The KTM 690 Enduro Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neepuk, Mar 6, 2015.

1. darren70

darren70 I don't own a KTM

Oddometer:
    you will love the difference the gearing change makes
  2. decooney

decooney Enduro Rider

Oddometer:
    The slipper clutch and easy pull on my '14 690 was great. Never felt the need for a rekluse and I climbed some pretty nasty uphill rocky stuff with it, as easy or better than my prior 450.

Did your 690 not have the slipper clutch in it? What caused you to order the Rekluse?
  3. Chris6501

Chris6501 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I should have specified I got the Rekluse auto clutch. Not just a standard recluse clutch. If you are not familiar with what their auto clutch does, check them out on you tube. I figure it will help me navigate this beast in the more hilly, gnarly, tight terrain.

Towards the end of the youtube video below, you can really see the auto clutch doing its thing...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2x7pu5Pyzw
  4. steved57

steved57 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah I'm anxious to give it a try and will report back but it just wont quit raining here. I plan on a week long mostly off road trip in early April in New Mexico and will let you know how the suspension works. I used Superplush on my 990 SMR and was very happy with it but didnt do anything more than gravel or dirt roads with it.
  5. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    My bike is IN the garage so of course I'm geeking out. I know that there are two unused fuses just waiting to be tapped for.... Stuff. I'm pretty good at adding things and not getting in too much trouble.
    Are there connectors somewhere to tap into? How do these spare spots in the fuse block work?

So far I have the following to install
    Wings exhaust
    Doubletake mirrors
    Hdb handguards
    Emperor racing skidplate
    Phone /GPS mount (need power!)

Thanks.
  6. levain

Oddometer:
    Found the accessory connectors under the headlight.

Nice touch KTM[​IMG] [​IMG]
  7. decooney

decooney Enduro Rider

Oddometer:
    On gravel roads my '14 690 did fine. Where I had trouble was riding it fast, offroad track style, through bumps and berms. Rear was okay, but it would come off line some times kicking out, front was harsh on high speed compression. The front came out from under me three separate times. 3rd time was a charmer... I've been riding for 46 years and never experienced this before on any dirt bike before. Shook me. Could never get the suspension adjusted right. Finally gave up and went a different route. No problems since. Hopefully SP can dial it in for you. Keep us posted. Thx.
  8. steved57

steved57 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Different route in meaning different bike ?
  9. River-Runner

River-Runner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    decooney -

Don't most bikes come with fully synthetic oil from the factory? I've always heard that the honing and rings technology now a days will seat just fine with synthetic oil.

Am I wrong.......again.......is the 690 somehow different?
  10. rickyc4

rickyc4 FF Rancher

Oddometer:
    thanks for the heads up. at 600 miles I was surprised to be 1/2 of a quart low. Just put in Motul 10/60. and will watch closely
  11. Chris6501

Chris6501 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I used regular 10w40 oil for break-in for the first 1500 miles, did not see any noticeable oil consumption. Then switched to Motul 10/60....and after just 400 miles my oil level is all the way at the bottom of sight glass. The 690 seems to like oil, if you do a google search "690 oil consumption" you'll see a long history, including the Duke 690....I guess if they all do it, and they run good long term....whata ya do?

12. levain

Oddometer:
    It's the little things isn't it? First ktm. Never seen a real bracket hold a battery. Impressive [​IMG]
  13. ecd

ecd n00b

Oddometer:
    Just bought a 2015 690 Enduro (had a 690 Duke) and looked through this thread.

There's no mention of updating the thermostat switch for the radiator fan? I thought that was a common/essential upgrade.

With 90 degree weather, my fan was coming on regularly with stop-go city riding. It goes off only when there's 2 bars remaining on indicator.

This is what I'm looking at installing from ktmtwins: http://www.ktmtwins.com/ktm-950-990-690-rc8-thermostat-switch
  14. Mikemm

Mikemm Long timer

Oddometer:
    lots of talk about it in the big thread http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=722987
  15. neepuk

neepuk Such a drag...

Oddometer:
    I haven't had mine long eneough to tell whether or not heat is a real problem but I did notice while riding yesterday that my temp gauge in now running one bar lower than it was before the Wings exhaust install. I think that stock exhaust/cat actually backs up enough heat through the exhaust to raise the engine temps. Let that heat out!

Also, if you read through the owners manual you'll see that the heat reading on the gauge does not represent a problem until it shows all the bars and flashes. I wonder if the guage on these bikes is just calibrated to instill a little fear? It just doesn't seem to run as hot as the guage would have you believe by its calibration.
  16. neepuk

neepuk Such a drag...

Oddometer:
    It is the little things. While the overall design and use of quality components is impressive, it bugs the hell out of me that with fewer than 200 miles on my bike I already have the oil leak from where the wires come out of the top of the stator cover. Yes, it's a simple fix, but a fix that I should not have to even think about after dropping 10 grand on a dirt bike. Stuff like this is not really acceptable.
  17. darren70

darren70 I don't own a KTM

Oddometer:
    Yes the little things. Get some large dia washers and pack it under the battery tray to stop it rubbing through the wiring loom underneath. Mine is raised 3mm
  18. decooney

decooney Enduro Rider

Oddometer:
    Yes. All my fault of course. :) I'm 200lbs, 5'10". Gave up trying to muscle it around and to stay out of trouble (hospital) trying to ride it like my 450s. Sold it to a 6'3" 225lb desert rider who also owns a 450 dirt bike. Went back to plan A. No trouble since.
  19. decooney

decooney Enduro Rider

Oddometer:
    From my dealer, at purchase both my KTM '14 690 enduro and '15 Husqvarna FE 501S came with a strong recommendation of two set of filters, Motorex premium 4T mineral based oil for the first two oils changes, and a 3rd set of synthetic for the 3rd oil change. I follow my dealers directions so they will warranty it if something goes south during the coverage period.

Follow your dealer's recommendations if warranty coverage is involved. I've read how some people dump the initial oil quickly (first 1hr) and then put synthetic right back in, so I wonder if this could be part of the problem. I run two batches of mineral based oil first, then synth on the 3rd change if I even go to synth.

As others have noted here, there are other threads on ADVRider, KTMForum, and others about the unexplained oil consumption and non-seating rings situations. Knock on wood, neither of my recently new bikes consume extra oil but I tend to do nothing but focus on seating the rings the first few hours of operation with accel/decel runs and this type of oil change process.
  20. Dan950ser

Dan950ser Two Wheeled Addict

Oddometer:
    Installed this trick piece today. No more dirt trying to get in the gas.

[​IMG]
    ciocio and Mainrollman like this.