1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

The KTM 500 XC-W Thread.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Geek, Mar 16, 2012.

1. kclark

kclark 1SevenZero

Oddometer:
    I did pull the switch apart and had a look. It is not easily reversible and would take substantial work to change.

I decided to take the easy route and just alter the markings.

Besides that I dove in and removed the rats nest of wiring from where the previous owner had installed a dual sport kit. Like I said I can be a little OCD and this was bothering me.

94D87D21-F1B5-46C8-883A-0995C5DEABA0.jpeg 3544AC20-52AB-402F-836D-DCF507A2A85E.jpeg 587BB53E-3409-4560-9D65-79766B23C8EC.jpeg

Everything has been cleaned up and I can sleep tonight. :lol3
  2. dcshaun

dcshaun n00b

Oddometer:
    After six years of dirt bike drought, I lovingly convinced my wife that my mental health program included getting back on a bike. I broke my back 6 years ago on my KTM 300 XCW. She thinks I'm reckless and don't know my own limits. I'd say I most certainly found out where my limit is. I don't want to go back there. I've read every page of this thread and lusted over the 5 Hunnies since Kyron got his. I am now a proud owner of another KTM and this bike blows my mind. We did 150 miles on Sunday of the most beautiful scenery in Arizona. I can't wait to see the rest of it. Margaritas at lunch sealed the deal on an epic return to the dirt.

Attached Files:

WRW9751, TrailBreak, Kyron and 5 others like this.
  3. kclark

kclark 1SevenZero

Oddometer:
    Congratulations! What size tank do you have, and do you know it’s range yet?

I’m looking to get an oversized tank, but need a minimum 150 mile range (off road). I’m thinking the 4 gallon will get me approx. a 200 mile range.
  4. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    I think most people are getting no more than 45 mpg, so I think you will be a little short.
  5. wfv56

wfv56 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a 4.1 on a Husky 500. 200 is easily doable dual sport. All trails it entirely depends on the trail. If a real death march milage will plummet. Worth knowing plastic tanks grow over time. Mine holds closer to 4.4 now.
  6. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    I'm getting 68mpg on my "13 450xcw :clap but I'm old. :thumb
    Junya and SCExpat like this.
  7. kclark

kclark 1SevenZero

Oddometer:
    Thanks to all who responded. I’m leaning towards the Acerbis 4. I’m doing a build for the Sonora and Baja Rallies and I think the 4 will be a great balance between size, weight and range.
  8. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    I find the sand vs hardpack a big consideration, my mileage goes down as much as 30% in loose sandy conditions, that can be an issue south of the border.
    WRW9751 and MasterMarine like this.
  9. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    While doing a similar ride in Utah, I found my mileage plummeted while riding in the sand. I have the 5.3 and was glad I had filled it up on the sand stages when the light was on upon my return to camp. I would get the big tank and then just put less gas in when that is what you need for the day.

I don’t think there is really much difference in the size where your body interacts with it (between your knees) between the 5.3 and 4+ gallon acerbic tanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    WRW9751 and John_B like this.
  10. Cycleman4

Cycleman4 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    What bike are you using for your build platform? I am starting the same process as you.
  11. kclark

kclark 1SevenZero

Oddometer:
    2012 KTM 500 XCW
    Magus likes this.
  12. fwgdocs

fwgdocs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    WRW9751 likes this.
  13. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its a highway dirtbikes setup made by an inmate.

You can order at highwaydirtbikes.com
  14. fwgdocs

fwgdocs Adventurer

Oddometer:
  15. HickOnACrick

HickOnACrick Groovinator

Oddometer:
    Still running strong, but has developed a ticking sound. Valves in spec, going to replace the clutch bushings to see if that fixes the problem.

[​IMG]
  16. REDRIDERS

REDRIDERS RIDE RED

Oddometer:
    Good day all ,hope some one can help having my '15 xcw 500 fully plated are destroying battery's ,had it a few months and rode about thousand kilometer no issue ,after I installed a 55 watt headlight globe and did some TPS settings I rode about 200 kilos and bike died while riding could not get it going again ,Changed battery with new one same thing after +- 180 k's died ,and had the stator tested nothing wrong charges at between 14.2 and 14.6 volts when the fan comes on it drops to round 13.6 volts .So all must be good . before I could finish a tank of gas same thing ????
  17. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Is this the original battery from when you bought it? Those voltage levels are normal and a 55w bulb is no problem with that stator. It sounds like you have a parasitic draw from the bike or else a bad battery. Also make sure your brake light isn't hung up and staying on.
  18. HickOnACrick

HickOnACrick Groovinator

Oddometer:
    Do you smell the strong scent of sulfur before the battery goes dead? The reason I ask is when my voltage regulator died on my 950, the scent of sulfur was pretty overwhelming. To my knowledge the 500s don't have voltage regulator issues, but it seems like you're going through batteries much too fast. FWIW I am only on my second battery in 6+ years and the only reason I needed a second one was my fault for not maintaining it correctly.
  19. REDRIDERS

REDRIDERS RIDE RED

Oddometer:
    No sulfuric smell ,I destroyed 2 brand new battery's
  20. HickOnACrick

HickOnACrick Groovinator

Oddometer:
    It seems unlikely that you would destroy 2 brand new batteries in such a short time due to the batteries being bad from the factory, unless they were from the same lot, from the same factory, and there was some quality control issue for that specific lot.

It seems that a parasitic power draw would cause a dead battery that would not allow the bike to start after sitting?? whereas a faulty regulator/rectifier would allow the bike to start and run, but would eventually destroy the battery. Since you are describing that the bike stops running while riding, I would check out two things: make sure your ground wire from the battery is clean and making contact with the frame (maybe add some di-electric grease to the frame ground), and check the output of the regulator/rectifier while the bike is running.

Here is a video that explains how to simply trouble shoot the electrical system:
    RideFreak likes this.