The KTM 500 XC-W Thread.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Geek, Mar 16, 2012.

1. todd83-900t

todd83-900t Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This setup may not justify more explanation since it's hacky but effective. To eliminate the parasitic drain from the accessories you can use two of these

[​IMG]

Connect one end to the negative battery terminal and all the accessories to the other terminal. Set the wiring so the pigtail is easily accessible by the seat. To complete the circuit plug in the mating pig tail that you've shorted out (dongle). Pull the dongle at night and plug it in during the day. Like I said it's a hack (-5 points) but effective. Personally, I just pull the GPS from the cradle.
  2. Magus

Magus Never grew up... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Got it. Yea, if the gos is the culprit, taking it off makes the most sense.

3. TipsyMcStagger

TipsyMcStagger Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the suggestion, Todd. Thinking out loud; an alternative could be to hard wire all of the accessories that you'd like to be able to disconnect to a single SAE connector (positives to positive and negatives to negative).

Then, connect an SAE to the battery. Leaving both connectors accessible, plug the two together and the battery is now powering the accessories. When you want to depower the accessories, unplug the SAE's from one another. You now have a "hot" SAE connected to the battery that can be used to connect a Battery Tender or to power an air pump, etc.

This allows you to have both an available hot SAE and power for the accessories, with only one set of ring terminals attached to the battery. Obviously, to utilize the SAE connector for a Battery Tender or for an air pump, the other hardwired accessories would have to be temporarily disconnected.

The one pitfall that I can envision would be mistakenly connecting a Battery Tender to the SAE that is hard wired to the accessories.
  4. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    I ran one lead from the battery where I split it into two conductors, each goes through a fuse and one goes up to the headlight mask and also to a SAE connection near the shock reservoir for a battery charger and air pump, it's on all the time. The other goes through a relay that is switched on from the taillight wire so that when the lights come on that circuit is energized, it's for heated grips if I ever install them. Both circuits are available behind the headlight and the whole thing is done with one connection to the battery. I didn't want a spaghetti mess of wiring but I wanted to cover all possible electrical needs.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The SAE connector has been very handy, I use it to run a small compressor mostly but I could run heated jacket off if it or charge the battery.
    jm19328, timeOday and WRW9751 like this.
  5. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    That SAE connector is something I've neglected to get hooked up for the purposes mentioned. Do you suggest a specific manufacturer for this SAE connetor (quality product) or an online source to procure?
  6. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    None specifically that I can think of off hand but I'd suggest one with a tethered cap to keep dirt out.
  7. todd83-900t

todd83-900t Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This nugget could solve the e-gadget charging problem:
    [​IMG]
    WRW9751 likes this.
  8. Magus

Oddometer:
    I have used a bunch of those Battery Tender usb dongles without issue. Some purists don’t like them but they have been very handy for me.
    WRW9751 and renogeorge like this.
  9. disheveled

disheveled n00b

Oddometer:
    Can anybody direct towards a "switched source" underneath the cowling?
    No switch of course, but hoping there is a wire that I could tap into and install a voltmeter.
    Thanks
    nzrian likes this.
  10. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys, I have a Problem. got a 500 EXC (2016). put the gear Lever up one tooth and since then when I shift up all the way I feel a rattle/rubbing like something was touching a gear. if I only tip the Lever the gear Slips in perfectly. What could that be? Any thoughts?
    Thanks for your help.
  11. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    Hello again, and forgett my Question, Found the reason for the disturbance. The gear Lever was rubbing against the chain. Really easy to find once you look.
    thanks anyway.
  12. nocoastxj

nocoastxj n00b

Oddometer:
    New owner of a 2016 500 XC-W
    Does anyone else notice that a lot of aftermarket companies don't seem to know that the XC-W exists or if it does, they don't realize it was made until 2016? Not looking for any one part in particular but I think it may just be chalked up to the cross reference legwork not being done for aftermarket support and the popularity of the 500exc models garnering the aftermarket attention.
  13. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    Well, pretty much anything that fits the 500EXC fits your bike, so I think you are covered.
    RideFreak likes this.
  14. trailjammer

trailjammer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I feel you on that one. Honestly, KTM fit lists are insane. I create all mine from scratch and they are always a living document. KTM and Husky are super hard to keep track of for fitments. I just had a customer help me out with the 2019 KTM 250/350 xcf fitment. It's really hard to keep up on all the changes and differences between models, that's for sure. For example, I was on rockymtnatv and they had a front caliper rebuild kit for the xcw but NOT the exc. I was 99% sure there's no difference but they couldn't tell me. USUALLY, the XCW is the same, but there's minor differences depending on the part. It's almost like it's up to you to figure out sometimes. There's so many models. Anyways, if you decide you want some Clutch and Stator Cover Guards or even and exhaust guard, at least I know for that year, the EXC and the XCW are the same for that. Feel free to hit me up for direct orders. My website is in transition so here's temporary link trailjammer.com. I'd be happy to help you out. I have a '15 EXC and they are great bikes if you have any questions.
  15. RRM707

RRM707 Yeah, whatever...

Oddometer:
  16. Magus

Oddometer:
    I would check in with the guys at Motominded. They are full of knowledge and help and did a great job on my 2012 XCW.
    RRM707 likes this.
  17. Bungholio

Bungholio Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, they swapped the pegs and holes, pegs on headlight shell with new fender. I think you just get a new style front fender.
  18. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a definite recommendation for you. I have bought many types because I commute in electric gear all winter. Some are bulky. Some have wires that are too thick or too thin or use wire made of aluminum that breaks. These ones are good

Hopkins 47965 2-Pole Flat Extension
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002Q80RW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Note this does not include a fuse. If you have bought a few 12v accessories you probably have one lying around you can splice in. Be sure to use a fuse rated high enough for your inflator, or it'll probably blow the fuse just when you need it.
  19. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    thanks
    I did get one connected last fall that came with my moto pump.
  20. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    :nod there's lots of stuff out there for the 500s.