The Kentucky Adventure Tour (KAT)

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States' started by Jeff@TheQuadShop, Sep 12, 2013.

?

How much would you estimate that you spent each day (average) while riding the KAT?

1. 0-25

7 vote(s)
    7.4%
  2. 26-50

18 vote(s)
    18.9%
  3. 50-75

23 vote(s)
    24.2%
  4. 75-100

23 vote(s)
    24.2%
  5. 100-125

13 vote(s)
    13.7%
  6. 125-150

10 vote(s)
    10.5%
  7. 150+

3 vote(s)
    3.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ridewhat

ridewhat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good point.
  2. dstutz

dstutz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jeff...3 guys (DR650, DRZ400, 701) planning to go CCW start/end point is Matewan, WV, driving down tomorrow, will start the route Sat morning.

Just north of hard 10 you have 3 "close gate" waypoints. What does that mean?

The PDF for turkey foot campground (https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprd3827494.pdf) says the section of turkey foot rd (which is main loop) between campground and Macedonia is closed, any idea if that's the case (not that it really matters, can detour around using Lime Kiln Ridge)?

Am guessing the creeks will be up...seems it's been raining a bit each day

Do you know if the tree has been cleared on Hard 4 towards the end (CCW)? You reference it in your Renfro DS video hard 4 part 3.
    Jeff@TheQuadShop likes this.
  3. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:

It means to make sure that you close the gate once you go through.

It is officially closed, unofficially a bike can get around it. LOL

Most crossings are just run off creeks that go down pretty fast after a down poor but there are some main creeks that can still be up like the Rock Castle river.

I sure don't, I haven't been through there since. If you guys are running knobby tires, you can probably get around it ok working together.
    dstutz likes this.
  4. dstutz

dstutz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I kinda figured that's what that meant, but figured I'd ask. Probably one of those things that's obvious once you're in front of it.

I figured the 4 "deep creek" waypoints you have are the ones to watch out the most for...

Guess we'll let you know if we go through that way...

Thanks for all you do for this route and thread!
  5. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the ones that are marked as way points are the ones that can stay up for days or weeks after big rains.
    dstutz likes this.
  6. dstutz

dstutz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2 glorious, challenging, sweaty, muddy, "oh fuck", "this is awesome", "what were we thinking?", "Are you okay " filled days in and we're heading to Ride City in hazard to hopefully procure some spare parts. We are running CCW. Made it to Slade on first long day, encountered a locked and very well blocked gate heading west on the lower part of hard 10 and had to wind our way out, did 10a, 11, 1, 1a, 2 and started in on 3 about 2/3 way in towards 89 hit 2 trees blocking trail and the creek bed so really no go around, saw a bunch of other bike tracks that turned around, a bit demoralizing but we visited beattyville for second time. Gonna see how it goes at the parts counter and nurse sore spots... Having a blast. You people riding this solo have more skills/balls than us!

Oh and turkey foot Rd, IS closed just past the campground, so main route would have to detour around it for now.
  7. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the heads up, I'll try and figure out what's going on with that gate.
    PYG RYDR and dstutz like this.
  8. ClutchDumpinDan

ClutchDumpinDan Go do

Oddometer:
    That sounds familiar :lol3

And it only gets better! Jeff really put together an unbelievable route.
    B-Mac, dstutz, EBR458 and 1 other person like this.
  9. dstutz

dstutz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a waypoint of the one blocking the route, we tried to take that road back east but the other way was hated exactly the same way with huge boulders blocking the sides, probably wouldn't stop Jarvis but it stopped us. Also have a waypoint for the singletrack tree. That'll have to wait until I get home unless you want coords.

We spent the middle of the day at ride center USA. Super great guys, they know you. Did everything they could for us and we left in good enough shape, back on track today and at least enjoyed the renfro loop by s-tree camp. Stayed clean enough to camp tonight so we haven't been lugging around the gear for nothing. Headed to koa in renfro since we aren't equipped for bear country.

Seriously Jeff, this ride is amazing. We've avoided all the marked deep Creek crossings so far and plan to continue the same.

