The Icebergs and Whiskey tour

Discussion in 'Canada' started by drcool, Jun 11, 2012.

1. drcool

drcool R.I.P. Dave

Oddometer:
    Well Kiddies, here we are again. Time for some more Whiskey and some tall tales. :1drink

It was colder than I care to remember the last time I set out and I'm hoping for some better weather this time. I'm also very happy to be traveling with friends this time out. The Whiskey may take on different forms but Adam, Scott and I are focused on the Berg. Hell, we may need cooling for the beer chaser:freaky

It sounds like we are all in the throws of maintenance and tuneup regimes but there'll be no last minute crap.

So sit back and pour a short on of your favorite high test and come on along.

Who knows, we may even get Screached:wink:
    Drcool
  2. adiablolex

adiablolex Lost again

Oddometer:
    did somebody say whiskey? :clap

:freaky
  3. ScottDill

ScottDill TANSTAAFL Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  4. Groves

Groves Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This will be good! :lurk
  5. drcool

drcool R.I.P. Dave

Oddometer:
    Yup, we'll be chasin the good stuff. Maybe even some Canadian single malt:D

:loaded:loaded trip planning 101:freaky
    Fuckineh
    Drcool
  6. tat2

tat2 where's ya too?

Oddometer:
  7. ScottDill

Oddometer:
    "Screached"

Ahhh

[​IMG]

Whah?

[​IMG]
  8. drcool

drcool R.I.P. Dave

Oddometer:
    Fish are for eatin not smoochin.

Specially Cod, they're fookin ugly.

Double the Rhum rations Captain:freaky
    drcool
  9. Sewerat

Sewerat Cert. bike whore

Oddometer:
    Gotta keep my eye on this one.
  10. pixellman

pixellman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Newfoundland we coming ..

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RpShYvI84JI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  11. BigDaddy

BigDaddy not riding enough

Oddometer:
    Noticing a common theme.... less chicken in this ride I see.
  12. pixellman

pixellman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Titanic Water - what happened to the iceberg that sunk the Titanic?

Titanic. 14th April 1912. Struck an iceberg. Terrible shipping disaster in which many people died. Tragic, especially as their deaths could have been avoided. More lifeboats, less full-steam-ahead, and other precautions, might have saved people. But in the end it happened and the ship is at the bottom of the sea. Anyone looking for souvenirs from the Titanic, that great ship now part of legend, may have a hard time.

It's a well known fact what happened to the Titanic and where the remains of the ship are, but what happened to the ICEBERG? Where is that legendary iceberg now, probably the most notorious iceberg in the history of the human imagination?

Well it melted, of course. It was an iceberg and it was made of ice, and the ice melted into the sea after a while and it became mixed evenly with all the water of the oceans of the earth. It was a long time ago, and water on earth is continually recycled in the oceans, evaporating into clouds, falling as rain, streaming into rivers, flowing into the sea. The melting of the iceberg which sunk the Titanic happened such a long time ago that it has become evenly mixed into the earth's ecosystem, in the style of the Caesar's Last Breath phenomenon. So, every drop of rain that falls, and every source of ground water and every splash of sea water contains a small amount of "Titanic Water" from that iceberg.

Is this true? Let's check it: The iceberg would probably have weighed about 300 thousand tons. Mixing that with the entire water of the Earth including oceans, clouds, etc, a total of 1.4x1021 (exp) litres, that gives a concentration of one part in 4.7 million million.

Now, take a glass of water, tap water will do. If it's about half a litre it contains 1.7x1025 molecules of water. If one in every 4.7 million million is from the iceberg that sunk the Titanic, it means that the number of molecules of "Titanic Water" in an average glass of drinking water is: 3.6x1012 or 3.6 million million.

The same kind of concentration also applies to a glass of 12 year old malt Scotch whisky because the water came from the same ecosystem. It is a sobering thought that ice cubes floating in whisky contain molecules which were once part of the iceberg that sunk the Titanic, but it's a fact. If you wanted to have ice that didn't contain any "Titanic Water", you could achieve this by the curious irony of using ice from a modern iceberg! Any ice in icebergs now, for example from Greenland, has formed from snow which fell thousands of years ago. So, if you had a glass of old malt whisky with ice from an iceberg, the ice would contain no molecules from the iceberg that sunk the Titanic, whereas the whisky would do!
  13. pixellman

pixellman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We love chicks.:wink::wink:
  14. pixellman

pixellman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fcgssJNMhAw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  15. ScottDill

Oddometer:
    Good stuff Adam.
  16. drcool

drcool R.I.P. Dave

Oddometer:
    Whiskey and Cod just didn't roll off the tongue the way I'd hoped.

We won't forget the Whiskey that's for damn sure.
    Drcool

You should also be in touch early next week. Maybe ride out for a pint.
  17. Pay Dirt

Pay Dirt panning the web

Oddometer:

That's a friggin trout BYE!! I guess they done et all the cods!!
    I,m jonesing for this trip, cruiser to the Island will have to fill the need!
    :lurk

PD
  18. drcool

drcool R.I.P. Dave

Oddometer:
    Well I'm pretty sure the icebergs wouldn't survive this little warm spell we're experiencing. I'm actually looking forward to a bit of a cool down. It's bloody hard to enjoy a short glass of firewater with the alcohol flashing faster than you can drink it.

On a bright note the iceberg trackers are telling of an abnormally good year to follow the bergs so we shouldn't have a problem chilling our tumblers. Maybe Adam can post the linky so you can all follow along.

I've packed, repacked and done it again so I say to hell with it. Light the bird and start the countdown.:1drink I'm ready to get the heck out of this inferno. The dr is currently not so cool.

Chill out dudes, it's almost ridin time:clap
    Drcool
  19. RumRunner

RumRunner Sit there, turn that

Oddometer:
    Ya betta pack yer wollens, I'm not seeing much better than 13-15 on theRock for a spell:D A bit nicer than your BlueRidge ride:rofl

Here's to all the Moose being in your rearview.

DW
  20. firefighter651

firefighter651 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well if you hit North Sydney the coffee is my treat.