The Kentucky Adventure Tour (KAT)

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States' started by Jeff@TheQuadShop, Sep 12, 2013.

?

How much would you estimate that you spent each day (average) while riding the KAT?

1. 0-25

7 vote(s)
    7.0%
  2. 26-50

19 vote(s)
    19.0%
  3. 50-75

25 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. 75-100

23 vote(s)
    23.0%
  5. 100-125

14 vote(s)
    14.0%
  6. 125-150

10 vote(s)
    10.0%
  7. 150+

4 vote(s)
    4.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. BokaRoka

BokaRoka It always seems like a good idea

Oddometer:
    Jeff@TheQuadShop and LeboRiley like this.
  2. RozzyCat

RozzyCat Bleeds orange Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Hard sections are easy....until they're not. :D
  3. Diddly

Diddly Bored of Directors

Oddometer:

Cell coverage is spotty. For smart device apps like MotionX, Make sure to download not only the gps tracks but also the base maps for that area. Topo is best.
  4. txmxrider

txmxrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The 5 of us completed the KAT yesterday evening and we had a great ride. On day 1 the KTM 450 stopped charging its battery so only two of us rode all the hard sections while the other three guys stayed on the green tracks. When I get some time I'll write a ride report and post some pics.

Thanks Jeff for all the work you do keeping the tracks current and promoting Kentucky!
  5. rubberband

rubberband Will ride for tacos

Oddometer:
    As one of the Yankee Pigs... Huge thanks to Jeff for putting a solid route together. Beautiful scenery, terrain, and everyone was welcoming. This is a must do ride if you are within striking distance.

Route was different than 3 yrs ago, the mines being open must have forced re-routing. (Jellico to Harlan) The added creek crossing section was welcomed, but fairly dry... could get messy in there with some rain.

Doing it again, I'd probably stay in all the same places... some rougher than others, but all offer a hot shower. Additionally every place except the Days Inn in Jellico offered a roll away bed, since there were 5 of us.

Hatfield McCoy resort was more than accommodating, and build for folks coming off the road. Kathy opened the restaurant just for the 10 guys staying there.

Great to meet the older Southern group, like minded and doing what we all love... Living off the back of a motorcycle, and traveling with your buddies.

And... we took care of that Pesky Beta.

IMG_3494.JPG
  6. txmxrider

txmxrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As promised, here is how our KAT ride played out over 5.5 days with actual mileage and time required. Note that the times include lunch, pee breaks, and occasionally jump starting a KTM 450.

October 5 - 11, 2019
    Counter Clockwise beginning in Middlesboro KY

Saturday, Oct 5 (partial day)
    Main 3, Middlesboro to Harlan
    50 miles
    Under 2.0 hours
    Hotel, food, fuel available in Harlan
    Mount Aire Motel 606-573-4660

Sunday, Oct 6
    Main 3 and Main 4, Harlan to Matewan WV
    232 miles (But we skipped the McCoy Hill area because of darkness.)
    10 hours
    Hard 9
    Hotel, food, fuel available in Matewan
    Hatfield McCoy Inn 304-426-4700

Monday, Oct 7
    Rain day so we hung out in Matewan an extra day. Went back and rode the McCoy Hill area that we skipped the previous day.

Tuesday, Oct 8
    Main 4 and Main 1, Matewan to Jackson
    165 miles
    8.5 hours
    Hard 10, Hard 10a
    Hotel, food, fuel available in Jackson
    Paul’s Motel 606-666-2471

Wednesday, Oct 9
    Main 1, Jackson to Beattyville
    109 miles
    8 hours
    Hard 11, Hard 1, Hard 1a
    Travelwise Motel 606-464-2225

Thursday, Oct 10
    Main 2, Beattyville to Livingston (Mt. Vernon)
    I forgot to write down the mileage but it was about 8 hours
    Hard 2, Hard 3
    Hotel, food, fuel available in Mt. Vernon (9 miles north) or London (15 miles south)
    Quality Inn Mt. Vernon 606-256-0040

