The Kentucky Adventure Tour (KAT)

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States' started by Jeff@TheQuadShop, Sep 12, 2013.

?

How much would you estimate that you spent each day (average) while riding the KAT?

1. 0-25

7 vote(s)
    7.1%
  2. 26-50

19 vote(s)
    19.2%
  3. 50-75

25 vote(s)
    25.3%
  4. 75-100

23 vote(s)
    23.2%
  5. 100-125

13 vote(s)
    13.1%
  6. 125-150

10 vote(s)
    10.1%
  7. 150+

4 vote(s)
    4.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. txmxrider

txmxrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info Jeff! Three of us are planning to ride the KAT the week of Oct 5-13.

Btw I had a miserable/great time at the Renfrow Valley DS ride this year LOL! I started getting worried as soon as I pulled into the KOA and saw that pretty much every bike there was a Euro two stroke or KTM enduro model. Then about 2 minutes into the first muddy uphill it was clear that I'd brought a knife to a gunfight. Miss Piggy (my WR250 with DOT tires) struggled in the muck but in those rare moments where the rear wheel actually stayed behind the front wheel and I wasn't fighting for dear life to stay upright it really was a lot of fun! I survived both days and even rode a few of the hard sections. You guys did a great job putting on the event, especially considering all the rain. I'm already looking forward to doing it again next year.
    motorrad junkie and i4bikes like this.
  2. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    The dirt on Saturday was actually in pretty good shape compared to most years. Sunday on the other hand was muddy! LOL
    Hats off to you for completing both days with DOT tires!!!
  3. ClutchDumpinDan

ClutchDumpinDan Go do

Oddometer:
    I prefer my iPhone with the PocketEarth app for my dual sport/off road riding. Have it used for the KAT, TAT and countless other tracks. Also great for hiking...or hiking out of an unexpected situation :augie
  4. dstutz

dstutz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update. Not expecting re-routes for every little problem, the trees/TF Rd bit was more of an FYI for other people heading out soon so they know what to expect.

Oh yeah, Jeff, one more Q. Hard 9...we were sort of wondering what makes that one a hard since that seemed to be not that challenging compared to some of the main loop stuff. We hit that last day and it had finally dried out for a 2-3 days so maybe that? The initial climb?

LOL, you are describing my experience with the Durty Dabbers DS (AMA Dual Sport series) June 1-2 this year. My friend and I showed up with 701/DRZ400 and MOST people are riding plated 2T euro bikes, we're like..."greeaaaaaaat". It was muddy but amazingly not that bad, we just stayed off the hard options. Some of the main loop KAT was more challenging though I'd say.

I've gotta get off my ass and get the pictures uploaded so I can start putting RR together...Jeff, an amazing route. One of our group left after 2 days, the other was talking about skipping stuff on 3rd-4th but once we got out of DB forest and it dried out he stopped complaining. I kept telling him that's the muddiest/shittiest part of the route and to just hunker down. Now he's telling me 3 days is a good trip length, I won't bother driving 8 hrs each way for 3 days! I just need to get him to forget about it until next year when I'd like to do CannonShot's UPAT. Thanks again man, so much fun and the routes/tracks were pretty much on-point.

Damn, just remembered one more thing...(Which I made a post and then promptly deleted cause once I switched to Google's Sat view it was obvious there's a lot of roads in that area and I just missed a turn.)
  5. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    Yeah, Hard 9 is pretty easy when dry but when it's wet that stuff is super slick and balls your tires up.

Thanks! I've road some of the UPAT, it is an absolute blast. Make sure you run knobbies on that one too as there is lots of deep sand.
    dstutz likes this.
  6. mac20

mac20 AVL OG

Oddometer:
    Planning on doing the KAT in October with another ADV inmate, just want to thank Jeff for the route and videos.
    Jeff@TheQuadShop likes this.
  7. ramblin_man

ramblin_man The goal: to get lost. 1200 GSA & 500 EXC.

Oddometer:
    Great pictures. Appears ya'll had great weather too.
    Jeff@TheQuadShop likes this.
  8. SpeedyR

SpeedyR SE in the SE

Oddometer:
    Headed to Jellico. Looks like a slight change of plans, headed CCW from Jellico and see if we can avoid the heavy rains till later in the ride. Will post updates about trail conditions if anyone cares.
    Jeff@TheQuadShop and mac20 like this.
  9. 75bronco

75bronco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any tips on downloading to an iphone using gaia?
    GPX files usually download seamlessly but these tracks do not. Thanks
  10. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    I don't use Gaia, Motion X has worked flawless for me.
    andso77 likes this.
  11. Diddly

Diddly Bored of Directors

Oddometer:
    They downloaded to Gaia for me. Try zooming in to see if the tracks ‘turn on’.
  12. 75bronco

75bronco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nope. Its strange since i download gox tracks all the time.
  13. Brown3690

Brown3690 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had the same problem. I had to let Gaia process for a while and then they were visible. Took a minute or so.
  14. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    Howdy folks. Plans are to hit the road around the middle of September for my winter travels westward. Thinking I might swing by and hit some of the KAT on my way though. Can anyone recommend a RV park or campground off 75 that's handy access to the trail?

Peace
  15. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    KOA in Renfro Valley
    RozzyCat likes this.
  16. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    Thanks Jeff
  17. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    As Jeff said KOA, I've camped there and the Renfro Valley RV park. > http://www.renfrovalley.com/rv-park/ and Lake Linville Campground.
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  18. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
  19. RozzyCat

RozzyCat Bleeds orange Supporter

Oddometer:
    ONLY 16???? Geez we're gonna need a boat for that one! Thanks for taking the time and effort to keep the KAT fresh and exciting for all to enjoy @Jeff@TheQuadShop.
  20. rkdwp

rkdwp Axel Anderson Supporter

Oddometer:
    what’s the latest in the season this route is doable? I’d love to this year but won’t have time until maybe November.