The KTM 690 Enduro Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neepuk, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

Hook it up on the top side, loop a thin rope between bottom hook and the kickstand foot - use a small rod to twist the rope and tighten it, just push hook into position once it’s more or less in the right place.
    And don’t forget the safety glasses when working with springs :-)
    daveburton, sprouty115 and wass like this.
  2. bpowa

bpowa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i used a needle nose vise grip and yank.. or you can buy a 20 dollar hook tool.
    DustyWheels likes this.
  3. a_ron

a_ron Adventurer

Oddometer:
  4. woodzrider

woodzrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use a brake spring tool. For the springs used to hold drum brake shoes. If you remember drum brakes.."...
    LSGiant and STRich like this.
  5. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    Brake spring tool for drum brakes is either needle nose pliers or a pair of cutting pliers :)
    Shawnee Bill likes this.
  6. a2zworks

a2zworks Trust me, I'm Pablo

Oddometer:
    I have always been able to put the spring on and then the bolt will go on without too much effort using the stand itself as a lever.
  7. s.ga.rider

s.ga.rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have a part number and how to for a better o ring for the clutch slave? After reading about all the failures, I want to replace it before a trip next month. Not wanting to spend the money on the oberon right now.
  8. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the size for a 950/990, but not sure it's the same for 690's.

You may have to just pull it down and mic it. Inside diameter (on the piston) and thickness (slot width on the piston). Then go to McMaster Carr and order. A viton compound would hold up better to oil and brake fluid.
  9. MattF44

MattF44 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone have a good source for spark plugs for a 2014 690? I’m about to do my 12,000mi service and it seems like they’re due for replacement.

I checked KTM Twins, but it seems they list LKAR8AI-9 instead of what’s in the manual (LKAR8BI-9). Maybe it is compatible?
    The do have the LMAR7A-9, so it’d be nice to order from one place.

I also checked Babbitt’s but they listed one of them at $34, which felt a little excessive. Plus my recent orders from them have taken forever to arrive, so the combination has me slightly less than enthused.
  10. Oddfellow

Oddfellow Beasty Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was going to buy them from my local shop. The long one was $46! The shorter one was just shy of $30. I’m still a trip away from 12k so I elected to wait. I did find one on Amazon for $13.36.

https://www.amazon.com/NGK-LKAR9BI9...-----------&vehicleName=2014+KTM+690+Enduro+R
    MattF44 likes this.
  11. MattF44

Oddometer:
    Thanks -- maybe Babbitts isn't as out of their mind's as I thought.

Looks like the plug on Amazon is the same as what KTM Twins sells. Oddly, Amazon says the part number listed in my manual does not fit the bike (LKAR8BI-9) while this one (LKAR9BI-9) does.

It'd probably help if I educated myself as to what the codes mean, but that would take all the fun out of it.
  12. Eataz

Eataz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    AllSeasonRider likes this.
  13. BigWally

BigWally Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Recently bought both plugs from RMA for around $45.
  14. bigmo

bigmo The Great White North

Oddometer:
    Before you get too far invested in farkle - start with the exhaust. Getting rid of that nuclear furnace solved 99% of my complaints. I'm thousands of miles and many big rides into my simple setup now (no emissions stuff and new exhaust). I went with the Leo Vince as it was well under $300 and I've had great luck with them in the past...it's a great option for the 690.

All my complaints about the bike in stock form vanished. I stopped modding it and just love it for what/how it is.
    NoelJ and trailrider77 like this.
  15. River-Runner

River-Runner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Regarding the spark plug posts above: 2015 690 Rottweiler intake and aftermarket silencer.

So what is the difference between NGK LKAR8AI-9 and NGK LKAR8BI-9? Is one better for the opened up 690?

It's time for me to change plugs as well.

Thank you.
  16. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    "B" has a removable nut on the terminal, "A" has a solid end.

ngk.jpg
  17. GF-kam

GF-kam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey NJ-Bill,

Came across your post from 2017. I am in similar situation. Looking to migrate from a heavily modded out WR250R to something like KMT 690 Enduro. I am looking for something less buzzy and more street worthy than my WR250R. But, still hope to do fire roads and mellow dirt roads. Reliability is still a concern and seat comfort. Any updated comments to share between your WRR and 690 experience ?

GF-kam
  18. MattF44

Oddometer:
    I don't want to speak for @NJ-Bill, but I know that I bought his 690 from him this past winter. I believe he had bought a Beta and was really concentrating on more dirt bike style riding down in the Pine Barrens. Granted, he may have also mentioned that he might also get another WR.....so take that for whatever it's wort (and with a grain of salt...as I was totally fixated on the 690 when we met).

For whatever it is worth, I moved down from a 990 and have been blown away at how much more capable the 690 is when the going gets a little rougher. It's certainly boosted my confidence and been a hell of a lot of fun in doing so. Knowing all bikes are a bit of a compromise, I think KTM nailed it with this one. Good luck.
  19. GF-kam

GF-kam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey MattF44,

No problem all good. You're input is spot on.

I have two bikes. One is a 2012 BMW F800GS and my xBDR bike is a 2012 Yama WR250R. I am getting too short for my tall F800GS. Not to mentioned very heavy F800GS. So I keep my F800GS to nothing more than gravel roads. I actually started looking for something smaller and lighter to transition from 530 lb. F800GS. Call it adventure touring bike. The KTM 690 Enduro R has always on my short list. I finally got a chance to ride a lowered one last week. Felt good. I was impressed my power, suspension, weight, and ergonomics. Seat might be only issue. But, ll around bike.

I am just thinking instead of taking a big hit on my F800GS to swap my WR250R for KTM 690 Enduro R. Living in northern VA, I am mostly on country roads and some gravel roads. I don't do anything like single track

Appreciate your input.
  20. NJ-Bill

NJ-Bill Life is good Supporter

Oddometer:
    Matt is correct. The 690 was great, but I am riding almost no street anymore, so it was overkill. My big bike is now a WR250R and my small bike is a Beta 300 2-stroke. :lol3