The KTM 690 Enduro Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neepuk, Mar 6, 2015.

1. continentaldrifter

continentaldrifter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone here mount a 350 or 450 front fender on their 690 ? ....this 2017 690 oem fender flops like a fish...
  2. weeksy

weeksy n00b

Oddometer:
    Massively interesting that post... I've been noticing that my 4>5 and 5>6 felt 'different' on my 2019 690Duke (i know, stone the road guy) this explains is...

It's my 3rd 690 so i'm not missing gears/neutrals etc, but it's the first time i've seen an explanation.
  3. a2zworks

a2zworks Trust me, I'm Pablo

Oddometer:
    I found a new 2008-9 fender, I think it’s made by Acerbis
    260E104C-F70A-4629-B060-A7CBA4DAF536.jpeg
    daveburton and SADOX like this.
  4. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

Another option might be the oem motard fender, not sure about clearance with a 21" front though as never mounted the one I got with my bike.
    The motard fender is smaller and definitely less "floppy" than the offroady one.
    a2zworks likes this.
  5. Stephen

Stephen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That there is funny as shit.

Way to Zube it. :thumb
  6. outbacktm

outbacktm Bullrun Bison Supporter

Oddometer:
    Who is the maker of your gas tank?
  7. a2zworks

a2zworks Trust me, I'm Pablo

Oddometer:
  8. rev.co

rev.co more will than skill

Oddometer:
    It is my favorite tire ever on the 690.. I push it pretty hard on and off road and it is exceptional everywhere.. With 2700 miles, it’s still better than a new tkc80 in all conditions (my least favorite), and it’s got 1500+ left. the tkc was shot at 1200 miles. I’ve also run the mt21, d606, and Motoz xtreme hybrid- all great dirt tires. With the gt723, I don’t think I’ve given up much(if anything) off road, and it’s considerably better on pavement. For me, it’s the perfect, no compromise tire for the 690.
  9. trailrider77

trailrider77 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone ran the tubeless system from nuetech on their 690? Was wondering what’s the best alternative to tubes if you are going to dual sport on slab and dirt? If so what’s the best PSI with that system? Looking at doing the COBDR next summer and wondering the best tire combo as well. Currently have the stock TKC 80 tires. I am new to the 690 world. Down sizing from a 1090r.
  10. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's a Tubliss thread around somewhere with a lot of first-hand accounts of using it, complete with discussion about how it's not recommended for wider rims or road use, but lots of stories about doing it anyway successfully.
  11. aanichols

aanichols Racer at heart

Oddometer:
    I appreciate your thoughts. I have one on now with about 500 miles and so far my feeling the same as you do. I'm glad to hear they get a lot of miles also. I've tried other tires I like that don't get much more than 600 miles but they are primarily for off road.
  12. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  13. s.ga.rider

s.ga.rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did my first valve adjustment on the 690 today, I did it early (1900 miles) due to valve noise. 2 were .10, 1 was .14( left it alone) and 1 was .06(adjusted to .11). I was surprised at how simple it was, especially with the rottweiler intake. Getting to the head was a piece of cake.
    Vegas800XC and rev.co like this.
  14. rev.co

Oddometer:
    yeah, I’ve had my stock air box out 3 or 4 times by now- only part of the job that bothers me.
  15. rev.co

Oddometer:
    Btw, I run 23-25 psi on the rear on pavement and as low as 16 off... i’m still getting great, even wear. Unfortunately the prices seem to have gone up and they’re not the easiest tire to find. I hope they can improve their us distribution.
  16. dansin

dansin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m running tubliss on my 690, no issues at all. Currently using MC360 mid hard tyres (which are awful) but will be changing back to Mitas EF07 rear and C19 front greens this winter for more grip.
  17. High Octane

High Octane Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My new 690 bike stand:

50F9A94F-F1FF-4722-B323-EB26264BA940.jpeg 4D571D79-3FDE-41A5-B0F8-FD78EF1E0134.jpeg
  18. Czechie

Czechie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Question on speedometer.
    After all my repairs are done, engine back and running the last problem bothering me is the speedo. After 3 years when the bike has not been run and a battery was disconnected, the odo meter got reset and I'm starting from zero. More of a admin problem to document this to the authorities in the Czech Republic then a technical problem. I also needed to reset the wheel size as it has been deleted as well, I will share the procedure below but my problem is different.

The speedo goes crazy, even at a very low actual speed, it shows much higher speed on the display and does not count any distance and this still continues even though the wheel size has been set properly. Has anyone experienced same or similar problem? Any tips and hints for me?

I was wondering how the speedo actually works, the black plastic sensor on the left fork must be receiving some signal, either from the screw (with a magnet in it) or from any other element on the disk break which is rotating around the sensor. As I was removing and reinstalling the disk break (swapping from my motard wheels), I guess the problem might be there. I have not identified any of the screws being special or any different, all seem to be the same. The sensor is receiving something as some speed is shown on the display so I would bet my money the problem is on the wheel rather than in the sensor or the speedo cable. I have it set on KM/h which it should be.

Please help me. Thanks

Changing the wheel size (2009 690R) - it might be already disclosed somewhere in the thread but for those who are interested I am sharing my recent experience.
    The wheel size is indicated on the display when you switch on the ignition. It comes under the "Length" word on the display and for 21" wheel it is 2205. For 17" (motard wheels it should be 1860 to 1882 depending on your tires - different experiences presented by different guys) you have to test it. I needed to google this process as it is not disclosed in my owners manual.

So in order to change the wheel size or reset it, you need to disconnect 2 (maybe 1 would be fine too) out of 3 white cubes connecting the wires to the black multi-functional display. Simply it just needs the juice to be flashing, the rest should be disconnected, you don't need to cut any wires as it is recommended in some other forums. Then you press "M" to get to trip 1. Then you hold both "M" and "S" buttons for cca 10 seconds. After that the wheel size number starts flashing and by pressing M you are adjusting the size up and by pressing S going down. When finished you need to press both M and S button simultaneously and switch off the ignition. When you switch the ignition back on, it should be already showing the wheel size you just changed to. Hope it will work for you.
  19. trailrider77

Oddometer:
    Just rode my new 2019 690. I was shocked at how light it felt compared to my 1090r. 150+ lbs lighter? Putting them side by side it was like David vs Goliath in overall size. Pushing the 690 around the garage felt like my 500. Took me a couple of years to finally get here. As I get older the less I need. Now to start the customization. I have the lowering link for now so swinging a leg over is a non issue.
    Vegas800XC, zoomdude57 and outbacktm like this.
  20. trailrider77

Oddometer:
    It appears in stock form the low end throttle response is pretty mellow. I am wondering if an sas/canister emissions delete + os2 sensor removal + wings exhaust + rade garage with twin filter upgrade will wake it up? I am thinking this would appear to allow the bike to breath better and run richer and cooler. Was curious of others experiences.