Friday, Oct 11
    Main 3, Mt. Vernon to Middlesboro
    206 miles (But skipped the westward loop around Stearns and Oneida)
    10 hours
    Hard 4, Hard 5, Hard 7
    Middlesborough Inn 606-248-5630
  7. mac20

mac20 AVL OG

Oddometer:
    Started in Norton, VA this morning, got on KAT in Appalachia, made it to Matewan .Approx. 194 miles total. Hard 9 was nice and dry, so I don't think you'll have any problems B-Mac, buddy will post video next week.
  8. mac20

mac20 AVL OG

Oddometer:
    Fun day...i had a front flat right before we got to Mine Made ADV! My buddy got stuck in a mud hole(towed/roosted him out) on Hard 10. Locked gate, reroute..slabbed it to Jackson ,beer then KFC. Going to try and finish 10 & 10a tomorrow. Love it Jeff!!! Thanks!! Big shout out to Don & Kathy @ Hatfield & Mcoy Inn-Great People!!!
    Jeff@TheQuadShop, rkdwp and polarpc like this.
  9. Kent Glasscock

Kent Glasscock Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm the guy who was stuck. Picked a bad line. The first long creek crossing was too high (nice beaver). Was trying to find away around. Thought I was going to be spending the night. Dual DRZ 400 worked

Attached Files:

10. Kent Glasscock

Oddometer:
    Nice day. We went from Jackson south to finish up where we left off. Hard 10a was very fun dodging horse manure. Got to three Gates. Those we opened and closed no issue. The weirdest part was the locked gate at the entrance before realizing you have to go down the side and then wedge between the trailer that is parked there. I'm guessing it's set up to keep quads from coming up? We finished up 10 and then highway back to Jackson. Got back on the track to do hard 11 which was great. And the the ledges have been removed. But I still managed to take a wrong line to add another dent to my exhaust. At the Lil Abner. Miguel's is nice. Fascinated by the cliff climbing attire the women wear now.
    mac20 likes this.
  11. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    The entrance is about 40 yards before you get to the gate.
    Did someone doze the ledges?
  12. Kent Glasscock

Oddometer:
    We went south. Once we got to the gate. We realized we needed to take a left. Once we did. There is a flatbed trailer blocking it except enough for a motorcycle to get by. Just curious. On hard 11, from the DBBB sign up, that has been bulldozed. So the ledges are gone. Not sure when or by whom
    Jeff@TheQuadShop likes this.
  13. dstutz

dstutz Long timer

Oddometer:
    So then at least since 3rd week of June when I went and reported that we blew right through that area with no ledges...I think that one of the few areas we were concerned about ahead of time but it ended up not bad at all.
  14. Kent Glasscock

Oddometer:
    Left Slade at 9 due to the cold rain but we were able to get going to complete Hard 1, Hard 1a, Hard 2, and part of Hard 3 before heading to London. Staying here an extra night to go after the rest of Hard 3, Hard 4 and hopefully Hard 5.
  15. Diddly

Diddly Bored of Directors

Oddometer:
    Jeff,

I just sent you a few bucks via PayPal. I tried including a note on PayPal app but the app was crashing and I can’t tell if the note went through. We already have stickers, please use that towards keeping the KAT up.

Several of us ran Eastern KAT a few weeks back and had a great time. Business and general people we met were beyond friendly and welcoming. We spent several hundred in unplanned parts and several hundred more in unplanned hotel stays (it was 93 most days and too hot to camp).

IMG_5266.JPG Adjustments.JPG IMG_5352.JPG IMG_5290.JPG IMG_5304.JPG
    Buildzall, EBR458, sieg and 4 others like this.
  16. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    Thanks @Diddly , I'm glad you guys had a good time! It's great to see the new riding area is getting close, it's been a long time coming.
  17. Kent Glasscock

Oddometer:
    Man. What a day. Left London in 37 degree temps at 715 to McKee to finish that part of Hard 3 then off to the other parts of Hard 3. Deep Creek 1 was fine. That went decent for us and it was around one when got to Hard 4. That went decent also. I'll add that I hate that some of the nice rock areas were spray painted(kills a photo op). We made it to Hard 5 at 310. Holy geez. It took two hours. Both of us are on DRZs where we only took back packs for certain things. Not loaded. You just have to be very methodical. At least for us as intermediate riders. But we got it done. Most difficult part was the climb after Deep Creek 3. That took a couple tries. YRMV. Your best bet is to ask Jeff how long it took him and double that. Plan is Jellico tomorrow. Also gotta ask. How hard is the Hensley Settlement compared to the other hards? Thanks
  18. Rowlrag

Rowlrag Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It’s super rocky and a long climb to the top of the mountain.
  19. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    Exactly as Rowlrag said. Here is a video, as always the camera makes it look easier than it actually is.

BokaRoka, Loadtoad101 and PYG RYDR like this.
  20. BokaRoka

BokaRoka It always seems like a good idea

Oddometer:
    Fucking Hensley... Just finished up our KAT video, can be seen below

jwwr, heydek, ClutchDumpinDan and 4 others like this.