The Husaberg 70º FE Adventure Traveler Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Lost Roadie, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Dualsport4ever

Dualsport4ever Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Which fourth tank are you using? I know you have the subframe tank, skid plate tank, and of course the OEM tank. Safari tank front or rear?
  2. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    Sorry mate, theres 5ive!

Main tank,
    Safari front,
    Safari rear,
    Subframe,
    Skid plate tank.
    Dualsport4ever likes this.
  3. Botje

Botje Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG_20190419_182536.jpg

Just doing a valve clearance check, those rocker shafts show some fretting where they meet the cylinder head. Touched up the surface with some fine oil stone. Anyone seen that before? 220 hrs.
    Going to buy new ones. Valve clearance is good but on loose end of spec, some new shims will be bought too to adjust valves.

Also fixed the leaking generator cover:

IMG_20190328_170427.jpg

Shiney spots are the high spots.

After some time with sand paper on a flat surface, surface is nice and flat. Difference between highest and lowest spot was more than 0.25mm - 0.01". Made a new gasket myself, no test yet.

And changed clutch slave cylinder O-ring. Had been using ATF instead of the Magura mineral oil, still looked great. Just wanted to replace it before it might have caused annoyance on a trip. Did some reading and decided to use a quad ring for the new seal, those are designed for axial movement.

IMG_20190323_182714.jpg

Same size as stock, 23,52 * 1,78mm. Did some calcs, checked groove width and depth and the same size quad ring will be happy in that application.

Finally changing the 38 teeth rear sprocket for 44 teeth.. Still on the supermoto wheel set.
  4. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    Make sure you are provided with the updated shafts. They have a flat along the length to provide more oil.

Yeah ATF fluid is fine. Poor mans ‘blood’, or is that ‘wise’ mans blood!

44/45 tweeked by the counter sprocket is fine for the tards.
    octopusenvy likes this.
  5. Botje

Botje Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes will do, thanks! going to order the new shafts. Mine does have the new version with the flat edge. It's just that they show odd wear where they meet with the cylinder head.
    It's easy enough to pull the tank, going to shape them after I get t back from holiday. Of course with the berg!
    My mountain bike buddy had Magura brakes but upgraded to Hope now we are doing lots of bikeparks and downhill, so he gave me a bottle of blue Magura oil.
  6. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    So the upddate shafts are showing wear! Interesting!
  7. Dao1

Dao1 Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. Yeti2ride

Yeti2ride Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Black Bear ?
    Dao1 likes this.
  9. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:

I thought they were telling us that stuff would be snowed in until August this year?
  10. Baggi'tard

Baggi'tard If I don't answer I'm ridin' or shootin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    Blackbear for sure! I've done that area a couple times on my 640 ADV, can't even imagine how stupid simple it would be on the mighty 'Berg.
  11. Botje

Botje Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG_20190503_125227.jpg

One week road tripping. Most of the days with little luggage, bike performed brilliant.

Did one oil change en route. Ram mount + phone was great for maps (in this area)
  12. octopusenvy

octopusenvy gravel grommit

Oddometer:
    Man I been slack here fullaz...glad u all holding it down. Still loving the '12 570 and have plans in the works for a tower setup. Just the most fun bike to take anywhere! DSC_6188 (1024x576).jpg
  13. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    Jef, he dint send the bits till Friday mate, which is no drama but i should see them mid week. Then ill work on making the plates for our headstock.
    octopusenvy likes this.
  14. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Apologies octopusenvy, I didn't get round to it until friday.

Up to Auspost now though I'd guess they should land tomorrow or wednesday.
    donmoto likes this.
  15. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    All good Matt. No drama mate. Couldnt have done anything prior anyway. Bugger Jef, he can wait! :D
  16. samvspr

samvspr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Let me introduce myself I'm Sam a 29 year old guy from the Netherlands, working as an Automotive software engineer at DAF trucks (Paccar).
    And I have 2 70 degree husabergs a 2010 FE570 and a 2011 FE450.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    IMG_20190830_182106800.jpg

I'm Planning on going on a big motorcycle adventure with the 570 beginning of April 2020 for 6,5 months to Mongolia and back (rough plan is Balkans, Turkey, Georgia, Armenia, Iran, Stans, Mongolia, Rusia to Lake Baikel/Vintim bridge, and then back to Europe), currently busy with all the paperwork's, route planning and bike preparation.

