The Honda XL (and other vintage singles) thread!

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by dorkpunch, Jan 18, 2009.

1. pbarmy

pbarmy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here is my son and his first bike,which we worked on all winter,a 1975 xr 75.(We got it about 10 yrs ago.)

[​IMG]
  2. DoubleBit

DoubleBit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just kicking around in the garage last night,, great hobby to get away from the lazy-boy, snacks and general loafing around. Working on spring fix ups like: removing rust from the gn250s gas tank, straightening out the carbs on the gsx1100g, and setting up a pair of xl175s for trail rides.

Got a set of clutch and brake levers from jc witty, they're all aluminium and seem to be very good/servicable copies of the original honda units. At about 10$ each plus the darned shipping, I think they're a fair/good deal. Even the front brake light switch swapped over from the beat up original holder to the jc unit.

See the Steel Tank Storage thread for info on saving/cleaning tanks,, that vinegar tip has saved the gn tank from total boil out at the radiator shop. Good stuff.

Oh, and if anyone knows a good source for xl175 engine gaskets or a good shop that has bits like these levers etc in the Sacramento CA area, please tell me.

PS. "Smell the Roses", great name for a real sweet ol' 250.. Motor on mate!
  3. sturleyau

sturleyau Monarch 42

Oddometer:
    Avonsleigh, Victoria (that's near Emerald)
    As you have seen my "Smell the Roses" isn't such a bad little bike. I have just finished adding a set of early Honda? fibreglass panniers and a rack for a Ventura bag. It came up quite well. The reason for all this is to take the bike touring to some out of the way places mostly bitumen to get there but requires a dirt bike on arrival.
    The tank holds 2 gals or 8 litres. Not enough for the big distances here in Oz.
    I need a bigger tank!
    Any ideas or has anyone seen larger tanks for these gems?

Regards
    Glenn

Attached Files:

4. G2mk3

G2mk3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    sturleyau - clarke should make a bigger tank for the xl250: http://www.clarkemfg.com/ if they don't have a specific one there is most likely one from a similar honda that you could easily adapt on

doublebit - for the 175 gasket kit you can try http://www.maccycles-parts.com/servlet/StoreFront. I just ordered a kit for my xl185s, they don't show the 175 on their site but maybe they can get it. i noticed some of the kits (at least on denniskirk) say that it's a complete gasket kit in the title and show a picture of a complete gasket kit but in the details say that the crankcase gaskets are not included, something to be careful of.
  5. dorkpunch

dorkpunch Oops...

Oddometer:
    I bought a gasket set for my 175 off of fleebay, it was fairly cheap too. No crankcase gaskets- meaning between the to halves of the crankcase? They didnt have gaskets there...
  6. G2mk3

G2mk3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ah, well nevermind that part then. i figured if my 185 had them then so did others...
  7. DoubleBit

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys, I'll check into those leads.. Kinda figured they used hondabond on the case halves,, that stuff is awesome.
  8. sturleyau

sturleyau Monarch 42

Oddometer:
    Avonsleigh, Victoria (that's near Emerald)
    G2mk3, thanks for the input about Clarke tanks. It appears they don't have an item specific to the 1972 XL so I shall keep looking.
    Next question for everyone is what model XL250 comes with a 12V system and are these adaptable to the early models?

Cheers
    Glenn
  9. dorkpunch

dorkpunch Oops...

Oddometer:
    there arent any simple conversions, although someone on the oldrice xl board recently made the system from a 12v "S" model XL work on one of the older XL250's...
  10. pbarmy

pbarmy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hers my younger son's 77 XL75

[​IMG]
  11. OldFenderGuy

OldFenderGuy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very low mileage 1981 Honda XL250S that I picked up a couple months ago from the original owner.

Had it checked from end to end and it's in very good condition for it's age. Everything works, no leaks, doesn't burn any oil, and it even had the original tires.... About all I had to do was install new Trailwings, put in a new battery, and I went with a 15 tooth front sprocket to slightly lower the RPM at highway speeds. The owner said that a few years ago he had a Honda shop "increase the power a little bit", wasn't sure what all they did, but it does have one of the older style SuperTrapp mufflers and runs very nice for a 250...

I've put about 1,500 miles on it, and it's great fun on the dirt/gravel roads out here in the boondocks where I live...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. crazydrummerdude

crazydrummerdude Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer:
    Just bought a skid plate for my XL.

It's tough to decide where to throw the money when I've got so many projects..
  13. BikerDave

BikerDave Greybeard Rider

Oddometer:
    My '82 XL500R......my first foray into "adventure" bikes!! Bought it for next to nothing a few years back and restored it. Definitely a fun ride!!

[​IMG]
  14. CoydogSF

CoydogSF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Particulaly after reading threads like this one, I've been obsessed with finding an XL250 to work on as a project, to use as a dirt bike, and for my girlfriend to learn to ride on. I like the looks of the older ones and given that I have a '73 orange sparkle CB750, got excited when I saw a new listing ON CraigsList for a '74 XL250 with light blue and orange graphics that would make a nice pair.

Despite a late night on Saturday, my girlfriend and I arose early on Sunday and drove the hour or so north from San Francisco to Novato in our '88 VW Westfalia. I had done some quick calculations based on the wheelbase of the XL250 plus half of the diameter of the front and back wheels and determined it should just fit wedged between the driver and passenger seat.

In Novato, we met the very nice guy who owned the bike and despite his obvious reluctance to let her go, reassured him that we weren't taking her to the glue factory and agreed on the purchase price. My girlfriend swung a leg over the little XL just to see how it would feel and the seller and I exchanged a look that clearly said "Now I could sell *that* as a calendar."

Steering the front 21 incher between the seats allowed just enough room for us to lift the back and swing it in. Despite the copious gas fumes from some spillage from the carb overflow, we were ready to roll. In fact, we literally had to roll backwards since the front tire prevented me from getting the van into reverse.

She hopped out of van the at home much more easily, and we took her two up on a tour of the neighborhood. First impressions? First gear feels like a tank. Not going to get you over about 10 mph but could go up anything. Second and up starts really getting fun, even with two on board. Can't wait to dive into a tune up, paint those fenders, and start going through everything on her.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. DoubleBit

Oddometer:
    Plastic fenders:
    Which rattle can paint do y'all find works.
    I've used Dupi colour,, I'm not real impressed,, it peeled off after about six months.
    Oh, this is for the fenders on my xl175...
  16. dorkpunch

dorkpunch Oops...

Oddometer:
    Krylon fusion... Works fer me!
  17. Highchief

Highchief Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here's my baby. just got her last week and am having a great time. A real bitch to start but great once it's warm.
    85 XL350R with 8,000 on the clock
    [​IMG]
  18. Motoduc1

Motoduc1 backtrackvideo.com

Oddometer:
    I'm working on a '77 XL 100 as we speak (write)!

Finding replacement plastic sidecovers looks to be impossible. Fleabay items can go as high as $120 or so for a pair! Other than that, most parts are readily available.
  19. Sniper X

Sniper X De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
    Well?

here's a pic form yesterday...

[​IMG]
  20. mrfixit54016

mrfixit54016 Wisconsin Dual Sporter

Oddometer:
    Here's mine.

[​IMG]