1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

The KTM 500 XC-W Thread.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Geek, Mar 16, 2012.

1. petew

petew I love all motorcycles! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is there a thread for the 500 exc. I have a 2020 and would love to see what others have done to their exc’s and the differences between each of the years.
  2. jekaio

jekaio Ride The Lightning

Oddometer:
    anybody know of a factory street bike wheel swap to a 14 KTM 500 for a supermoto swap?
  3. RRM707

RRM707 Yeah, whatever...

Oddometer:
    Baja Designs help please. I bought this from an inmate, & I'm trying to figure

out what model it is. I think it's the Squadron Pro or Sport. I'm trying to see

if I can wire it to the hi lo switch. Anyone...?

20200718_083014.jpg
    20200718_082959.jpg
    jm19328 likes this.
  4. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    I don't know the models. But the number of wires is probably what is important. If just 2, all 4 LEDs are wired together as a "race" setup. If 3 wires, top 2 are not tied to bottom 2. If 3 wires, no problem assuming you have a headlight switch with high and low beam positions. If you just have the push pull switch you'll need to change it out. If it's the 2 wire "race" light, BD sells a prewired resistor setup which allows you to have dim and bright with all 4 LEDs operating at the same time. I have that setup on my 500 and it works fine. But you need a headlight switch with bright and dim. May not be totally street legal!
    Fast1 likes this.
  5. RRM707

RRM707 Yeah, whatever...

Oddometer:
    Thx for the info. It is a 2 wire set up, & the bike does have that push pull switch.

(That also turns on the tail light.), and I do have a generic hi lo switch on the bars.

Not connected, has blue, black white wires coming out of it. I do need to put

some type of hi lo/dimmer to it, it is bright.
  6. DesertRatliff

DesertRatliff Tinker Tinker Ride Ride

Oddometer:
    renogeorge likes this.
  7. MotoMinded

MotoMinded Rally On Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is a Sport LED.
    Agree with @DesertRatliff Skene makes a dimmer. You can contact Baja Designs, they use Skene dimmers and can make you a plug in harness.

First... is your bike carbbed or fuel injected?

Carbbed is AC Power at your headlight plug. ****Hook up the LED direct and it will fry quick. ***
    You need an AC to DC rectifier in line. Then you can run the LED on/off mode. You can not do high/low with an AC system.
    Some try to hook to the battery that is DC power, but you only have about 10-15 watts going to that from the stator and you battery will be dead in less than one ride.
    Only way to get high low on a carbbed bike is a full DC stator and regulator from TrailTech or similar.

If you are Fuel Injected, yes what @DesertRatliff says. You will have plenty of stator and clean DC power to run LED & Dimmer.
    Baja sells the Skene dimmer too. Sicass sells high/low switches that can plug in.

Please send me direct message or email the team at office@motominded.com

DesertRatliff and MasterMarine like this.
  8. RRM707

RRM707 Yeah, whatever...

Oddometer:
    My bike is a fuel injected '13. Thx for the help!
  9. jm19328

jm19328 2020 KTM 500 Exc

Oddometer:
    The dimmer plugs right into the factory light harness and will use your stock hi/low switch. Couldn't be simpler
  10. Kurlon

Kurlon n00b

Oddometer:
    So, contemplating joining the club, looking at a 16 as a road racer sumo... Got a few questions:
    - Am I correct that it is the prior generation (2014ish) SX tank that would swap on to go smaller?
    - Kickstart lever has been removed, is there a cover that doesn't have a hole for the kickstart so I could remove the shaft and idler gear?
    - Any places to easily drop weight?
  11. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Battery & silencer
  12. brucemuzik

brucemuzik Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys,

I have a 2016 XC-W 500 in South Africa that I want to make street legal.

Does anyone know if the stock 2016 500 EXC Light Harness (#77711079000) and Flasher Harness (#77711081000) are plug and play into the XC-W 500's harness?

If so, would that give me the connections I need to plug in all the street goodies, or am I missing something?

Bruce
  13. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Sicass Racing and TrueNorthMotos both sell these kits. The harnesses between the XCW and the EXC are different enough that it won't provide the connections needed inside the main XCW harness for things like brake lights and turn signals and horn. All 3 are things that require additional wires inside the primary harness which you aren't listing as a part of the modification. This has been done many times before with an aftermarket kit designed to make an XCW street legal. The Kits can be purchased with the critical items like brake light switches, turn signals, handlebar switch and the wiring to make it work. TrueNorthMotos sells a complete kit in the link above.
  14. brucemuzik

brucemuzik Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks RideFreak!