1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

The IT465 and IT490 thread

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by dawid, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Earthmovin490s

Earthmovin490s Adventurer

Oddometer:
  2. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. Earthmovin490s

Oddometer:
    brucifer likes this.
  4. Earthmovin490s

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the find also! It looks like you have a great platform with that one. Keep us posted!
    brucifer likes this.
  5. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ya know, I clicked over on that one from the link you provided and just saw the yellow and thought---no. Completely overlooked the options.
    Thanks again!

Thanks man, I appreciate it!
    I definitely will. Got a thread started on it. http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...troke-ill-finally-keep.1265878/#post-33617792
  6. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Leave it out here in nor cal in my shed,fly out and ride it. We have trails that go for ever close to town.
  7. MxFan69

MxFan69 Im so happy

Oddometer:
    Need to bump this awesome thread as Im in the market and need to start reading/learning more about the '81 YZ 465 or even a nice IT 465.
  8. jaredcminnick

jaredcminnick n00b

Oddometer:
    Good evening all,

My son was given an 1982 IT 465 as parting gift from his boss. Awesome! It is is ok shape and runs well. It has been sitting in a seatrain for 12 years. We rolled it out, cleaned it up pulled the gas tank and carb and cleaned them out, checked the oil and kicked it 3 Times and it fired right up! Drive it around for a bit.

My son has promptly disassembled it and is in the process of repainting, buying new seals and bearings, and other items. I am.pretty proud it's the first time he's ever done anything like this.

Anyway, we want to upgrade the brakes, throttle and clutch cable if possible. We would.like.to put discs on it, and aside from using a newer model front end, is anyone aware of a aftermarket kit to swap the drums out? I imagine it requires a new front / Rear wheel, if so what would swap in pretty easy.

Thanks

Attached Files:

9. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's no kit other than a fork swap. Properly tuned the dual leading show drum is a competent item. It'll never outbrake a disc but holds it's own. I used a Gunnar Gasser throttle and Motion Pro cable on my '80 YZ465. The OEM clutch cable is obsolete. Motion Pro makes a replacement.

A shock service is a good idea. I run '82 YZ forks on my '80 with RaceTech cartridge emulators and springs. One of the best upgrades I've done.
  10. Norty01

Norty01 Occupant

Oddometer:
    The 1980 YZ 465G had smaller forks that twisted easier, an electronic issue when on the rear brake hard, and slight porting changes.
    The 1981 465 H model had larger 43mm forks, a reworked ignition that didn't kill spark when the bike was "impending rear wheel skid", and cylinder porting changes that made more midrange and topend thrust.
    Because of the heavier forks (and more fork oil cap'y,) the weight went up 3 or 4 lbs from 1980MY.

The difference between the YZ and the IT?

The YZ is built strictly for competition. The electrics are not designed to power lamps, like the IT is.
    The IT weighs more, and has a larger fuel tank. the gearing is wider ratio'd for the IT.
    The engines differ by porting and comp ratio. The IT has more low-end and midrange at the expense of the topend rush of the YZ.
    The weight difference between the 2 models is about 25 lbs, give or take.
    MxFan69 likes this.
  11. jaredcminnick

jaredcminnick n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I am looking at the front end swap...
  12. WaaX

WaaX n00b

Oddometer:
    I bought a used 1980 fork (38mm) from ebay and the top cap were in a very bad shape. I got them off but now I need to replace them. Original caps are expensive (45$ each off ebay) and I'm looking for a cheaper alternative. I found those on ebay for 39$ for the pair: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/FRONT-FORK-...XJ400-38MM-ADJUSTABLE-FORK-BOLT-/253202753735

The manual state that the air pressure in the fork should be 0lbs, so I don't need the air valve, right? Do you think the one I found would work?

Thanks
  13. wfopete

wfopete Suffer Fools; Gladly!

Oddometer:
    Might want to research that OEM fork spring some. According to Race Tech the OEM fork spring was a .34 kg/mm spring and was designed to be run with 3-4 psi. I bought RT springs and they are designed to be run with 0 psi and are quite differant than OEM.
    just sayin'
  14. flinders_72

flinders_72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bought this yesterday. It's a US import. Don't know what I'll do with it long term but at this early stage I'm happy to look it over and fix any niggles and go for the odd ride here and there when the mood takes me. Only just got it home so it's dark outside. Rear tyre's new but the front one looks almost as old as the bike.

019.jpg
  15. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice!
    flinders_72 likes this.
  16. flinders_72

flinders_72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! It's not perfect (which means I can tinker with it :deal ) but it's pretty good and all the really costly bits are pretty much perfect. Here's a couple of daylight pics.

015.jpg
    056.jpg
  17. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks even better in the daylight! :thumb
    flinders_72 likes this.
  18. Piggdekk

Piggdekk love speed, hate rush

Oddometer:
    On a 500 2T You don't expect to need the front tire so often
  19. Earthmovin490s

Oddometer:
    Been a while since anything has been posted here. I figured i would see if there anything new in the thread. I was out in my garage, tinkering with my IT490 and WR200 and the weather here in PA is just about to riding season. I'll get some pictures of both bikes up here as soon as possible!
    Mak10 likes this.
  20. FullTiltBoogieMoto

FullTiltBoogieMoto "Mr. State Trooper, please don't stop me"

Oddometer:
    738B13FB-CDBA-453E-B250-BC0756E98B72.jpeg 2712C42A-3E89-498A-8FD6-5CA244FDD815.jpeg
    Please do post some pictures of your IT490. We’re still working on our IT465 restoration. It’s a rolling chassis now. Needs electrical work, plastics, controls, and tires.
    Earthmovin490s and flinders_72 like this.