The Kentucky Adventure Tour (KAT)

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States' started by Jeff@TheQuadShop, Sep 12, 2013.

?

How much would you estimate that you spent each day (average) while riding the KAT?

1. 0-25

11 vote(s)
    9.8%
  2. 26-50

19 vote(s)
    17.0%
  3. 50-75

29 vote(s)
    25.9%
  4. 75-100

25 vote(s)
    22.3%
  5. 100-125

16 vote(s)
    14.3%
  6. 125-150

10 vote(s)
    8.9%
  7. 150+

4 vote(s)
    3.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. mac20

mac20 AVL OG

Oddometer:
    Wondering the same, another inmate and I plan to start in Appalachia Oct. 13th going counter clockwise with Hard secs. Will try to make Matewan, Jackson, Beattyville, London, Williamsburg, and Jellico each night hopefully.
    Jeff@TheQuadShop likes this.
  2. B-Mac

B-Mac Aged Beef Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mac20, Please video or photo Hard 9 and let me know how it is. I know it's big bike friendly when dry and I have done the main three times but next month I will most likely be riding down to Appalachia on main 4 alone riding a big bike before turning east to Damascus, VA. on the ADV connector route. I want to hit that section H9 and would like a recent report. Thanks in advance and enjoy the route it is great.
    Brian
    mac20 likes this.
  3. txmxrider

txmxrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info Jeff! I'll update my schedule and post it here so others will have it. Also, when the trip is through, I'll do a follow up to indicate any variations that we made to schedule as we went along.
    Canoeman and Jeff@TheQuadShop like this.
  4. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    A great video between Slade and Pikeville going clockwise...

dstutz, rkdwp and PYG RYDR like this.
  5. txmxrider

Oddometer:
    Gear is packed, bike is serviced, and all is ready to go for this Saturday. I plan to run both MotionXgps on an Iphone and the KAT tracks on a Garmin Montana 600. I know, Why have both?, you're asking. I'm just anal that way. But I have a bit of an issue with the Garmin and I'm hoping the collective wisdom here can help me out. I spent considerable time this weekend messing with the device and with Basecamp, spent time searching this and other threads, and even spent over an hour working with the Garmin support center, and have had no luck resolving the issue. Here's the problem. Using Main 1 as an example, when I view the gpx tracks on Basecamp it shows the primary route as a green line and all the diverging hard sections as red lines. But after I transfer the KAT file from Basecamp to the Garmin, then go to "tracks" on the Garmin and select "Main 1", I only see the green primary route. It doesn't show me where the red hard sections split off. I can then go back to "tracks" list and select "Hard 3" and see just that red section just fine, but then I can't see Main 1. So the end result is that if I'm following Main 1 on the Garmin I'd ride right past the Hard 3 split off because it won't show up on the display. The guy at Garmin suggested that I got to Basecamp and use the coordinates for the start of Hard 3 and mark that as a waypoint in the Main 1 tracks and then when I'm riding I would see the flag and know to toggle from Main 1 tracks to Hard 3 tracks. But to manually find and mark the starting waypoints for all of the hard sections and all of the bypasses is a lot more work than I want to tackle. Has anyone else seen this and have an easy work around? Otherwise I'll just depend on MotionX and keep the Garmin for extra ballast. It's so hard to keep the front wheel down on these WR 250Rs LOL!!

Thanks!
  6. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    You're not the first person that has had this issue, my buddy @KentuckyWR had the same issue with his Montana a few months ago on a ride that we were on. Funny thing is when we rode the Tour or Idaho last year, all of the tracks showed up just fine in different colors. I'm not sure if he ever figured it out.
    Make sure that you down load the map area on Motion X so that it will work when you have no cell signal.
  7. dstutz

dstutz Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Montana can display all the tracks at once. And you can color them so the main route can be one and the hards can be another if you want. Go into the track manager, tap the track and you can toggle visibility ("Show on Map") and set the color, easy peasy. I'm pretty sure whatever color it's set to in Basecamp will be the default it's set to on the GPS but don't quote me on that. I used a 610 myself this summer, no issues whatsoever!

To add, This is not the same, but similar to how it's done on the Montana:

Oh, and on the Montana you can even "Navigate a track" and have it give you distance to "turns" as well as distance to the end.
  8. txmxrider

Oddometer:

Hello dstutz,

Ha! Thanks man! That did the trick. I was just in the process of writing back to say that it didn't work for me, that the default setting was already set to Show on Map, when it occurred to me that maybe I shouldn't assume that's a default setting and press the option anyway. Sure enough, when I selected Show on Map the menu then changed to Hide on Map. Now when I go to Map and zoom in I have everything I need. So the moral of the story is that if the menu shows Show on Map it's really using the Hide on Map option. And if the menu shows Hide on Map it's actually doing a Show on Map. I fail to understand the logic there but hey it works so I can live with it.