So I bought the 450 already equipped with a lot of adventure parts but preferred the 570 engine for the higher torque to be able to drive it a bit more lazy on the long stretches. So found a quite stock 570 with only the 70degree tank and a aluminum bashplate fitted.
    So planned is now to build the 570 up to adventure travel spec, see details below.
    And build the 450 up as a spare bike and maybe add a roadbook setup too it for training and maybe later try to do some amateur rally's with it.

Bike setup:
    Husaberg FE 570 70degree 2010.

Mods currently on the bike:
    • 70degree subframe fuel tank (4Liters)
    • Safari front fuel tank (8Liters) the 3 tanks combined gives a total of 20Liters.
    • Cycra hand guards
    • Scott steering damper.
    • Triple clamp moto HDPE engine covers
    • Double take mirrors
    • Bashplate with toolbox Sheffelmeier
    • GPS: Garmin Montana
    • Kickstand: Promoto billet
    • Footpegs: Pivotpegs
    • Radiator guards SRT pro armor aluminum
    • Grips Progrip rally foam
    • Kriega front grab handle
    • Tubliss gen-2 front and rear
    • KTM 640 cush hub rear wheel
    • Fan kit
    • Rear disk guard

Desired modes:
    • Gulatech fuel filter tank inlet sock.
    • Zipty fuel filter 20micron
    • HD wheel set: Excel A60 Rims 21/18 Inch, Haan Hubs cush hub rear, HD spokes.
    • Cam chain tensioner: Automatic tensioner Dirt tricks
    • Chain/ sprocket set: Dirt tricks Ironman sprockets 13/49?, Dirt tricks Dome washer, DID 520 VT2 chain. What do you guy's recommend for gearing?
    • Brake disks: Motomaster rally 298mm front, Dirt tricks 220mm closed rear. (Need to check if the front brake support this rotor, Colbatch reported he needed to fit a different caliper from Brembo (https://www.instagram.com/p/BUkZSkOhr2K/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link))
    • Headlight: Triple clamp moto XL80 combo or Rally screen from Tileman or HDB with 2x BajaDesign lamps (40w Combo/ 80w spot)
    • Rear light: Additional rally tail light, Just for some better visability.
    • Seat: Custom made (Rayz) or Seat concepts? What are you guy's experience with Seat concepts?
    • Suspension: get it adjusted to the travel weight by Hyper-Pro.
    • Chain oiler: Osco manual chain oiler
    • Emergency capacitor (to give you some capacity for the FI system in case of a push start with a flat battery)
    • Oil capacity upgrade: looking into tips and info for this one? More details in the next post.
    • Cooling upgrade: what temp fan switch do you guys recommend 85°C or 95°C? And keep stock hoses or fit a set of Samco hoses which will also remove the thermostat.
    • Heated grips, Any recommendations I prefer to run my own choice of grips?
    • Power output: 2xUSB and SAE plug.
    • Battery: Lithium battery, just to save some weight. Do you guy's have any recommendations?
    • Exhaust: Akrapovic silencer [SXS10450512]
    • Service parts:
      • Fork seal doctor
      • Trail jack
      • Jump starter: cables or Battery pack? What would guy's recommend?
    • Spare parts:
      • Brake pads: 2x front and 2x rear.
      • Oil filters: 2x Original 1xMetal oil filter
      • Oil: 2,5L 10W50 Fully synthetic (Putoline ester tech)
      • Air filters: 2x foam filter 3x Filter socks, No-Toil filter cleaner kit.
      • Tires: 1x Tubliss high pressure front 1x Tubliss high pressure rear 1x 21 inch normal tube.
      • Chain clips: 2x sets of DID 520 VT2 fish clips
      • Levers: 1x Clucht 1x Brake
      • Pedals: 1x Brake 1x Shifter
      • Rebuild/service kit: 1x Clutch, 1x brakes F+R, 1x levers C + B, 1x rearbrake pump
      • Wheel bearings and seals: 2 sets of seals and bearings.
      • Cush hub: set of spare rubbers
      • Spark plug
      • Clutch plate kit
      • Fuel pump
      • Fuel injector
      • Fuel filters
      • Stator
      • Regulator
      • Wheel/axle: 1x front nut 1x rear nut 1x front spacers 1x rear spacers
      • Spare nuts and bolts: 2 of each of all common sizes, 1x front sprocket bolt + DT dome washer

