The KLX140G Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by LostInPA, Nov 2, 2016.

1. swamp

swamp Shut up. Ride.

Oddometer:
    well... the windings don't appear to be burned.

here are my readings... is this stator bad? I have no idea what these numbers mean. someone with a brain tell me what to do.

20200821_101214.jpg 20200821_101617.jpg 20200821_101912.jpg 20200821_101019.jpg 20200821_100246.jpg
  2. DirtDad

DirtDad Green Chile Guru

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Spent the day riding single track in Northern NM, on the KLX. Most fun I have had with 8 horse power!
    Makes me want to really throw some mods at it. Riding was between 8,000 and 10,500 ft. If this bike had a few more horses, and better front
    suspension it would be a single track slayer. Would have to work on the ergos too. This is my son's bike but I might make claim to it. :D
    [​IMG]
    Really curious about doing a fork swap, the 33mm forks are simply too flexy. 41mm's would be nice.
    Nobade, Bitingdog and HapHazard like this.
  3. The Letter J

The Letter J Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for this post! I've wanted a tall seat for another one of my little bikes (drz125) but there weren't any off the shelf tall foam/covers for it. I made my own tall foam by gluing an old seat foam on top of the stock foam then shaping it with a flap disc on the angle grinder. One email to Motoseat later and my custom 2" taller cover arrived today! Looks much more professional than if I'd just stretched gripper fabric over the foam and the contrasting colors add a little something to the look. :brow
  4. Dirtninjaklx140

Dirtninjaklx140 n00b

Oddometer:
  5. swamp

swamp Shut up. Ride.

Oddometer:
    so I'm still messing with this 140g.

I've determined that both the stator and the cdi were bad.

I've installed a new stator.

I've installed a cdi from nurays shop from ebay... i got spark but only when i hold down the start button.. the cdi did not have a brown wire connector (the brown wire come from the kill switch then connects to the CDI.. i guess it keeps the bike running after ignition??)

...the nuray shop cdi only had 5 pins instead of 6 pins , no brown wire connection... i had to move the red wire on the cdi to connect with the yellow red wire on the bikes harness... THEN I got spark... so... ... then I ordered a cheap 6 pin cdi from Amazon to test if that would would work but that one didn't produce spark....

so my last option is to pay $232.oo for a new OEM cdi from the krapasaki dealer.
    20200909_122537.jpg 20200909_122532.jpg 20200909_122356.jpg
  6. swamp

swamp Shut up. Ride.

Oddometer:
    ok...

I finally fixed it.
    HapHazard likes this.
  7. HapHazard

HapHazard Be Kind - Rewind

Oddometer:
    Congratulations! :clap
  8. YZEtc

YZEtc Feel lucky?

Oddometer:
    What needed to be fixed?
  9. Skinnytires

Skinnytires Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm experiencing some carb issues that I suspect might be related to float height, it's running quite rich throughout the rev range. Carb was off and cleaned and nothing was dirty, float height looked to be about 10.4 per LostinPA's number on page 1. Does not drip any fuel on the floor via the overflow. Oddly, I've seen a different spec of 11.7 for the smaller KLX140's. Does anyone know what the fuel level should be relative to the fuel bowl seam when measured on the bike with a clear tube?

Edit: checked fuel height with a clear tube and it was just below the fuel bowl seam which is probably close enough. Now I'm thinking that it's the needle/needle jet, I did see some slight scratches on the needle when I had it apart. Time to order some replacement parts...
  10. brianm767

brianm767 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have a 2018 or older KLX140G out side of California, that still has the federal emissions sticker on it? Trying to find out if it also says meets California emissions, not sure if these are 50 or 48\49 state bikes. I need to see if I can bring one in from out of state and still get our no restriction registration, or if it will be what we call red sticker with restrictions, we have a 2018 model and the sticker is on the rear fender.
  11. YZEtc

YZEtc Feel lucky?

Oddometer:
    The sticker on my 2018 KLX140G , which came from a Kawasaki dealer in Mass., does say it meets California emissions.
  12. YZEtc

YZEtc Feel lucky?

Oddometer:
    In case anybody was wondering, Dunlop front MX33 80/100-21 and rear MX3S 100/100-18 tires fit the KLX140G just fine.
    I run them at 10 psi front and 8 psi rear.
    Excellent traction.
  13. NuggyBuggy

NuggyBuggy n00b

Oddometer:
    Joined this group because of this thread. I'd followed a very similar thread here on the Svartpilen 401. While I understand he may have left this thread, thank you to the thread starter and to everyone else who contributed so much valuable info.

Looking to get my teenage sons away from the screens and remembering how much I loved my little trail bike when I was a teen (a little Suzuki DR100) we bought two 2019 KLX140Gs from a dealer. I felt like I hit the jackpot because there is almost no supply in Ontario at dealers and used prices are ridiculous. People are asking maybe $500 less for an 8 year old KLX140 than I paid for these barely used bikes.

