The IT465 and IT490 thread

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by dawid, Mar 10, 2008.

1. NortwestRider

NortwestRider TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer:
    Can someone tell me where the VIN plate is on a 83 IT490 ??.

I know a lot about a few things,a little about a lot of things but I don't know everything about anything !!.
  2. YZEtc

YZEtc Feel lucky?

Oddometer:
    Stamped into the frame on the steering head part of the frame, which is where the steering stem passes through.
    The digits are stamped directly into the steel of the frame and has 17 digits on USA models.
  3. NortwestRider

Oddometer:
    My steering is bare and smooth,rusty also!!

I know a lot about a few things,a little about a lot of things but I don't know everything about anything !!.
  4. Mr. Carts

Mr. Carts Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My IT465 has a 9 digit VIN number.
  5. YZEtc

YZEtc Feel lucky?

Oddometer:
    That's how they were before adopting the 17-digit system.
    My AT-2 was the same way.
  6. YZEtc

YZEtc Feel lucky?

Oddometer:
    Don't sound too good.
  7. NortwestRider

Oddometer:
    I have a title but I guess I can't verify it .

8. NortwestRider

Oddometer:

9. wfopete

wfopete Suffer Fools; Gladly!

Oddometer:
    Bought this orphaned 82 IT465 home. Hope it's not rabid. Fudugly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    dtysdalx2 likes this.
  10. NortwestRider

Oddometer:
    That looks great compared to mine when I brought it home !!.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Live life,be yourself !!!!.
  11. NortwestRider

Oddometer:
    Anybody know if a 82 YZ250 tank will bolt onto a 83 IT490 ??.

Live life,be yourself !!!!.
  12. Mr. Carts

Mr. Carts Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  13. NortwestRider

Oddometer:
  14. LWC3077

LWC3077 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That tank is a Malcolm Smith brand.
  15. Recondotexas

Recondotexas n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi folks, would any of you know if there is a air filter element guide that fits the 82 IT465 besides the stock piece? Thanks in advance.
  16. olec

olec Rookie

Oddometer:
    Hi guys!

Bought 1982 IT465(J) a couple of weeks ago and currently fixing all the lights and stuff to make it street legal here in Norway. They are very picky at the traffic authorities but it helps that I imported it from Sweden and there it already had plates on it. The PO had used it mainly for vet MX and it is a hybrid like 43mm YZ forks and YZ rear suspension, YZ swingarm (longer) and some YZ gearbox parts (still 5 gears) as the YZ were stronger and he had issues with the IT gearbox breaking a couple of times.

He had also removed most wiring harness and just kept the needed stuff to get a spark. So I am replacing all electrical things together with lights and have run into some problems.

If you could help me with the following, I had been superhappy:

- I have the original owners manual and a woring diagram but this is not correct as my bike do has a 6V regulator and a rectifier and also a battery on the backside of the rear side-numberplate (very bad place because of all the mud slung from the rear tire). I do not now how to connect the reg / rec as all those things are left out from the wiring diagram. From the stator, all the cables for the ignition coil and CDI are going in thea direction, also including the kill switch, but what is left are two wires: one blue and one yellow/green. I am measuring AC voltage around 3-4V AC over those two on fast idle. WHen I craxy rev the bike, I am able to measure 9-10VAC over those two wires. I am in the end looking for converting everything to 12V DC but first I have to get the original 6V system connected and working. Any tips are helpful.

- Muffler. I have both stock pipe and muffler but also a retro rocket pipe and a dep muffler. The aftermarket is more quiet. But I have to show my bike with stock setup to get the plates. The muffler confuses me as it is only about 10cm maximum of thos pipe I can remove with sound dampening foam around it. What it left in the rather huge and bulky stock muffler? Is it just emty space or does the gases go in some sort of labirynth in there? Do you have any tips to make it a bit more quiet, like welding a washer with small inner hole in it or similar?

Thanks in advance! Picture will come later.

/olec from Norway
  17. EsconDeasy

EsconDeasy Ectomorph

Oddometer:
    I can help with the second question I think. The stock IT muffler uses no packing. It uses as you say a labyrinth to cut the noise.
  18. Chappy58

Chappy58 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I picked up 2 Yamaha 490's this week - a 1983 YZ and a 1984 IT. I went and bought the YZ first. It was a good distance away, and cheap. By the time I got there it was getting dark, and I had already convinced myself I was buying it. So it looked worse than the pictures, but what the hell I'm looking for a project. The tank is in real nice shape, very clean. The pipe is good, seat has a new cover. When I got it home and really looked it over, the list of parts I was going to need was getting stupid long. I mean this bike had been ridden, a LOT. I went to lift it up on a stand, and I had to lift it about 2" before the back wheel started to move. I have never seen so much play in a linkage system. Okay, that's all bad. Take the pipe off, and out comes a 1/2 cup of water- not looking good. Pull the head- hey the piston is new looks like it came out of a box last week. All shiny aluminum- cool. Wait- the cylinder is rusty, just surface, but it is 4th OS already. so much for the new piston. Pull the reeds and look into the crank it's wet but not with fuel. Damn. The fork tubes are pitted under the rubber covers. the shock has literally no oil, just a bouncer. Started looking at parts, prices, getting discouraged.
    Then I thought about a 84 IT 490 also on craigslist. He was asking $750, and the pics were not impressive at all. Lots of missing parts, but what the hell, not too far away. I went and looked at it. Good compression, shifted ok. New DG pipe and silencer, and the forks ( same P/N as the 83 yz) looked to be fine. So I offered him $300 and he took it. Bring another 490 home, and start tearing it down. Piston & cylinder OK. It's on 4th os also, so I think I'll take this cylinder and that piston and see if I cant make something work out here. Will have to do a bit of investigating to see what is compatible beyond the forks.

What I'd like to end up with is a cross between the 2 bikes. I have a 2008 KTM XC 250, and that bike is a mix of the enduro and the mx bikes, and it suits me fine. Equally at home on the track or the woods. Not the best at both, but good enough for me. So what is the best site for 490 information? OIs there one?

Chappy

Attached Files:

19. mudmantra

mudmantra Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    By 4th OS, do you mean Yamaha piston? I think that's 1mm oversize. Wiseco Has them 1.5 and 2mm oversize piston too. What size is the cylinder at now?
  20. Chappy58

Chappy58 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's 89 mm. I took a look on their website- I see pistons ranging form 87mm to 89mm in .5 mm increments. Both my bikes are at 89mm. I suppose I could get a sleeve, but a a bigger piston would be the way to go if I can find one.

I was able to do that with my Montesa 250. Southwest Montesa had availble some pistons that went beyond the factories last OS. Worked like a charm.