The I LOVE THIS GUN Thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by HiTechRedneck, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Noone

Noone Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sitting at a Cross Roads lookin' for a sign
    I never said hunting anything. The original discussion was about survival. Keep up.
  2. Noone

Noone Long timer

Oddometer:
    Almost. Shoot him then RUN. :lol3
    And send thoughts and prayers.
  3. NoelJ

NoelJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You guys get attacked by bears a lot?
  4. tominboise

tominboise Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's becoming more common in certain parts of the west, as the grizzly population continue to rebound. Common scenario is a hunter that is cleaning his game is run off by the grizzly coming to the gutpile. Sometimes the hunter doesn't hear them coming.
    k-moe likes this.
  5. Tmaximusv

Tmaximusv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Suburban Chicago this week a 5 yo girl was aggressively chased by a coyote in her front yard. Further comments will get this punted.
  6. WYO George

WYO George Epstein didn’t kill himself

Oddometer:
    Twice today and it’s not even lunch time yet.
  7. Fire Escape

Fire Escape Long timer

Oddometer:
    k-moe likes this.
  8. Noone

Noone Long timer

Oddometer:
    You have way too much time and need a hobby :)
  9. Noone

Noone Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is there such thing as being "non-aggressively" chased by a coyote? Inquiring minds.
  10. dmason

dmason goofball

Oddometer:
    It states up, down and sideways on the SOSS site that orders WILL take a minimum of 5-7 business days to ship.

I recently ordered a gun for less than every single other retailer on the internet from them, with FREE shipping, and lo and behold it shipped in 7 business days to my FFL, where it arrived two days later in perfect condition.

I have to call you out on this one, you threw a solid company with oftentimes unbeatable prices (and free shipping) under the bus for no reason.

Shop sober. Read the information provided. Save coin on your guns. Better luck next time.

ETA:

Here’s the link in case anyone else wants to take advantage of a stellar deal before its gone:

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/214886
    redrover and thebigman like this.
  11. Tmaximusv

Tmaximusv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Chicago region. Nuff said.
  12. scottcolbath

scottcolbath Long timer

Oddometer:
    Call away. I'm glad you had a good experience with them. Some people apparently do. But many do not.

It was some of the other things I read in the reviews on Resellerratings that ultimately scared me away. Did you bother to read any of the reviews in the link I included? I wouldn't say I threw them under the bus. The truth is out there. :D

And of course I should shop sober. That was my mistake.

S.C.
  13. scottcolbath

scottcolbath Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just checked my credit card, and they did return the amount for the gun purchase, so they do have that going for them.

S.C.
  14. k-moe

k-moe Long timer

Oddometer:
    The original discusion was about ony being able to have one gun; purpose was not mentioned.
    Last I heard survival requires food. :deal
  15. k-moe

k-moe Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're going to the wrong bar if there's bears after you.
    WYO George and NoelJ like this.
  16. dmason

dmason goofball

Oddometer:
    No I did not read the reviews, I completed a purchase. My first hand experience is worth more to me than a stranger’s post on the Internet. The truth is out there alright. I often read negative reviews where it’s clear that the reviewer didn’t read policy, or instructions, or didn’t comprehend what they were getting. I take them all with a very large grain of salt because, well, people are dumb.

Maybe you should try and do the same (actually buying something from them). After all, you were ultimately angry with them for adhering to their clearly published policy. Oh well, more for me I suppose.
    sieg likes this.
  17. Jarvis

Jarvis DC GSer Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Chill. Thx
  18. WARRIORPRINCEJJ

WARRIORPRINCEJJ Forsaken

Oddometer:
    I'll try to help a bit...

You guys are the weapons guys. So, in a thousand words or less, tell me about "Windham Weaponry". :ear

I'm interested in hearing about durability, reliability, etc.

*I'm "old school". So, all my AR-15/M4 variants are Colts. In a former life, I've toted A2's, M4's, and "Commando" 's. I've never "rolled my own", or bought anything other than those assembled in Hartford.
  19. 2twisted

2twisted NRTHJSTNRTH

Oddometer:
    I have a carbon WW , no issues. My son has a WW AR and also just built a pistol with WW parts.
    They are 1 town over from where I live, I've had friends that have worked there, good company.
    And a pic...

20190826_144032.jpg
  20. Fire Escape

Fire Escape Long timer

Oddometer:

You asked for 1,000 words or less so should I presume that you know the 'back story'? If so skip ahead!
    Bushmaster started out making parts in Windham, ME. They eventually went on to making assemblies and complete firearms. When it became fashionable for investment groups to buy up gun companies they were purchased, came under Remlin control and were moved away. Meanwhile the original owner still owned the physical plant and knew a number of people who were out of work after having chosen not to move to wherever Bushmaster went. Once his 'No-Compete' clause expired he decided to start over in the same place, with many of the same people - Windham Weaponry was born.

So, as to your question, all but the lower receiver of my first AR came as an assembled upper and parts kit (lowers were hard to come by in the 'pre-ban' panic, I managed to get one from Olympic) from the original Bushmaster company, my other AR came years later from the original Bushmaster. A close friend has Windham that he is quite happy with and were I to find myself wanting/needing another AR... that's where I would start looking. I have done enough assembling and parts swapping that I could 'build' my own, you are more than mechanical enough to do so. My question would be whether you want a configuration that isn't already sitting on a shelf or if you want to spend the time getting specific parts and putting them together. It can save you money and it can save you from buying something and then replacing many of the parts, whether that is worth it to you no one else can predict.

Bruce