Story from the dealer was they had a rich customer who would buy four of everything (sleds, ATVs, dirt bikes, etc) for his grandkids, but they never rode the bikes. By the time I got to the dealer he had three left. They looked brand new, almost no wear on the tires. I would have bought all three but my 15-year old broke his ankle the first time they tried dirt biking in the fall, and after spending 3 months in a cast he is still gun shy. He didn't even want to sit on it at the dealer.

I like that the G is not overpowered for new riders, while being large enough both for me to ride and giving the kids room to grow into them a bit. The plan is I will ride one of the Gs with my 14-y old on trails near our cottage and he will ride the other one. Hopefully my 15-y old will gradually get over his fear and try riding on our property. If he gets to the point of wanting to go on trails then they can both ride the Gs together and I try to find a 3rd bike.

If anyone is in the Orillia area in Ontario, let me know !
    Yeti2ride, HapHazard and Bucho like this.
  14. NuggyBuggy

NuggyBuggy n00b

Oddometer:
    For any Canadians still reading this thread - what are you paying to insure your 140Gs ? I didn't check this before putting down the deposits. I understood insuring dirt bikes was very cheap but should have done my homework first to make sure...
  15. NuggyBuggy

NuggyBuggy n00b

Oddometer:
    Wow. I got an email from the broker insuring my house, cars and three snowmobiles. They told me they would NOT insure these bikes because they are too small: dirt bikes need to be 151cc or more.

Has anybody heard of anything like this ? It doesn't make sense. Arguably underpowered bikes ON THE ROAD might be a risk, but how could going too slowly OFF ROAD be more dangerous ?
  16. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    Do they need to be insured?
  17. NuggyBuggy

NuggyBuggy n00b

Oddometer:
    In Ontario, you need insurance to ride anywhere other than your own property. The minimum is public liability and public damage.

Who would have thought an insurance company would want us riding more powerful motorcycles ??
  18. NuggyBuggy

NuggyBuggy n00b

Oddometer:
    The dealer told me the bikes are very finicky when cold and that they need a long warmup. I started each of them and let them run for maybe five minutes and they were stalling when put in gear and moving forward. They eventually got better but I was surprised at how long they needed. Outside temperature was about 5 degrees celsius, so definitely on the cool side. Is this normal for this bike ?

Also I noticed a strong vibrating noise when riding at lower RPMs in first gear (have only gone up to third due to limited space). My first thought was maybe it's the dummy white plastic number plate at the front just vibrating on the handlebars Has anyone else noticed this ?
  19. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    they tend to come lean from the factory. A simple rejet should work well.
  20. NuggyBuggy

NuggyBuggy n00b

Oddometer:
    Well, after trying very hard I ended up selling the 140Gs. In Ontario, to ride a dirt bike off road you need a minimum of liability insurance unless you are on your own property. I spoke to about a dozen agents or brokers, and ran into four situations:

1) Companies wouldn't insure dirt bikes, period. Non starter.
    2) Companies would insure dirt bikes and my kids would be allowed to ride, but the bikes must be bigger than 150cc. They claimed that somehow they would be safer on a bigger bike (huh?).
    3) Companies would insure dirt bikes as long as all riders have motorcycle licenses - non starter for me with two kids under 16.
    4) Companies would insure these 140Gs AND allow my kids to ride, but I have to bring over my cars. I was willing to do that but they would charge THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS more on each car. Non starter.

I called brokers, agents, and agents who sponsor off road forums. I called the various off road riding associations and posted on a bunch of associated forums. I couldn't find any answers. The only solution I was offered was for my kids to ride "dirty" or "hot" (i.e. without proper coverage). I was told that lots of people ("most" according to one broker) are riding "hot". I won't let my kids do that.

I ended up selling the bikes back to my dealer for a $500 loss. They suggested that in this market I could sell them privately for more than I paid for them. I believe that is true as I've studied the used market a lot recently and prices are absolutely insane, but I didn't want to sell bikes to some poor guy like myself who doesn't realize he won't be able to insure those bikes so that his kids could ride. When I dropped the bikes off the dealer told me they had already been sold and it took them about an hour to do so.

The story may have a happy ending, however. On a lark I called the dealer who sold me my road bike (Z400). He's a few hours away and doesn't have an online presence so his stock was never coming up on my internet searches. Turns out he has two KLX 230Rs "on the water" and due "sometime" in May. Unlike most dealers in my area it seems, he doesn't like listing bikes he doesn't actually have, so I lucked out by actually calling. NOBODY in Ontario has stock of any new dirt bikes.

The bikes are only $900 more each than I paid for each used 2019 140G, and are insurable by my insurance company for as low as $76 a year (liability only).

They are a couple of inches taller in the seat and more powerful, so a little more intimidating than the 140G, which my kids fit comfortably on. However I expect my kids to continue growing a bit and they will have more room to grow into these bikes.

I've learned my lesson and am waiting for a firm quote from my insurance company, but the dealer is holding them for me now. Maybe I'll be looking for the KLX230R thread ?
    Buzztail likes this.