The KLX140G Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by LostInPA, Nov 2, 2016.

1. The Cyclops

The Cyclops Long timer

Oddometer:
    So my story (wish I had taken pics). My son got him a KLX140L and I enjoyed it so much I started looking for a G for myself. I have an XR650R and a Gasgas EC300 that I never ride anymore since I started mountain biking. So I was out on it and ran across a bunch of kids riding near the house and one had a G, I asked the others if they knew of one for sale and the little kid on a YZ250X said he had one, 2017 for $1200. Interested said I, and he brought it down to my house. The left side of the handlebars were completely snapped off and he had to reach down and grab it to work the clutch. Tires of course were completely bald and the chain was all rusty, but the seat and plastic looked surprising good. Motor seemed good so I had him call him mom on speaker to make sure we were good and I sent him on his way with $1200 cash.
    I'm loving the bike (and I'm a 230 pounder), I have some super tight single that I built for mountain biking mostly and I took one of the neighbor kids out on his new CRF450X with tuner and all the goodies and I ran off and completely left him. When he got back up with me he had this disappointed puppy dog face and said "I need a 140". Sure, he can smoke me on the open road, but he can't hold a light on me in the tight stuff.
    Lutz and Bitingdog like this.
  2. The Cyclops

The Cyclops Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone seen a Pro Circuit exhaust in stock? Having a hard time finding one. Used would be great, too. May even consider used FMF
  3. swamp

swamp Shut up. Ride.

Oddometer:
    well, my bike was running but now it has no spark.. tried changing plug... no spark... it turns over.. it's pretty much brand new... girlfriend rode it since new...

how do I test the coil?
  4. The Cyclops

The Cyclops Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd look for bad connection, coils rarely go bad. If there is a resistor in the spark plug cap that could be the culprit. take the cap off and see if you get a spark directly from the wire
    swamp likes this.
  5. riiv

riiv Street Smoker

Oddometer:
    Got the street legal kit from Rocky Mountain and the rear brake switch doesnt fit. Searching this thread brings up little answers unless im scanning over the answer. I could put the switch in the caliper but wouldnt the bouncing take its toll over time? Does anyone have a switch that would work with the master cylinder?

Edit: By fit i mean the wires protruding out the top of the switch do not fit in the cubby behind the frame. Threads match up fine.
  6. The Cyclops

The Cyclops Long timer

Oddometer:
    I put an O'ring chain on, didn't notice any power loss. Spinning the wheel on a stand wasn't much different, either. Also found a Pro Circuit full exhaust finally. Its nice, but I think I like my sons FMF slip on better and its much cheaper. I'm bound and determined to find a slightly larger carb, will post if I do. I've not tried to rejet after exhaust, a bit confused as it seems to be a little rich when I go from full closed to full open quickly, and it should be the opposite. Seems to do OK rest of the time.
  7. riiv

riiv Street Smoker

Oddometer:
    Got a link to the chain?
  8. The Cyclops

The Cyclops Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. The Cyclops

The Cyclops Long timer

Oddometer:
    Find your issue?
  10. riiv

riiv Street Smoker

Oddometer:
    Awesome thanks. I was going to pick up an amazon chain but hadn't seen this one so ill pick this up. The stock chain has to be cut right? Didn't seen a master link on there. And the stock rear sprocket is 3 pounds? Wow I'll start looking in to that as well.
  11. The Cyclops

The Cyclops Long timer

Oddometer:
    . Yeah, you have to take a couple of links out and it did come with a master link. If you find a sprocket let me know.
  12. The Cyclops

The Cyclops Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK, found a sprocket that wasn't terribly expensive, Its a PBI 4019-57. $50 shipped https://www.ebay.com/itm/PBI-Alumin...8807?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c1#viTabs_0
  13. swamp

swamp Shut up. Ride.

Oddometer:
    no. I have not found the issue yet...

I replaced the CDI with a new one and still no spark.

I disabled the clutch a neutral switches.

I tested for spark with the plug cap removed.. nothing.

the reason I purchased a new CDI was because no power is being sent to the coil..
    there is a small black wire that comes out of the harness and connects to the coil..no power is coming out of this wire.
  14. The Cyclops

The Cyclops Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wonder if the on/off switch grounds the spark circuit like an old kick start dirt bike. You could have a bad switch that would let it crank but not get spark if it were grounding. Is that making any sense?
  15. swamp

swamp Shut up. Ride.

Oddometer:
    kind of makes sense. but it was running fine about amonth ago . then I go to start it and there is no spark..
  16. swamp

swamp Shut up. Ride.

Oddometer:
    this is the small black wire that connects to the coil. the black wire does not have power when I crank the bike.. 20200816_112835.jpg

this is how I disabled the neutral switch.. or maybe that was clutch switch.. can't remember

20200816_112852.jpg

I'm hoping that the stator isn't dead.... i don't know how to test it...

the bike is a 2020 so I don't think its the stator.
  17. The Cyclops

The Cyclops Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would think there is a bad ground somewhere, I think there is one on the cable housing on the right side just in front of the tank. I don't know how they could be loose or corroded this quickly tho, but then again, how could something else be bad this quick!
  18. riiv

riiv Street Smoker

Oddometer:
    I feel your pain about exhausting wiring @swamp and i hope you get it figured it out.

Two dead batteries and diagram nightmares I’m so close to being done!
    A987F3D0-7E29-4DC1-B3A2-203BBB9F19D5.jpeg
    swamp likes this.
  19. The Cyclops

The Cyclops Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know you've probably checked this, but today I noticed that the wires going from my starter switch had been routed wrong when I had taken the choke pull knob off and they were really under a lot of strain, so much so that my clutch switch doesn't work now. Just thought I'd throw that out there in case yours could be under strain. That could certainly cause you issues
    swamp likes this.
  20. swamp

swamp Shut up. Ride.

Oddometer:
    I removed the clutch switch wires entirely.
    thanks for the ideas !
    I think it's the stator.