The Kentucky Adventure Tour (KAT)

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States' started by Jeff@TheQuadShop, Sep 12, 2013.

?

How much would you estimate that you spent each day (average) while riding the KAT?

1. 0-25

7 vote(s)
    7.4%
  2. 26-50

18 vote(s)
    18.9%
  3. 50-75

23 vote(s)
    24.2%
  4. 75-100

23 vote(s)
    24.2%
  5. 100-125

13 vote(s)
    13.7%
  6. 125-150

10 vote(s)
    10.5%
  7. 150+

3 vote(s)
    3.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    This is part of Hard 3 on the north side of Hwy 421. If your thinking about doing this on a big bike, pay attention to 4:25 and 11:35.

ramblin_man, dstutz and Loadtoad101 like this.
  2. Emgo

Emgo Started on a CT70 almost 50 years ago

Oddometer:
    Jeff, which direction are they running Hard 3?
    Thanks,
    Ken
  3. i4bikes

i4bikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Was that a vid of part of Renfro Sat. loop?
  4. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    The video would be clockwise
  5. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    It sure is
  6. Brown3690

Brown3690 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great info, thank you. Does anyone have experience with riding a 690 on the KAT hard sections, like the one in the vid?
  7. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    It's more about your ability to ride your 690 in those types of conditions. Someone else could be a pro rider and have no problems at all as where an average rider may struggle.
    sieg, i4bikes, Kiharaikido and 4 others like this.
  8. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    Hard 4 bikes running counter clockwise...

9. thump!

thump! Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMO it's always more about the rider than the machine. There are people who could ride a 1200GS through there and there others who can't do it on a Beta 250. Having competent equipment is a good thing but not the most important thing.
  10. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    I agree!
    Brown3690 likes this.
  11. dstutz

dstutz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone happen to know the general availability of premium along the route? The website says ~60 miles in between stops so that's nothing to worry about. I ran into a few stations in WV last year where it was regular or nothing from old style rotating dial pumps. I mixed in some of the premium I was carrying as extra that I didn't really need for range but I wasn't planning on bringing those containers along.
  12. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    I can't remember off the top of my head but you may run into that. Are you running a built motor?
  13. dstutz

dstutz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No...the 701 manual calls for premium and there's nothing in there that says anything less is OK unlike my old R1200GS that said something to the effect for best performance and fuel economy, use premium, but the computer will handle less. This is the newest generation 693cc LC4 with the dual counter-balancers.
  14. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    It will run just fine on 89. :ricky
    dstutz and PYG RYDR like this.
  15. Gjvander

Gjvander n00b

Oddometer:
    No issues finding premium when we did the KAT. 690 & 701.

Geo
    dstutz and PYG RYDR like this.
  16. gtdsrider

gtdsrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    0506191112_HDR.jpg We just finished 4 days on the KAT , 7 riders from Georgia started Sunday morning as the rains stopped in Jellico and rode clockwise. We made good progress on the gravel roads but the hard section north of the tall steel bridge was very muddy after four days of rain. We got to Beattyville that night (208 miles) and had a warm welcome from Hoss at the Travel Wise Inn. The trails started drying out on Monday with lots of great scenery around Slade, DBBB, Red River Gorge , Nada tunnel, etc. Miguels Pizza is a must stop for lunch with lots of rock climbing groups based near there having lunch .
    Tuesday was warm and things really dried out except for the big mud holes in the deep shade. Really enjoyed the off road sections through the reclaimed mine areas and running down Little Sheppard Trail along the high ridge line for 20-30 miles.We cut off the West Virginia eastern sections to save time and because some of us have ridden the Hatsfield McCoy Trails before. We treated ourselves to a nights stop at the Kentucky State Lodge at Pine Mountain and it was very nice. I don't think they get many dirt bike riders in there but they could not have been more accommodating and the food is very good.
    We finished at noon yesterday with great weather but of course the next rain system is coming in today for the weekend. That seems to be our weather pattern in the Southeast for this spring!
    Thanks to Jeff for putting the route together. Excellent job. We marveled at his great selections of gravel, hard red sections and twisty blacktop. We covered about 600 miles in 3.5 days so there is talk of another ride this fall to see more of the route.
  17. Five of Clubs

Five of Clubs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did you end up going alone?
    TriumphRTO likes this.
  18. i4bikes

i4bikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like the food at all Ky state parks.
  19. Kent Glasscock

Kent Glasscock Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes...for one day. I started from Williamsburg ccw to Jellico. It was a good day really but I just couldn't shake going on my own especially in some of the more technical sections. Plus I wanted to do the Hards and doing those by myself where even some of the pros don't go alone, I decided to call it after the first day. I've done several BDRS on my own but the KAT is more technical and is just a totally different animal. To those that have gone alone. Awesome work. Below is some of the vids I took. The plan is to do it again in the fall. There is a local person here that may be able to go with me. But if there is a group going in the late September-October range and wouldn't mind me tagging along that's wanting to do the whole thing, please send me a pm. Thanks.

20. jcmathis

jcmathis n00b

Oddometer:
    I will be heading down there Thursday night or early Friday morning.
    TriumphRTO likes this.