In case anyone is reading this in the future, on the Montana 600 I got to these settings by starting at the "home" screen (shows Map and Where To options), then select the ^ widget, then select Track Manager, and from there you can set the color and the hide or show options.

Many thanks!
    dstutz and Jeff@TheQuadShop like this.
  9. dstutz

dstutz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Happy you got it worked out. Now go enjoy Jeff's hard work!
  10. rkdwp

rkdwp Axel Anderson Supporter

Oddometer:
    Two guys from New York heading out this Sunday. I'm on a Husky 501 and my buddy on a 701. Gear is (mostly) packed and bikes are (mostly) serviced. We're starting in Slade, leaving the vehicles at Lil Abner, and plan to ride counter-clockwise, hitting all the hard sections. We're both pretty good with navigation so don't anticipate many issues there, and it looks as if it's been pretty dry lately so hoping the water crossings aren't too high. (I hate water crossings, due to previous misadventures - my buddy loves them, so I'll let him find the lines :raindance).

Two questions:

1. Is there any reason to run one clockwise vs counter? It doesn't seem like it, and our thinking is that we'll hit most of the hard sections earlier in the week, so if we need to make up time it may be easier on the eastern half of the loop, but someone let me know if that assumption is off.

2. It looks like camping should be easy on the western half, but once we start heading east, is it possible to just pull off and find a spot for the night? or are we going to have trouble with that? We'd like to camp every night, conditions permitting.

Anyway, we're super excited. Thanks for taking the time to create this thing @Jeff@TheQuadShop - I think we're gonna have a blast!
  11. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    It has been super dry so the creeks are way down. We are supposed to be getting some rain tonight and sunday/monday hopefully.

1. You are correct, it really doesn't make a difference which direction that you run. More hard sections are on the west side so your idea makes since.

2. You will be perfectly fine camping pretty much anywhere, there are quite a few spots marked in the GPX file. However, campfires are banned right now and there are some fires burning as we speak. Please do not make a campfire!

Make sure that you get the most current file as it has had some recent changes!
  12. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
  13. rkdwp

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jeff. Glad to hear we can camp easily, and good to know about the fires. We won't make any at camp.

I grabbed the file a week or two ago - just downloaded again & did a quick check. Looks like it's all up to date.
  14. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    Good deal, you guys have fun, be safe and take lots of pics/videos!
    Rusty Rocket and rkdwp like this.
  15. BokaRoka

BokaRoka It always seems like a good idea

Oddometer:
    The Yankee pigs made it to Slade in the torrential downpour today from Matewan and are headed back North
    polarpc and Jeff@TheQuadShop like this.
  16. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    Do tell!
  17. Emgo

Emgo Started on a CT70 almost 50 years ago

Oddometer:
    Sorry, today is the first rain middle TN has had in over 4 weeks. I wanted to ride part of the KAT last Oct and I could not put together 4 days without major rain. I hope for better weather this year.

Ken
  18. BokaRoka

BokaRoka It always seems like a good idea

Oddometer:
    We (5 yankee's) ran the KAT Oct 3 - 7 and ran across a group of old fuckers from the south who were running it as well. We knew they were pussies immediately by how clean their bikes where, good group of guys kept playing leap frog with them for 2 days. Will be posting up a RR with the epic tail, photos, videos, the whole gambit. Thanks for the all your hard work on the routes Jeff, this was surely one epic journey that will go down in our history books!
  19. rkdwp

Oddometer:
    were the old guys on DRs/WRs? we ran into an older gentleman at a gas station outside on London last night who said he had been out last week. said they got stuck around Pumpkin Hollow at night and didn’t get out till 11pm, yikes.

we’re holed up in Cumberland Gap for the evening. have had an epic three days so far! the hard sections we hit on Monday were very sketchy with all the rain but we made it through. also the greasy rocky hill climbs just before coming into Middleboro from the west were something! that’s a tough part of the main section there. and riding the ridge on Hard 7 was a real treat!
  20. BluegrassADV_GB

BluegrassADV_GB The Meat Drip

Oddometer:
    Hitting the road tomorrow morning! Doing the loop from Leburn (Mine Made) to Livingston. Will hopefully get lots of pics and will be posting a RR on here. Running big bikes so will probably be staying off alot of the hard sections but might dabble depending on morale.