The KTM 690 Enduro Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neepuk, Mar 6, 2015.

1. motnodgir

motnodgir Hah!

Oddometer:
    +1 on the wings. $420 shipped, arrived in three days. Great value,quality and customer service.....

My 2015 Mods...

The must have item's

Rally raid radiator guard and braces.....that radiator is just waiting for a fall.

CJ designs fuel filler neck...If you have been in the mud and dirt all day you will need this.

HDB 1"7/8 riser, top clamp, mirrors and hand guard.... I am 5' 10" the risers are essential when standing....HDB nuff said!

Seat concepts....your butt will thank you.

Flatland skid plate and brake master cylinder guard..... great value.

Perun rear rack and tank bolt kit.....the rack is built to last, well thought out and top quality, same on the tank bolt kit.

:D:D:D:D
  2. decooney

decooney Enduro Rider

Oddometer:
    BigDog, so I guess it wasn't just me and a few others who came to the same conclusion. I agree with you 100% about the suspension, front forks, and what I felt was very weird offroad handling at times. You got it right, "horrible" is the right word to describe the front forks. I also weigh 200lbs. Yep, it almost killed me too. Don't mean to rain on the parade here, but, IMO the bike needs to be respected or ride with caution if you push it beyond basic trail and dual sport riding. I now believe if someone wants to ride the new 690 like a dirt bike, go find a great suspension tuner before pressing your luck at speed off road. The front end kept coming out from under me when really pressing hard through bumps, compressing, rebounding, and ejecting me or throwing me off line going through fast downhill sections combined with turns. The first two times I went off, I thought it was just me, and I kept at it trying to master the bike off road. On road, it was fine. No issue. Handled more like a street bike than a big dirt bike to me.

As for overall balance I could never get use to the weight of the tank in back either. Later I found three others right here on ADVRider who came to the same conclusion you did about the forks/front end among other handling questions. After three wipeouts for me on my '14 690, on the 3rd time it ejected and slammed me causing rib damage, and that was strike three for me. Done. Gave up. Sold it to a much bigger desert racer dude to go muscle it around. Otherwise smooth and delightful, and so many great things about the bike other than these weird front end and handing issues I failed to tame or correct. I went back to a 500/501. No problems since staying on line and keeping the bike tracking straight in/out of turns and through fast downhill sections. The 690 sure showed me who is boss. It will be interesting to see what KTM does with the chassis/suspension and fuel tank location for the 2016/2017 model.
    hidsrtktm likes this.
  3. AdvMoto18

AdvMoto18 NORDO Supporter

Oddometer:
    Coastal SC Low Country / Land of Shrimp & Grits
    I have read literature but have not dissembled or seen a design schematic for the MY14/15 front fork.

I wonder if air pressure built up over the duration of a ride is actually being vented overboard on the 690? And at what rate?

Obviously, we do not have a bleed screw/port at the top of these forks. Literature and news stand rags have interviewed KTM folks and they say they've found a way to vent air psi in the 690 fork. Well, they haven't incorporated this technology into their dirt bike forks, and I can sense why when I ride my 2015 350 EXC and the 2015 690.

The 690 fork is not even close to being as plush as my 2015 350 EXCF, no matter what setting I try. Heck, I'd simply say it is way too stiff with harsh rebound. I'm 145#. Granted, the 350 and 690 are completely different bikes made for totally different styles of riding. But still...

I'm waiting for one of the aftermarket gurus, (CJ) to machine a replacement fork cap with a bleed screw.

I have the Air Pro Fork manifold system on my 350. A great design/system IMO.
  4. AdvMoto18

Oddometer:
    Which APP is that? Thx!
  5. ganshert

ganshert not sleeping

Oddometer:
    Road Trip
  6. decooney

decooney Enduro Rider

Oddometer:

I know, made no sense to me either. The more I rode it the more I disliked it over time - especially when pushing the bike hard. One of my buddies had his 690 suspension redone by SP and he is not sure if it's any better than stock. Oh well, will be interesting to see what changes people make over time to resolve it.
  7. FongMan

FongMan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any place to get a printed factory repair manual for the 14-15 models??
  8. Dan950ser

Dan950ser Two Wheeled Addict

Oddometer:
    For suspension I will be going to Alex at konflict motorsports. His work absolutely transformed my SE.
  9. Duane1969

Duane1969 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just picked up a new 15' model last week and only have about 150 miles on mine. Really love the bike with the exception, as others have mentioned, the front forks. Will have to take some time to sort it out and possibly have some suspension work done in the future but that's normal for me, weighing 210 lbs.

Question.........regarding fuel filtering, has anyone done anything like an "in line" filter. I have used the quick connect types like at Zip Ty racing on my 500 xcw but am not sure they will work on the 690. Anyone experiment with them?

I have called Zip Ty Racing and they are researching it for me and I will post up their response.
  10. Duane1969

Duane1969 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just heard back from Zip Ty............you guys may already know this but they said their fuel filter would work on the 15' 690
  11. FongMan

FongMan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    94 miles, decals cost more than anything else....

Broke
    [​IMG]

Bent
    [​IMG]

:muutt
    smcqueen likes this.
  12. sethc06

sethc06 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Damn man that sucks! But at least throw out a play by play on how that happened? And did you escape without injury?

PS, I read the manual regarding proper break in, and I think you're doing it right!
  13. FongMan

FongMan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To much throttle, super traction, lack of experience. Just a quick blip and up she went!! Off I went, landed on the taillight assembly and broke it to shit. XD4 hit the ground, had a jacket with armor in the back and am glad i wore it !!

Just took the side road to pay $823.00 in tax and tags...........now another 400.00.............:lol3

It hasent been over 4500 RPMs in 94 miles...
  14. strat10

strat10 Ready for adventure

Oddometer:
    Man, looping it with 94 miles, that sucks! My dealer told me that one guy they sold a 690 to crashed it leaving the lot......

Get a sickass rear light/plate holder. I hate that stocker anyway. :)
  15. SCflyer

SCflyer Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. AdvMoto18

Oddometer:
    Glad you're OK!

$hit happens, even at 94 miles on the clock and having FUN!
  17. gxshrimp

gxshrimp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just a heads up to keep an eye on oil consumption... although I'm sure I got the one lemon 2015... currently dealing with dealer/KTM warranty, I'm at 3000km, in the last 1000km she's used 1 litre of oil.

Otherwise it's a fun bike :evil
  18. sethc06

sethc06 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No smoke out the pipe or anything? That's a good amount of oil to lose on a single over that time.
  19. gxshrimp

gxshrimp Been here awhile

Oddometer:

No, nothing. No leaks, no major amount of oil in airbox. Broke it in by the book but didn't baby it either. First service at 1000km and pretty much the same consumption since.

I've heard it can take time for the rings to seat but think it should have happened by now. Anyway dealer is involving ktm at this point and we'll see what happens...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  20. sethc06

sethc06 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They should have sent me the lemon, I still have an old Harley, I'm used to dumping a quart in at fuel up :evil