The KTM 500 XC-W Thread.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Geek, Mar 16, 2012.

1. rides2little

rides2little Braaaaaap Supporter

Oddometer:

http://www.bulletproofdesigns.com/KTM-RADIATOR-GUARDS-p/ktm-rg-08-std-sil.htm Expensive, but have saved me from at least 3 new radiator purchaces so they have paid for themselves a few times over.

Personally I run the Acerbis 4.1 tank as well and it does provide some protection of the radiators but not better than the BPD guards.
  2. DesertRatliff

DesertRatliff Tinker Tinker Ride Ride

Oddometer:
    I run both the BPD guards and the 4.1 tank. Overkill, but my radiators are straight as a judge after more offs than I'd like to admit.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  3. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    If you run guards with that style tank check for clearance where the tanks wing is pushed in with a crash. I have punctured a couple of tanks this way. Now I won't run guards with the wing style tank. Wings provide good side protection and stock guards do well for the front
  4. Dao1

Dao1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    one HUGE advantage to NOT using billet rad guards is you're maximizing air flow through the fins. That's one reason why KTM's radiator guards are like so:
    [​IMG]
    WRW9751, Bitingdog and renogeorge like this.
  5. TipsyMcStagger

TipsyMcStagger Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback. I was actually thinking of running the 3.0 tank because of the potential for radiator guard conflict with a larger tank.

But it the BPD guards play well with the 4.1 gallon tank, I might go in that direction.

Tipsy
  6. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    They do.
  7. TipsyMcStagger

Oddometer:
    Just to be clear....they do play well or they do conflict?

Thanks.
  8. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    A 4.1 tank and PMB braces work fine together. I've had other tanks do what RG mentioned but the acerbis fits very well with the guards.
  9. TipsyMcStagger

Oddometer:
    Got it. Not sure I need the 4.1 vs. the 3.0 but good to know they play well together.

Tipsy
  10. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    I leave the 3.1 on most of the time, there are times I need longer range and in that case the 4 gallon has been great. If I had to pick one it'd be the 3.1 and I suspect in the eastern US a 3.1 would do fine.
  11. RAZR

RAZR u may run the risks my friend but I do the cutting

Oddometer:
    KTM Hardparts catalog has a 3.4 gallon (13L) tank that's perfect for all around riding and has the radiator protection and works well with rad guards.
    https://www.ktm-parts.com/7810791324404.html
    when you go from the stock gas tank to ANY aftermarket tank you'll need the shorter fuel tank connector because the stock tank is thicker for EPA reasons...
    https://www.ktm-parts.com/77707988017.html
  12. TipsyMcStagger

Oddometer:
    All great info. Thanks again!

Tipsy
  13. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    IMS makes a 3.3 or 3.4 that works well for me
  14. TipsyMcStagger

Oddometer:
    From what I'm seeing, the IMS tank is 3.1 gallons and the Acerbis is 3.0.

I saw a reviewer photo of the KTM 3.5 Hard Parts tank that shows it in "natural" (translucent) but I can only find a part number for orange (7810791324404 as posted above by RAZR).

The similar and slightly larger 4.1 Acerbis tank is available in natural.

EDIT: The tank pictured below is 5.3 gallons despite being listed on RMATV as 3.5g

Image from Rocky Mountain ATV of KTM Hard Parts Tank in "Natural"
    [​IMG]
  15. DesertRatliff

DesertRatliff Tinker Tinker Ride Ride

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure KTM just re-branded the Acerbis 5.3 for that one. I haven't seen a translucent version of the Hard Parts 3.5
  16. TipsyMcStagger

Oddometer:
    Okay. I guess Rocky Mountain ATV is getting their reviews mixed up.

Here's the link for what's listed as the 3.5 gallon KTM tank with a review photo of the translucent tank.

On closer look, it does appear the pictured tank is a different from the hard parts 3.5 gallon tank. You must be right...I guess what's pictured is the 5.3 tank.
  17. TipsyMcStagger

Oddometer:
    Here's my dumb question for the day; It looks like most of the data in the owners manual has the metric value as the primary with the imperial value followed parenthetically.

I'm looking to see what the stock gearing is on my 2014 450 XC-W. When you count the number of teeth, it makes no difference whether or not you're on the metric system.

Why the parenthetical entry? What am I missing here?

Final Drive.jpg
  18. BRUTE448

BRUTE448 15' KTM 450 XC-W (Oregon Plated)

Oddometer:

im not sure why the xtra numbers, but my 15 450xcw came with 13/52 off the show room floor and wear at worn point i did new chain with 13/50 for dirt and 14/50 for dual sport ( just flip axle blocks) been happy with the switch thus far.
  19. Halen

Halen Suerte O Muerte

Oddometer:
    I'd like to do a sanity check -- found a 2013 500 XC-W with just over a 1,000 miles on (no idea on hours). It's at a semi-reasonable price and loaded out with some nice additions.

Would this bike be insane to do a run from Austin to Alaska (it has the larger gas tank)?
  20. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    Having a 2012 500 XCW and having ridden to Alaska (on my 990, not the 500), I wouldn't like to take the 500 there. Could it be done? Yes. Are there better bike for this? Yes. I say this because Alaska, and more importantly just getting TO Alaska, is all about distance--as in LOTS of miles of paved, grind along road. I don't care if you have hundreds of miles of real off road where the 500 would have you smiling. You will have thousands of miles where it won't...FWIW