The KTM 690 Enduro Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neepuk, Mar 6, 2015.

1. AdvMoto18

AdvMoto18 NORDO Supporter

Oddometer:
    Coastal SC Low Country / Land of Shrimp & Grits
    Oil has to be going somewhere, it just doesn't disappear.
  2. gxshrimp

gxshrimp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can't argue with that, but I've been over the engine multiple times, I have a small amount of seepage from one of the oil screen bolts, other than that, no leakage. Doesn't smoke on startup and riding buddies say it isn't smoking while riding either... :dunno
  3. decooney

decooney Enduro Rider

Oddometer:

Rings not seating or seated properly on break-in?

...see info on not running synthetic too early on break in and 1st oil change. Some go back to running regular oil to try and reseat rings. I always do a lot of repeated accel/decel runs on my new bikes.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=874220
  4. AdvMoto18

Oddometer:
    I think that would result in BLUE smoke.

A PITA way to check rings and/or valves. Perform a compression check. Do about 4 checks and take average. Drop a tablespoon of oil down the spark plug hole. Perform another compression check. No or little change in compression, rings not seated properly. Oil Pressure goes up, would indicate a value not seated properly. Of course, there has to be definitive evidence of oil usage other than simply disappearing without a trace.
  5. neepuk

neepuk Such a drag...

Oddometer:
    Perhaps that huge catalytic converter/muffler is masking the blue smoke that would be coming out the exhaust in an oil burning situation?
  6. Dan950ser

Dan950ser Two Wheeled Addict

Oddometer:
    Hopefully KTM does something about it. I had the same thought about the cat masking the smoke.
  7. theofam

theofam Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree on the cat incinerating the oil as a potential issue.

If KTM comes up short, do you have a buddy with a cooler, non-cat exhaust (Wings, Akrapovic)? Slip one of those on, do the 15-minute reset and see if you have smoke coming out the back.
  8. AdvMoto18

Oddometer:
    EXCELLENT point about CAT/silencer masking smoke!
  9. gxshrimp

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys great points... I rechecked the airbox yesterday and there was a bit of oil pooling in it. Also some oil seepage from the boots at the throttle body. So I think this oil is being forced up the vent tubes and back into intake from blow by. Likely rings haven't seated.

I read up quite a bit on break in before I got the bike and did lots of hard accels and decels, and just generally worked it well through the gears, but nothing crazy and generally kept below 6000rpm. It used oil during break in as well, but I thought that was to be expected a bit.

Anyways, I called ktm on my own and one of their guys recommended changing to a mineral oil, Motorex Legend. I just feel like it's too late for that, at 3000k if it hasn't happened yet will it?

But currently dealing with dealership so I'm going to hold off on doing anything myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  10. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does adding a slip on affect warranty?
  11. bradluke0

bradluke0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would take it out and run the piss out of it . At this point what do you have to lose ? I would have run the piss out of it from the start .
  12. gxshrimp

Oddometer:
    Oh believe me, I have been since the first service... no real change in consumption. I think the question now is should I be running the piss out of it with mineral oil in there rather than synthetic. I'll hear in the next few days from the dealer/KTM...
  13. decooney

decooney Enduro Rider

Oddometer:
    I wanted to bring this up earlier but figured most would debate it with no major evidence of smoke. A guy I work with has a riding buddy going through this now on his newer 690. He brought it to the dealer and they sent him home with an oil change asking him to "ride it for a while to see if it changes". Nothing conclusive.
    Hopefully your dealer can perform all the appropriate checks. Good luck on it.
  14. smitty141

smitty141 Only Pussy's die of natural causes.

Oddometer:
    Driving home today and looked in my re-view mirror.. WOW, perfect fit.. 2015 690 R enduro...

[​IMG]

Let the credit card games begin... Time to order some stuff. I ordered a skid-plate and KTM fly-screen before I even bought this bike..

[​IMG]

Can someone tell me what kind of warranty is on this thing? Is it 12 months -- 12,000 miles? Could not find anything in the manual except "You must have a dealer service your bike" Or it is void crap..

Smitty
  15. steved57

steved57 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I also have just bought a 2015 and have bought/done the following

Wings can
    Perun tank bolt kit
    Perun rear rack
    KTM windscreen
    Renazco seat
    Rekluse clutch
    Superplush suspension rebuild
    BMC air filter
    Scotts undermount steering dampener
    Cyclops NXG lights
    Garmin Zumo GPS
    Cleanspeed rear brake pedal
    Lower temp fan switch

And I have about 500 miles on it and thinkmI'm gonna really like it but I haven't done any hard offroad but will sometime soon
  16. decooney

decooney Enduro Rider

Oddometer:
    Congratulations to both of you!

Steved57,
    Keep us posted on how the SP upgrade works for you. I see you own and ride various bikes, including the FE 390, so I can imagine you appreciate a bike that handles well. I'm interested in your eventual feedback on the off road handling of the 690E with the suspension upgrades. thx.
  17. AdvMoto18

Oddometer:
    Sweet! Congratulations!

Don't forget to hit the credit card up a Camel Toe ! First time you use the factory jiffy stand in dirt, you'll be pickup up your new steed! Camel toe is not inexpensive, but then, nothing for this scoot is cheap! If you do opt for a Camel Toe, consider filing the bottom holes square for a carriage bolt. They ship with regular bolts and the bolt heads will eventually grind off. The design needs improvement, but, I like the look. If you have access to a welding machine, simply weld up the bottom holes and weld threaded rod to the bottom shoe facing up for the nuts to attach. A lot of modification to a product that should be designed RIGHT to begin with given the cost.
  18. Chris6501

Chris6501 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm not having any luck locating a 14 tooth front sprocket for my 14, 690. Anyone know who sells them?
  19. darren70

darren70 I don't own a KTM

Oddometer:
    You need to get one of the older lc4
  20. Chris6501

Chris6501 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Just ordered my Rekluse clutch today. Looking to get the 14 tooth also to get 690 better suited for the woods.