The I LOVE THIS GUN Thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by HiTechRedneck, Nov 20, 2008.

1. tominboise

tominboise Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have and carry a Glock 26 IWB most of the time. When I need to go smaller, I use a Kahr CM9, as it will ride in my front pocket. I also have a Kahr CW9, which is a lovely pistol and way more accurate then it should be, but it doesn't get out much after I took possession of the Glock. None of these have an external safety nor hammer. A good holster is key to carrying these safely.
    NWBoon, Hatch, WYO George and 2 others like this.
  2. Ge-Mini-gun

Ge-Mini-gun Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I’m a 1911 guy and always have been, so guns without thumb safety are “odd” to me. I purchased an S&W MP 2.0 compact with thumb safety to be a little brother to the full size 5” model I purchased last year and have been really happy with it, granted the trigger isn’t a 1911 but there are companies that make excellent triggers that are basically drop in, also there are a couple ways to make it better than those as well, also they are striker fired (no hammer). Both are great gun and the compact is more accurate than it should be…fairly cheap also.
  3. dmason

dmason goofball

Oddometer:
    Glock 26. Nearly disappears with the right holster. If you’re worried about an ND, carry it cocked but unloaded for a couple days. Note that the gun did not discharge during that time. It just won’t.

Hate to be that guy and say it, but you don’t need a manual safety, you need trigger discipline.

If I’m forced to draw my weapon, I want to know that the only thing required of me is pointing it and pulling the trigger. I also want to know that I can hit a six inch target at 7 yards with 100% consistency with my carry gun. I can do that with the 26. Couldn’t quite as consistently with the Glock 43 or S&W Shield.
    NWBoon, Hatch, ChromeSux and 3 others like this.
  4. IDScarecrow

IDScarecrow Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have an assortment of glocks but I like the Sig P365 better for compact carry. No hammer, but it is available with a safety.
  5. k-moe

k-moe Long timer

Oddometer:
    http://taudevgroup.com/scd
    Stobie likes this.
  6. Bappo

Bappo Long timer

Oddometer:
    And I'm that "other guy" who carries pistols with a safety. 1911, CZ, Sig P238, all with a safety. I do shoot competitively and am quite proficient in handling my firearms. I get better times and definitely better shot placement with my CZ P09 than I do with either a 35 or a 19 and the 35 is all gussied up.

It's all in what you are comfortable with and practiced in such that it is second nature.
    BCC, kbuckey and dmason like this.
  7. BigKev72

BigKev72 ANZAC

Oddometer:
    I’m a big glock fan, but I have a CZ P07 that I can’t help but to shoot better with. Still love my Glocks though.
    Stobie and Bappo like this.
  8. SnipTheDog

SnipTheDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For the peeps that carry Glocks, do you have a round in the chamber ready to fire? Or is it more of a rack and fire?
    NWBoon and Tmaximusv like this.
  9. WYO George

WYO George I have no idea

Oddometer:
    Full mag plus one in the chamber, same as any other mag fed handgun.
  10. tominboise

tominboise Long timer

Oddometer:
    What George said. Otherwise might as well have a club.
  11. dmason

dmason goofball

Oddometer:
    One in the pipe, spare mag in pocket in case a malfunction requires stripping the mag.
  12. dmason

dmason goofball

Oddometer:
    I definitely have guns that I shoot better than Glocks, but my 26 has never had a single malfunction of any kind. It’s the one I trust my life to to go bang.
    sieg likes this.
  13. BigKev72

BigKev72 ANZAC

Oddometer:
    I understand completely. I carried a model 22 daily as a duty pistol and had total faith in it.
  14. BigKev72

BigKev72 ANZAC

Oddometer:
    Full mag with one in the chamber.
    Barry and Backlund like this.
  15. Effendi

Effendi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Around 1985 I attended an invite only counter terrorism conference in London, official ID card entry only. The newly appointed importer for some toy tupperware pistol had taken a stand in the exhibition part of the conference. He had his stand set up: An 8 foot table with some cloth draped over it to his the wooden planks, in the middle of the table was a black tupperware like box (if you know the Gen 1's then you know what I mean) and on top of the box was a black plastic pistol. I mean, ....plastic, ......toys are made out of plastic,...........right!

I bent over the table looked at the offering and commented that they would never catch on. I wasn't the only one, learned discussions were had, beer coffee and tea were drunk as we discussed the possibility of such a thing ever catching on. We decided it would not, it was obviously this years fad and would fade away to obscurity like so many others had.

Oooooh, how wrong we experts were. Nowadays I own 2 x 34, 1 x 17, 1 x 19 and a Glock frame with an Advantage arms .22 conversion mounted.

The British Army buy them now too and it takes us forever and years of arse scratching, consideration and back peddling to get to a decision. So they must be good.

Get yourself a Glock 48, it is basically a single stack Glock 19 - minimal print and if you know what you are doing it'll get you out of a jam should you ever get into one.
    Tmaximusv likes this.
  16. Stobie

Stobie Mr. Motivated Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have one of these on my 19. No-brainer for someone like me who rides the hammer with his thumb as he holsters. Used as designed, these things would prevent the vast majority of ND's with Glocks.

Need to get one for my 43.
    k-moe likes this.
  17. dmason

dmason goofball

Oddometer:
    I honestly doubt most occur during holstering. I think they occur from people sitting around playing with their gun. Then they claim they were “cleaning” it out of embarrassment.
    IDScarecrow, sieg, Backlund and 3 others like this.
  18. Barnaby'sDad

Barnaby'sDad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This. I’ve lost track of how many videos of ND’s that I’ve seen over the years where someone had their finger resting on the trigger of a loaded and chambered handgun in a situation where it was not warranted. Some gems include giving lectures, demonstrations, or other scenarios where pulling the trigger was not an imminent necessity.

Magazine removed with a round “forgotten” in the tube...I can only imagine how many times that’s happened. I know of one incident (friend of the family) decades ago that got into a spat with his wife, pulled out his semi-automatic handgun...magazine removed, but round chambered...put the gun to his head, and asked his wife what she’d think if he blew his brains out.

Did he forget there was a round in the chamber or did he intend to kill himself? The conclusion was the former, but he was the only person that could have answered that question.
    Bappo likes this.
  19. Effendi

Effendi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Exactly!!! There is no way a Glock will go bang*, absolutely no way, unless the human operator squeezes, pull's, or otherwise manipulates the trigger whilst a live round is in the chamber. You can safely wave a Glock around all day (hopefully no one does) with a full magazine and one in the chamber as long as you do not touch the trigger.

Note: * Unless for some strange reason Sky Pixies are involved and sprinkle their magic dust.

The only time I have seen ND's is after either a lapse after a long day patrolling, or with recruits, or FNG's.

We used to have unloading bays outside most armoury's I ever used. Even if already unloaded you still went through the routine before going in and handing the weapon over to the arm's storeman.
  20. NWBoon

NWBoon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow! Those are very nice, good trade.