The Kentucky Adventure Tour (KAT)

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States' started by Jeff@TheQuadShop, Sep 12, 2013.

?

How much would you estimate that you spent each day (average) while riding the KAT?

1. 0-25

10 vote(s)
    9.0%
  2. 26-50

19 vote(s)
    17.1%
  3. 50-75

29 vote(s)
    26.1%
  4. 75-100

25 vote(s)
    22.5%
  5. 100-125

16 vote(s)
    14.4%
  6. 125-150

10 vote(s)
    9.0%
  7. 150+

4 vote(s)
    3.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    For the most part yeah.
  2. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    I figured as much. Trying to decide if I want to haul my bike back from NM for a few weeks of visit time. If there's nothing open up to ride not much use in it I guess.
    Jeff@TheQuadShop likes this.
  3. TrialnError

TrialnError n00b

Oddometer:
    KAT vs. SM500/1000

I am interested in hearing a comparison of the Kentucky Adventure Trail vs. the Smokey Mountain 500/1000 from folks who have ridden both. Trying to pick a route for a ride later this year and would prefer more of a dual sport route than an adventure route. Also, would love to hear how either of these compare to the Northern Wisconsin Adventure Trail (NWAT). Thanks in advance.
    blrfjr likes this.
  4. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    This thread is about the KAT so it probably isn't the best place to discuss other rides. I'm the author of one of the rides you mentioned so I'll contact you via conversation message to answer any questions you have. :D
  5. blrfjr

blrfjr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The sm500/1000 is much easier than the KAT. Sm500/1000 is big bike friendly. You'll be happier on a smaller bike on the KAT. Ive used my Africa Twin on both. Me and the big bike are more comfy in the smokies.
  6. TrialnError

TrialnError n00b

Oddometer:
    Perfect. That was the feedback I was looking for. Most of us will be on small bikes so sounds like the KAT is the better option.
  7. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    Nailed it!
  8. WQFTruckster

WQFTruckster Adventure Engineer

Oddometer:
    A buddy and I are planning to run the KAT in early September. We should have a full 7 days to take our time and do the whole loop. Probably skipping the hard sections because we will be on larger bikes (KLR650 and F800GSA). A couple of questions:

1. We would like to camp as much as possible. What's the deal with "dispersed" camping along the route? Can you find [free] spots to camp most anywhere or do we need to have a solid plan of where we are stopping each night? Do we need a permit of any type? I see the camping waypoints on the GPX but many of these seem to be established commercial campgrounds and some seem to be quite expensive and possibly requiring reservations in advance? I assume these waypoints are not the only places you can camp?

2. I imagine cell phone coverage may be poor in many parts of the trip? I was considering something like a Garmin Inreach. Is this warranted or overkill? It would be nice to at least message the family that we made it safely to our destination each night.

Thanks!
  9. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    Dispersed camping is pretty open, just use your best judgement. Most of the spots that are marked on the GPX are primitive and free, no reservations needed.

Yes, cell service is pretty limited but is available in most of the towns that you go through. Inreach is a very good idea, I have one myself.
    Huck369 and WQFTruckster like this.
  10. WQFTruckster

WQFTruckster Adventure Engineer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info, Jeff! I've spent the last few days going through the GPX, watching videos, and reading this thread. Looks like you've put together an awesome route. I'm looking forward to it!
  11. BokaRoka

BokaRoka It always seems like a good idea

Oddometer:
    What's the weather been like down there lately? Lots of rain? Have the rivers rose much?
  12. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    Hot and humid, not much rain. The creeks are down.
    Huck369 likes this.
  13. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    Kent and I got out yesterday and braved the heat to give our Tour of Idaho bikes a final shake down before we leave next month. This will be our second attempt to gain a rare finisher number. Hopefully we will have better luck this time! These video's are shot on the Kentucky Adventure Tour hard 5 section near London Ky. #tourofidaho

Here's the video's...

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLp6-QbRLhwFu6gVElE6JkLg0EjBhpgmhV
  14. yeayeaatou

yeayeaatou Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Buying a 701 in Lexington and driving down to slade, no single track today, will just do the easy route goal is 100 miles on the bike and will revisit in october for a shake down. Goal is 5/21 to do all sections in one week. We failed in 5/18 and had to skip a few spots due to time and spent some time tracking down parts for a broken bike, ended up with 900 miles.
  15. firebolter

firebolter Been here awhile

Oddometer:

And just 5 days later, after the rain that morning, the water crossing by the bridge was definitely impassable. We got to the options at 1630 and we rode it in the reverse direction you did on the 23rd. Both outs were covered by water. Where you dropped in was underwater back up to close to the concrete pad for the stairs. Glad we decided to carry/walk the bikes across the bridge! Would have been scuba time that day to cross! Good fun for sure.
  16. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
  17. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    One hand that really a great thing, but on the other a thought of caution comes to mind. A lot more buggies and 4 wheelers coming so there's a larger chance of danger. So please keep an eye open for the less considerate and inconsiderate people out there. Hopefully the latter not.
    XT Traveler and Jeff@TheQuadShop like this.
  18. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    They shouldn't be there considering most of the KAT is on county and forestry roads where you must be street legal.
    Huck369 likes this.
  19. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    Good point. I'm hoping to get down next month.
  20. yeayeaatou

yeayeaatou Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Me a few buddies are coming down in October for my 2nd trip down