, at least while sitting still. Engine off....bat is at 6.4 Engine at 1200 rpm per manual...6.9 or 7 Engine at 5000rpm.... around 8 volts All measured at battery terminals.
    Will take it around the block tonight and do a before and after battery reading. I did notice that if its idling the blinkers wont flash unless you rev it past a high idle. Could something in the ignition system be drawing more power then it should, but still allow the bike to run?
  19. dirt hokie

dirt hokie Long timer

Oddometer:
    XL 175.jpg 1. So, I took it around the block, maybe 4 miles. Battery was at 6.4 with engine off when I left, and 6.8 with engine off when I got back. So maybe that's fine
    2. I already new the spark timing was off. So investigated that some more, I found the spark advance mechanism has a lot of play/ slop in it. Like the springs are to loose. Is that normal, or are the springs shot, I imagine if that assembly has a lot a play in it, there is no way its going keep the timing consistent. The bike starts easy, and seems to run fine up to 5000 rpm, then it hits a rough spot for a few hundred rpm before smoothing back out until 7000 rpm, where it brakes up and maxes out. But.... I now think my tach may be off, I think its supposed to idle around 800rpm, but at low idle according to my ear, the tach reads 1500-2000 rpm.
    bultacobill, manx16 and Vinduroman like this.
  20. Vinduroman

Vinduroman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    dirt hokie...

Can't help you with your bike woes, but I sure hope you find/fix it. That's a GREAT looking XL175!!

V-man
    manx16 likes this.