The Kentucky Adventure Tour (KAT)

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States' started by Jeff@TheQuadShop, Sep 12, 2013.

?

How much would you estimate that you spent each day (average) while riding the KAT?

1. 0-25

7 vote(s)
    7.0%
  2. 26-50

19 vote(s)
    19.0%
  3. 50-75

25 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. 75-100

23 vote(s)
    23.0%
  5. 100-125

14 vote(s)
    14.0%
  6. 125-150

10 vote(s)
    10.0%
  7. 150+

4 vote(s)
    4.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. dstutz

dstutz Long timer

Oddometer:
    McCoy hill bypass the only change?
  2. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    Yep
    larryk, blrfjr and dstutz like this.
  3. ridewhat

ridewhat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We plan to head down to ride the KAT over the week of July 1st. Can anyone offer input as to whether we need to make hotel reservations ahead of time. We won't be camping. Thanks for the input.
  4. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    It's typically not a problem but with it being close to the 4th, it may not be a bad idea.
  5. ridewhat

ridewhat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. And thanks for the time and effort to put this together. We are going to try to get a group together from Virginia for the July ride.
    sieg and Jeff@TheQuadShop like this.
  6. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    My pleasure!
  7. Streak09

Streak09 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello KATers! I've been planning out some routes for a 2 day stent on the KAT this spring, but could use some guidance from those who are familiar with the routes.

#1, as many people have said, THANK YOU JEFF! You have brought so much to the table here and have made it so accessible to everyone. You have successfully build an outstanding community for the KAT and continue to update and inform everyone. Again, thank for your time and effort! Kudos to all the people who have posted up ride reports and details as well! It makes it possible for someone like me to gather the info needed to plan and make this trip. With a young one at home, it really doesn't allow me much opportunity to take off for 2+ days. So every little thing I can do to streamline a trip like this helps, this thread and community is KEY!

Okay, so, buddy and I want run the section between Slade and London during a long weekend. 250cc Dual Sports. It looks like its going to shake out that we will have 2 full days of riding available. Get in late one evening, stay in a hotel; Start early in the morning, ride till evening, camp; Ride the next day and either camp again, or may need to head back for home that same day (3 1/2 hours back to Dayton OH, we will be trucking the bikes). 2 Things that we really want to do is Hard 5/4/3, and also Camp in Red River Gorge.

So, here is my thoughts, and I could use some input on the length of time of these sections. I know it depends heavily on several independent factors, BUT, with moderate rider level and decent trail conditions, do my below itineraries seem feasible, tight, or "No effing way". I'm just looking for some guidance from those with experience. I've watched just about every bike video available of the KAT, read this whole thread, studied the Tracks, and have kept an eye out on the Facebook group to get me to this point.

So, optimum Scenario: 1 night hotel, 2 nights camping.
    • Arrive in Slade late in the evening (8 or 9:00PM)
    • Leave early from Slade and ride the bikes down to London, starting the KAT at the south end of Hard 5 --> 8AM-10AM
    • Work our way to S Tree Campground; including Hard 5, 4, first part of 3 --> 10AM-???? (NEED HELP ON THIS ONE! is a Full day enough? plenty?)
      • Is it out of the question to make it all the way to Turkeyfoot Campground on this leg?
    • Camp at S Tree
    • Leave camp and work our way to Red River Gorge; Rest of Hard 3, Hard 2, Hard 1A, Hard 1, jump off the KAT at Slade and head into RRG to camp site (off auxier ridge trail) --> 8AM-??? (Need help here too!)
    • Camp in RRG
    • Check out the Gorge in the morning, pack up from Slade and head home :(

Okay, so if we are only able to camp 1 night, but still want to camp in RRG, here is my proposal...

Scenario 2: 1 night hotel, 1 night camping.
    • Arrive in London late in the evening (8 or 9:00PM)
    • Leave early from London, starting the KAT at the south end of Hard 5 --> 8AM
    • Work our way to Turkeyfoot Campground; including Hard 5, 4, Hard 3 --> 8AM-???? (NEED HELP ON THIS ONE! Pretty much the same question as above)
    • Leave the KAT and Slab to RRG to camp off Auxier Ridge Trail --> ~ 1 hour from Turkeyfoot Campground
    • Camp in the Gorge
    • Check out the Gorge in the moring and work our way back to the Truck in London Via sections of the KAT depending on time --8AM-3PM
    • Head home :(
    Sorry for the book, but if anyone can provide some insight, it will definitely help me plan and make a couple decisions. In addition to helping me out in the immediate, I'm sure it will continue to help others as they plan as well!
    blrfjr likes this.
  8. blrfjr

blrfjr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think if all i have is 2 days......I would go to lago linda camp ($6 campsites,shower). Run clockwise on day one as far as you want, head back to camp. On day 2 go the other way. Then your bikes would'nt be loaded down. Dont worry bout how for you go just enjoy what you have time for.
    motorrad junkie and i4bikes like this.
  9. blrfjr

blrfjr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hard 3 will take most of a day by itself i think.
  10. Streak09

Streak09 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input. I will check out Lago Linda Camp. If hard 3 really takes most of a day, then we will have to seriously rethink our plan... :hmmmmm
  11. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    Hey Jeff or anyone else going to attend the Red River Scramble?
    TriumphRTO likes this.
  12. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    I want too, it all depends on my schedule.
    TriumphRTO and Snake Oiler like this.
  13. ClutchDumpinDan

ClutchDumpinDan Go do

Oddometer:
    Details? I like that area!
  14. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
  15. ClutchDumpinDan

ClutchDumpinDan Go do

Oddometer:
    TriumphRTO likes this.
  16. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    Not sure. Another inmate Wyocrawler told me.

Well actually the event runs parts of the KAT as well. But that's all I know. Forgive me if I'm being wrong Jeff for mentioning.
  17. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    No problem, it's a great event and the guy that puts it on is a good dude!

https://www.facebook.com/events/374730663275773/
    TriumphRTO and PYG RYDR like this.
  18. TriumphRTO

TriumphRTO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I haven't made a separate thread (sounds silly, but I don't advertise, that way things are "organic", kind of like the Moonshine Lunch Run), but if you have questions hit me here on ADV Rider, MotoADVR@gmail.com, or Facebook and Instagram @MotoADVR.
    Kiharaikido, Kymtnman and Snake Oiler like this.
  19. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    I added an optional Hard Hill climb in the McCoy section. Yeah, it's steeper than the video shows. LOL

I'll add it to the file in the next day or two.

blrfjr, PYG RYDR, Snake Oiler and 7 others like this.
  20. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer: