The IT465 and IT490 thread

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by dawid, Mar 10, 2008.

1. DBM

DBM Let's Just Ride!!

Oddometer:
    :raabia
    flinders_72 likes this.
  2. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Just glad to be here.

Oddometer:
    Sure would like to find a white 465. Cheap. What a cool restoration that would be. Get some disc brakes etc....:1drink
    Earthmovin490s likes this.
  3. TravelDoc

TravelDoc Day Tripper

Oddometer:
    Been sitting in a guys bedroom for years!
    Looks like some cosmetic “work” to make it look more valuable. Vinyl tank cover, spray can painting. Lots of small details need attention. So far the biggest issue is rubber inlet manifold perished with plenty holes.
    D14DDF36-892E-4ED4-8BB0-C887F8040D54.jpeg
    assquatch20 and flinders_72 like this.
  4. assquatch20

assquatch20 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm seriously considering buying one of these and making a roadgoing supermoto out of it. I've found a local one that's set up as a YZ with a 510 jug and stuff on it right now but the seller says he has all the IT parts, including a 465 jug and carb and whatnot. It has some weird brackets on the frame though, not sure what those are about. They look like frame sliders to protect the swingarm or huge passenger peg mounts or something. I'd like to find a cush hub from back then that would swap in easy but I highly doubt there's such a thing. It would be nice for the sake of the transmission. Also concerned about crankcase/kicker shaft damage.

There are probably better candidates among the big old smoker bikes but they're all hard to find. If I were to do this right now it would be between the IT465 or a 2006 KDX200 that's for sale for about the same price. There's maybe other options within a couple hundred miles but those two are in good enough shape that I think I could just get to work making either one into a supermoto. What would you do?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    flinders_72 likes this.
  5. flinders_72

flinders_72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've never had a supermoto but I'd think it depends on where you'll ride it mostly. More grunt might equal more fun, most of the time. I know it does in my area, where roads are long and straight.
    assquatch20 likes this.
  6. assquatch20

assquatch20 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think either would be a little unwieldy here being 2 stroke. It's fairly curvy, though there is a 2 mile straight by my house. Having no engine braking on the downhills and worrying about seizure are issues but I still like the idea. Heck, Eddie Lawson did alright on a 490 in some Superbikers events so it was competitive at the time with the right setup. I don't really intend to be on the dirt, but those Superbiker machines are part of the inspiration.
    flinders_72 likes this.