Oh, one more thing. We did hard 11 yesterday, the "road" down at the South end was gnarly as shit. We had just gotten all three bikes down and up the "narrows" climb when a SxS with three teenage girls crawls up and makes it look easy, asked about the ledges and they said hadn't been there in a while, so we trudged on started some climbs after the right turn and all of a sudden I noticed the waypoint was behind us. I don't know what the hell they did but it is nothing like your video now. Almost seems like they covered it all up with soil. It's still challenging but there were no ledges. Now, the gatekeeper is a whole nother story...
    Jeff@TheQuadShop and SpeedyR like this.
  10. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    Interesting, did it look like fresh dirt covering the spot up?
  11. dstutz

dstutz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We think it was the orangey stuff but there were still some rocks poking out to go over/dodge but it wasn't solid steps up. Sorry, like I said I didn't realize we were past it until we were, was too busy hanging on for life.

Good news on hard 4, the tree at the bottom end is still there but someone cut out enough to get through. Coming down the hill I stopped where it was obvious people were going down the bank and it looked like the tree was completely blocking the path from that spot. Then I walked down the go around and was thinking there was no way our bikes were gonna get back up when I saw it was trimmed. So glad I walked it before dropping down. There is a really shitty gate at the bottom when we were coming out but it was super easy to go around: IMG_20190625_131313.jpg

We took the deep Creek bypass, weren't even gonna try that one but went down to the water on the other side, holy shit:
    IMG_20190625_095649.jpg

There were two other crossings that weren't marked but were too deep, we had to go around.

We lost our third guy the morning of day 3 and the second is talking about skipping more stuff already but *I'm* not giving in. today was a slog, just felt like we weren't going anywhere. I swear we went through Livingston like 4 times.

We're in Stearns so almost ready to start heading back North East, I believe this section is faster/easier?
    B-Mac likes this.
  12. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    Stearns to Jellico has a bunch of gravel and Hard 6 is a lot of fun!
  13. dstutz

dstutz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    6 and 7 were great! Made it to Harlan. We kinda lost the track on the last section of gravel before Harlan that turns off 987. A quad was tooling through with a couple on it and we laid chase... They picked up the pace and we raced through with them and came out by Yancey onto 72, still a lot of fun. We encountered a down tree fairly early on South end of hard 7 but we're able to move the smaller pieces and leaned the bikes over to get under the big one. Here's the tree and another couple random shots:
    MVIMG_20190626_160029.jpg
    IMG_20190626_125859.jpg
    IMG_20190626_123928.jpg
    Diddly, EBR458, i4bikes and 3 others like this.
  14. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    Nice!!! I like the hill climb at the beginning of H7
  15. dstutz

dstutz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm happy with the CCW direction, the climbs at first seem daunting but pretty much as long as you keep some momentum the bike tractors up. I can't imagine going the other way on some of them like the bottom of hard 11 and 1a. Definitely showing that the bike (and Rider) are more capable than one would initially think. As they say down here, I think we're fixin' to finish up the route today, but man Jeff this is a sweet trip. Thanks for all the effort putting this together and keeping it going.

We stayed at the big South fork motor Lodge 2 nights ago and it seems some dude from Chicago now owns it as of a week ago. I told him about the KAT and said he should expect some more dirty bikers. He didn't have any hair dryers but when I told him why I wanted he said he'd just get some boot dryers for the future so that would be cool.
  16. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    Glad you guys had fun! That's good to know about the lodge, I'll add it in as a waypoint.
    blrfjr and Kymtnman like this.
  17. dstutz

dstutz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Meh, I tried
    IMG_20190627_200920.jpg
    McCoy hard hill at the end of the trip yesterday. Was already in the process of getting pointed back down.

The first part of that track needs some serious trimming back of the bushes, was horrible.

I've got another disappearing/blocked part of the route I'll send you a waypoint for after I get home.

Looking forward to a few easy days resting. Thanks again Jeff, amazing work.
  18. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:

Morning Jeff. I notice you're in Crestwood...I live near Springhurst and the Summit. Do you ever go up to Barrett on Tuesday or Wednesday nights? I'd love to buy you a beer and chat with you sometime about the KAT. Something I always wanted to do but I'm too road focused right now. I need to get back to the dirt that I started from.
  19. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    That hill is harder than it looks for sure!

Yeah, this time of year there are several areas that will grow up. It's all part of riding off road.
  20. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'm about 3 miles down 22 from you before you get to Crestwood. I've never been there but I've certainly heard about it, I'd be more than happy to have a chat with you!