Current luggage setup:
    • 21 Brothers rogal 40L (polish copy of the gaint loop) with 2 bottle holsters at the back
    • Tool box at the bashplate, +-2,5L
    • Fjällraven Bergen 30L backpack

This is the combo I traveled with so far but I know It is on the small side for this larger trip, so looking at some more options.

The backpack has a great fit, but I noticed I sometimes put to heavy items in it and that it was causing some fatigue, so want to keep this for some important personal items and light weight quick access stuff like medical kit, rain gear and spare gloves, and keep some room left for every day groceries.

I tried the Mosko Moto Reckless 80 but this didn't fit the bike well it was too wide and the R40 to my opinion sits quite high, so I think I stick to a 40 to 50L setup for the back, the Rogal 40L is quite ok, but I would prefer something without zippers, they have a new model with a roll top but I'm also looking into the X-Country enduro bags they seem to have the weight a bit lower, not completely sure yet one what to chose.
    And I'm thinking of fitting a front fender or screen bag for some of the spare parts and a small homemade bag to left inside of the rear panel.
    And two small 5l bags to the sides of the tank, because I'm not sure if a top tankbag will work out well with a safari tank.

IMG_20191018_173815257_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190920_104245162_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20191019_175404596_HDR.jpg

Thanks up front for the read and the support.
  17. samvspr

samvspr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A separate post on the oil capacity topic: I found the following post online https://expeditionportal.com/so-you-want-a-lightweight-adventure-travel-bike/ but the pictures are missing but this has drawn my attention because I was thinking of about 2000km/1250miles oil change intervals with the stock oil capacity but with this modification I expect I can stretch it up easily to about 3500km/ 2000+ miles.

Has anybody of you guy's done this modification or has more details about it, maybe saved the pictures on their pc?
    Or similar modifications like adding an oil cooler or something like that to increase the oil capacity?

I did already some research and it looks like the guy from the article used the same oil tap points as used on the HT racing oil coolers for the KTM 530 tap from the cam chain tensioner bolt and return at the oil filter cover.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    There is also the Berglund rally bike oil cooler option available this tapes both oil points at the oil filter cover but you then need a different oil filter and it will use an internal tube trough the filter which will separate the oil flow in the filter house, to get the oil flow through the oil cooler. http://www.husabergrally.com/kit_details.php?kit_id=6
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    @Colebatch is also running this on his husaberg project bike https://www.facebook.com/HusabergAdventureTeam/photos/a.647087645393303/2182790951822957/?type=3

The KTM rally bikes also seem to use this technique but it looks like there the oil filter is removed and places in too an external container.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What do you guy's think about this and is it worth the work you put in or is there only a bigger risk of leaking points and is it easier to just more often change the oil on longer distance trips?
    Any one any real world experience with one of these techniques?
    And will the stock oil pump deliver enough pressure for all this additional oil it needs to pump round?
  18. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    If your 450 has an original yellow frame, its a 2012.
  19. samvspr

samvspr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It is a late '11 model first registration date was 22/11/2011 and from the looks of it the yellow frame is the stock color.
  20. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    Yep, still a 2012 mate. The ‘12 was the only bent Berg with a yellow frame. The ‘12’s were made late ‘11 for the ‘12 year market. Look into further and im sure youll see. Congrats! :thumb

Mine is an ‘11. The bottom one is a ‘12

A1EB9CFE-9C23-4F22-A13D-DE0CB57D6EC8.jpeg 43E3A547-1A8E-48D0-9C49-B8E07426C3E3.png
    Dualsport4ever and samvspr like this.